On our way to a new period of dominance?

No stop talking rubbish. Man Utd are on the verge of being back at the top and a period of dominance by them is surely inevitable. I mean those youngster's Ibrahimovic & Carrick are the backbone of their team for years to come. And Griezmann is definitely their player.

I love how we are playing. But we are hardly dominating. Pretty sure Chelsea's current position, record over the past 6 years and squad are at least somewhat competitive to ours. And they have the Kante player already you say is key to us continuing to dominate.

We might not be dominating right here, right now but, the signs are extremely good for us potentially dominating the next 5-6 seasons. Sane, Jesus & Sterling at their age now look like one of the best front 3 in the world. What are they going to be like in another 2-3 seasons? Class like De Bruyne & Silva supplying those 3 with ammunition too. Wowzers.

I am just happy with our progress and more than happy with the style of football and thrilled with the trophies we have won, let's not get to giddy boys and girls.

I dont really see any team dominating in the near future. There are a number of clubs with strong squads and with the financial muscle to add to those squads. I recently laughed when one of the gentlemen of the press predicted that we are about to enter a period of dominance by Chelsea. But ridiculous as that is, its equally absurd to write off Chelsea after this season. A few outstanding buys by any of the top 6, coupled with a season when luck goes their way, might be enough to win a title.

Over that time period chelsea have racked up a couple of pots too and I think it's gonna continue to be a shared dominance over the next few years from us and them.

I don't even think about the rags as rivals at present, their time has been and gone, they may win a couple of trophies every so often but they are no threat. sounds a bit arrogant I know, but

I think we are entering a period of dominance and we are a few players away from being unstoppable. This season we were the best team in the league but defensive mistakes, injuries, and not taking our chances cost us. We were outplayed in only one game the loss vs Spurs. Players like Clichy and Kolarov at LB were directly at fault for a number of goals this season. Stones as well to a lesser extent but he is young and improving.

We have one of the best forward lines with Sane-Jesus-Sterling, all have the potential to be the best in the world IMO. If Aguero stays and continues playing like he did vs Monaco we'll be even more dangerous. KDB and Silva are among the best in their positions and the addition of Isco would be a great supplement to them and as a back-up winger.

The key to us going up a level is improving the back 5.

LB-Clichy to leave, and Kolarov will probably stay as backup CB given he has a year left on his contract.
RB-Possibly both Zaba and Sagna leave, only one will stay.
CB-Stones and Kolarov here, Otamendi to leave, Kompany unreliable due to fitness.
GK- Willy or Bravo to leave, one new GK to come in.

At RB and LB we need to be players with pace who can defend . Our LBs this season cannot defend and are slow. RBs can defend but are slow. Add pace to these positions and we are a new team. Sane and Sterling will be even more dangerous with quality full backs supporting them.

CB- We probably need two CBs this summer. A CB in the Kompany mold and a left foot one which is something Pep is looking for. There has been a lack of leadership in defense without Kompany and bringing in a leader would tighten up our defense. Stones would also massively improve with a more experienced CB shouting instructions next to him. Our targets seem to be Laporte/Van Dijk/Bonucci. 2 or even 1 of the 3 and we improve a lot. Pep might also try to use the back 3 next season. He tried it this year but quickly saw it was a failure as we don't have the players necessarily at the back for that formation. With Stones plus 2 of the 3 above, I could see the back 3 being a success.

The PL is getting more competitive every year but we are improving as well. With our players becoming more familiar with Pep's ideas and Pep learning about the league and his players, we'll be even better next year.

We have had two main problems this season.
1. Defensive mistakes
2. Not taking our chances

Recently we've been scoring goals and taking our chances and are unbeaten in our last 7 games, don't think that will be an issue anymore with the emergence of Sane and Jesus. Buying real quality at RB, LB, CB, another GK and I think we are a different team and genuinely think that we could run away with the title next season if the players are motivated. Arsenal look like losing some of their best players and won't compete for the title next season, they could even be worse off IMO. Spurs will be in the top 4 mix but won't challenge. Chelsea will strengthen but will have European football and won't be as good as this season because of it. Rags will probably spend a lot again, still think they will miss out on top 4 this season making them a less attractive option for players, they'll fight for top 4 next season but not the title. Liverpool, think it will be the same old story with them, they're afraid to spend the money needed to turn them in title challengers. It will probably be between us and Chelsea next season again, with all the other teams in the mix but not genuinely capable of winning it.

We are in a similar position to 2012 after we won the title. On the brink of dominance, we only needed to buy a few quality players which we didn't do and our progress stagnated. I believe with Pep as manager and the board firmly behind him he'll bring in the players we need and next season we'll be a real force.

Not sure there will be any team who dominates as such again. As long as we're one of the clubs fighting for silverware at the business end of the season each year then we can be happy.
I tend to agree with those who feel the last few years have been a wasted opportunity. The time to dominate was after our first title win under Mancini but Platini and Gill put paid to that.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.