On our way to a new period of dominance?

For 6 years we have been the dominant team in English football.

2011 FA Cup
2012 League Title
2013 Runners-up, FA Cup finalists
2014 League winner, League Cup
2015 Runner-up
2016 League Cup, 4th in the League

Man Utd fans were convinced it would never happen. But it did. It was not going to last forever, and this last couple of seasons it has become clear that Mancini's team needed renewing.

Most great teams are one offs. They have their time, and then they are up:

Man City of Bell, Lee and Summerbee,
Man Utd of Best Law and Charlton
Spurs of Bill Nic
Villa winning the European Cup
Wengers Invincibles
Clough's Forest
Ipswich
Even Newcastle had a good team for a while.
The Football League is littered with teams like Wolves, Leeds, Sunderland, Huddersfield who had a brief time in the sun. In some cases more than one.

Liverpool and Man Utd managed to renew their teams and went on and on. They'd replace players at their peak.

We have been in transition though we probably did not realise it. The team Mancini built is being rebuilt and I think we're very close to having a new team that can challenge for honours. We have a fantastic forward line in Sterling, Sane, Aguero and Jesus. And so young. I think they are all going to be superstars. We have Silva and De Bruyne. In defence we have John Stones who will grow and develop. Bravo is derided everywhere but I think he will come good.

It's obvious that the defensive side of our game is not right, but we're possibly just one player away now from another team that is going to dominate for another 5 years, or more.

Do you think so too. Which position is key? For me defensive midfield. Get a Kante, De Jong, Barry in and that would be it. Sure we wouldn't be perfect. but we'd be ready to challenge. We are close as it is: 2nd, in the FA Cup and last 16 in Europe.

Next Summer we wont need to buy Sane, Sterling, Jesus, Stones etc. We just need 1/2 defensive players and that will be it. This is going to happen.

I don't know if I would agree with initial statement, sure we would have been had we kept Mancini but that she history!!
New era with Pep and things looking positive with young talent, doubt we will dominate though unfortunately

Did Pep surrender because Chelsea beat Swansea and City didn't play today, I must have missed that.

Today changed nothing, we could still catch them this morning, we can still catch them tonight. They still have games where they can drop points, and they don't have to lose, draws drop points too, and so long as we beat them there, we are still in with a chance.

No surrender but it's clear to most we accept that Chelsea have won the title this season, the refs seen to that in fixtures between Spurs and Chelsea.
We would have been on same points if the cheating scum bastards hadn't directly impacted those two games.

I don't know if I would agree with initial statement, sure we would have been had we kept Mancini but that she history!!
New era with Pep and things looking positive with young talent, doubt we will dominate though unfortunately

Without dwelling too much in the past ( Sorry Ian Aand Jenny Anderson ) know ones how things would have gone under Roberto post Wigan disaster not even Roberto , the owners or the players.

Its always speculation much like what would my house of sold for if I used an agent who is a stronger negotiator on my behalf with the same buyer than the dud I used.

His post City exploits suggest he is in the Mou camp of short sharp bursts before he and or others with some clout drift apart.

Us and Chelsea will do better than the rest over the next 5 years but no one will dominate. the league is too competitive and as soon as you are doing so well that you are involved in competitions on all fronts mistakes/tiredness/injuries kick in. In the next 5 years I predict 2 league titles. 1 champions league. 1 fa cup. 1 league cup and a partridge in a pear tree

The other factor is that "top 6" clubs can have a one off bad season, fail to qualify for the CL or Europa League, and then have a huge advantage the next season when they get their act together.

That's what I mean. Liverpool in 2014 (they won the league right?) Leicester last year and chelsea this year have all benefitted from no Europe. Between the qualifiers, group and first knock out round that's 10 extra games already. More tv money levels the playing field a little bit too for those behind us.

Makes it interesting though

This team is just coming together and we are 2nd. Imagine what we will be like when Jesus is back and we have plugged the defence

I'm really looking forward to getting some quality at the back in the summer window but with there being 3 or 4 changes to our whole defence that could take a while for everyone to get used to each other. No other top 6 club will make so many changes in one area.

One thing in our favour is no tournament football this summer. If we can get our signings in early then Pep will have plenty of time to drill the new recruits.

This team is just coming together and we are 2nd. Imagine what we will be like when Jesus is back and we have plugged the defence

Although we've been talking about plugging the defense for a few years

We haven't dominated and in itself that mindset is very 'ragish'. If anything I'd say Chelsea have been the dominant team in the past 10 years, we have had a bit of success. Considering I personally never dreamed I'd even see City lift the Carling cup, I'm more than happy with that! I'd agree that the squad is looking stronger now for the future and all we need is a few good defenders to really challenge consistently. Its increasingly hard to 'dominate' the league nowadays but if City keep pushing this direction I'll be more than happy.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.