Our best/worst overseas signing(s)?

Big Swifty

Since the massive influx of foreign players began, City have done more than their share.
I thought on Saturday that Sergio and David must be our best signings ever from a foreign club. But who else would join that elite list? Certainly Kompany, Yaya, Zabaleta, Kinkladze, probably Rosler, de Jong, Benarbia, now (hopefully) KDB as well. Many would put Dzeko and Kolarov in, but they polarize opinion to some extent, as does Navas. For value for money I would include Gerard Wiekens, a snip at £500,000 with 182 League games to his name and a stalwart in the bad times.
Others did some good things but were not out-and-out successes - Balo, Robinho, Jovetic, Corluka, Nastasic,Jovetic, Petrov, etc, etc. Some need time to be judged: Otamendi, Mangala, Willy.
Some were - let's face it - wastes of money: Jo, Corradi, Frontzeck, Samaras, Caicedo, Castillo, Groenendijk, Kavelashvili........others were just bit-part players who barely featured: Belmadi, Dabo, Trabelski, Berti, Isaaksen, but at least they didn't cost a fortune.

N.B. I exclude foreign players signed from other English clubs, such as Sagna, Anelka, Tevez, Adebayor, Berkovic, Nasri, Roque SC and the like - although we all have opinions on the value-for-money rating of some of those.

I've prob. left some out, but the list is too long to include every Tom, Dick and Jose!

Yep. Right up there with the maddest signings of all time. Thanks for the addition to my catalogue.

Worst is Corradi by a country mile, all the rest either managed some positive contribution while they were here or we managed to recoup some value on them.

Caicedo wasn't a waste of money just very badly handled by us.
We had a player who could have been developed into a solid PL player and got our money back or more on him but we binned him in favour of dross like RSC and Adebayor.
Now doing OK for Espanyol and played 55 times for Ecuador.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.