Our glaring weakness at LB, will it be fixed?

As anyone actually thought the reason we are wide open on the left because we play silva who is a flair player on the left giving zero protection to the full back.play delph left mid and ask him to protect the left side.

I've just gone and watched the goal again as my memory of it was pretty much non-existent.

As a left back, it's not his job to be tracking the run of Ronaldo there. his initial positioning is fine, he's doing his job. He's reasonably close to his centre back and also has their right winger in his sights infront of him. If the centre back does what you'd expect him to do and goes with Ronaldo there's little to no danger. However, he didn't, Kolarov's seen the run, seen the centre back not tracking and tried to come around on the cover but he wasn't quick enough against one of the quickest players around. I just find it odd that people are slating Kolarov for basically trying to cover the youngsters mistake. The weird thing is, if he had just stood there in line with Humphries and not bothered, Ronaldo still would of scored but he wouldn't be getting the slating he currently is when infact not trying to cover him would be more deserving of the abuse.

This is the best shot i could get of the goal. To me that's in line with Humphries just as the ball has been played over.

Kolarov should be right accross near Humphries & either holding the line or right on top of Ronaldo in a position to cover. He has nothing else to worry about & he is in the ideal position to see the run & the pass & stop it An absolute classic example of shit fullback play of the kind Neville will highlight every week on Sky (but be stranded in the same position himself if he was playing for England). Basically Kolarov is saying to Humphries 'don't make a mistake as I won't be there to help if you do' rather than, 'if I hadn't ben there, that would have been a goal, be more aware'. The bloke has no instinct for defending whatsoever.

He's ready. 100%, i can't wait to see him in a City shirt!
The problem we have with Angelino, is one I mentioned a while back on the academy forum, he's fucking atrocious in the air. In two & a half games now, he hasn't even come within 3 feet of winning a single header. If he plays fullback in the first team, someone will have to take his position at every set piece & cover every cross.

Other than that, he's been superb, but it's a big problem & we can't ignore it.

The problem we have with Angelino, is one I mentioned a while back on the academy forum, he's fucking atrocious in the air. In two & a half games now, he hasn't even come within 3 feet of winning a single header. If he plays fullback in the first team, someone will have to take his position at every set piece & cover every cross.

Jordi Alba 170cm,Marcelo 172cm,Juan Bernat 172cm,Evra 173cm,Angelino 176cm.For left back is not important height.

Where's the problem? He's usually not in a position where he's gonna head it anyway.

When Nycfc is taking corners, Angelinos instructions are to stay right outside the box, at the nearest corner.

There is a Zaba clone that plays on the left side for Valencia. Orban is his name. He is an Argie too.

Here is his touches against Madrid

Here is a general highlight of him. He
often plays in a Center 3 now as Gaya plays the wingback role. But he is clearly a natural LB. Kind of like Blind of United, albeit not the passer Blind is. But if you
want Zaba quality defending at the LB position, he is your man.

Here is a general highlight video

Wow that's a monster defender. Just some random question, do you watch all leagues? I only find city games interesting and maybe barca. O

Where's the problem? He's usually not in a position where he's gonna head it anyway.

When Nycfc is taking corners, Angelinos instructions are to stay right outside the box, at the nearest corner.

Yes, you have noticed that, & it's absolute proof of what I'm talking about. So straight away we let's say, Sterling, Silva, Aguero in the team. There's 3 missing at the set pieces, as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike. Now add Angelino, 4. So we are defending vs Tony Pulis or LVG, with 6 players. One of them is Yaya, so make that 5. They are going to score at some point. we already have a big problem with this, even if Angelino doesn't play. We are going to have a side with 3 or 4 players who don't contribute at defending set pieces already. I would currently back David Silva defending a corner ahead of Angelino.

Imagine the right winger is someone like David White or Trevor Sinclair. Who defends the left back spot vs those kind of players if Angelino is playing there ? David Silva ? The oppo won't use this as a tactic ? Why ? They are stupid & don't want to win ?

Tbh I've had this discussion before & just gave up in the end, but people saying that a fullback heading the ball doesn't matter are talking such nonsense & if they stopped for one second to think about it, they would realise it. And I'll point them to the goal Fellaini scored v City even vs a fullback who is decent in the air, as an example. That would have been Angelino. Imagine we are a goal down at the swamp, our defenders all have a man each, & we look to the far post & see Felaini stood with Angelino.

Imagine that sinking feeling as we realise we are going to get absolutely fucking anihilated. This is not a maybe btw, Orlando were purposely hitting almost every long pass to Angelino's corner, because the striker can hold him back like a small child & control the ball unopposed. If they can see it, you can bet Tony Pulis or LVG can.

Messi would destroy Angelino in the air, never mind James Milner.

It's not so simple, just throwing Angelino into this team.

Angelino will definitely come in next season.

But another season of Clichy/Kolarov could cost us IMO.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.