Our relationship with the Champions League

Same here. The under 30's have been warped by marketing into thinking that the champions league is the best competition on the planet.

Personally I don't mind it but that more because of the away trips. I still very rarely get emotional about the games and I can't see that changing but some of the football played by some of the teams were competing with pisses all over watching Middlebrough or Manure park the bus at our place. So all in all I enjoy the trips and the football displayed but I've just not got a connection with the competition in the same way I do with the league.
Chelsea Fan.

100% agreed. Back in 2012, I was telling anyone who would listen that I would gladly have swapped the two trophies we won that season, FAC & CL, for the Premier League that you won. The CL is a great competition. Much better in my opinion than its predecessor, the European Champions Cup, but it still means way less to me than the domestic title.

And, no, I promise you that has nothing to do with the current league table.

Edit: -

I also fully agree with those of you who continue to boo uefa's anthem. Not withstanding the fact that I like the new president, who strikes me as a bright bloke, there are so many reason's to boo that organisation. FFP is just one of them.

I'm sad to admit that my own club had been one of the most enthusiastic supporters of that horrible set of regulations. We had climbed the tree by spending a lot of money and we supported this bad rule in an effort to pull the ladder up after us. When your club & PSG started to spend big also, I said I hoped that you'd drive a gaping whole through the plan of the old money clubs (and Chelsea) to create a closed shop for themselves at the top of European football. Gald to see this is what seems to have happened.

Last edited:
Couldn't disagree more, I find it completely the opposite.
Yeah, I don't even know why I typed 'The League' think I meant to type 'The Champions League'.... edited now.

Under 30's (myself included) tend to prefer European football.

The experience we have gained in the competition will soon be of no use to us as those who have gained it will be gone. As long as our defence isn't a priority we wont be winning it anytime soon. Making us hard to beat would greatly improve our chances and may also change supporters attitudes towards it. The league title is still the one for me.

Think the booing has ran it's course now and think we've made our point.
Never really taken to the Champions league, not for any reason in particular but the Monaco game I think has slightly changed my opinion but that's mainly down to what a great game it was rather than the competition it was in
Premier league comes first for me all day long but wouldn't object to winning it

I appreciate many City fans have moved on from the booing, but I can't forgive Platini, UEFA, Gill, United, Arsenal, Bayern Munich, and a host of other cartel clubs for doing what they did to City. Bar Bayern, all of those clubs were £billions in debt, and still increasing, filed and diverted their revenues through tax havens, broke the law regarding signing players, yet UEFA at the time and still to this day, turned a blind eye, while making a point of targeting and attacking City(and PSG) in the media and in public.

It was a well organised campaign from the very top of UEFA against City, and nothing was going to stop UEFA & Co from doing as much damage to City as possible. And look where Platini is now. Not to mention the position Gill holds at UEFA. I'm still booing.

The experience we have gained in the competition will soon be of no use to us as those who have gained it will be gone. As long as our defence isn't a priority we wont be winning it anytime soon. Making us hard to beat would greatly improve our chances and may also change supporters attitudes towards it. The league title is still the one for me.
We'll mostly be losing players that had experience in going out at the group stage or round of 16 and keeping players that have made a semi final and hopefully at least the quarters this year, not too worried.

It's hard to love a corrupt competition. PSG were wrongfully eliminated with 2 none penalties given against them so the UEFA darlings could progress, nothing magical about that.
correct.

I go to every CL game , I attend the away legs entirely for the jolly. the matches are meaningless. i'm not even sure i'll actually go to the stadium next week. I may just stay in Nice and get stitched up from the comfort of the hotel bar.

correct.

I go to every CL game , I attend the away legs entirely for the jolly. the matches are meaningless. i'm not even sure i'll actually go to the stadium next week. I may just stay in Nice and get stitched up from the comfort of the hotel bar.

I doubt the hotel will show the footy, and it will be very expensive at the bar. May as well take a few cans to the beach and listen on the wireless.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.