Our relationship with the Champions League

Almost as annoying as that god-awful dirge of an 'anthem'

As Zim so eloquently put it, fuck em, let's stick it to the man'.
Had to have a smile at our players laughing their socks off when the anthem was booed before ko

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

When I saw the players smiling it reminded me of old Voltaire for some reason (:

I wonder if last night may have impressed on people that we can actually hope to win the competition at some point. Perhaps before last night it was somehow a rags/dippers competition and that somehow influenced peoples view of it. Which ever way you look at it its the biggest club competition in the world and has been for many years. I have loved it and wanted to see City in it since the early 70s when Ajax won it three times on the spin.

Not liking it on account of UEFA doesnt make sense either in many respects, yes they are bent, yes they have had our pants down, and yes the whole organisation is infested with utter utter c----, despite Plantinis departure. At the end of the day the FA is no different, and nor are the powers that be in the Premier league. Not liking the custodians of these competitions is a seperate issue in my book, and have never understood those blues who trotted out lines about the Champions league not being as important as the Premier League, absolute nonsense frankly.

I wonder if last night may have impressed on people that we can actually hope to win the competition at some point. Perhaps before last night it was somehow a rags/dippers competition and that somehow influenced peoples view of it. Which ever way you look at it its the biggest club competition in the world and has been for many years. I have loved it and wanted to see City in it since the early 70s when Ajax won it three times on the spin.

Not liking it on account of UEFA doesnt make sense either in many respects, yes they are bent, yes they have had our pants down, and yes the whole organisation is infested with utter utter c----, despite Plantinis departure. At the end of the day the FA is no different, and nor are the powers that be in the Premier league. Not liking the custodians of these competitions is a seperate issue in my book, and have never understood those blues who trotted out lines about the Champions league not being as important as the Premier League, absolute nonsense frankly.
Why is it nonsense to value being the champions regularly in the prem more important than the corrupt CL?

City fans have always really irked me with this "I don't like the Champions League" opinion. It's certainly a minority, but it's always been there.

When you've watched the club struggle for decades at the same time as watching your rivals rise to the top of the game, it's ludicrously small-minded to not relish every game of the top level football.

Winning this is the final hurdle now for the club and our progress is fascinating, and brilliant to watch. And when we do it will feel like winning the league back in 2012, and I'm proud that I've witnessed every step of the evolution.

City fans have always really irked me with this "I don't like the Champions League" opinion. It's certainly a minority, but it's always been there.

When you've watched the club struggle for decades at the same time as watching your rivals rise to the top of the game, it's ludicrously small-minded to not relish every game of the top level football.

Winning this is the final hurdle now for the club and our progress is fascinating, and brilliant to watch. And when we do it will feel like winning the league back in 2012, and I'm proud that I've witnessed every step of the evolution.
ok quick question.

what would you rather win, this or the prem?

prem all day long for me.

I think some of us feel like the spotty unpopular kid at school who never gets invited to the cool parties. When you finally manage to gate crash the party you find your about as welcome as diahorrea on day 2 of your Ibiza holiday. We did love the competition but our love was unrequited. There is corruption at this sport at every level in FIFA and UEFA, this has been proven. It's naive to think that it doesn't exist when it comes to the draws and match officials. David Gill has been the Scum's player of the year for the past five years plotting in UEFA to keep Manchester United and the rest of the struggling G14 (both Milan clubs spring immediately to mind) in competitions they cannot qualify for on the pitch.

In short, I despise the bastards and would dearly love us to win the trophy just to piss them off.

ok quick question.

what would you rather win, this or the prem?

prem all day long for me.

Are you kidding me, Bill? This by a mile! So would The Sheikh and so would Pep, because it would put the club at the top table forever, which would increase our fanbase, our revenue, our status, the players we could sign etc. This would lead to many many Premier League wins.

We will win plenty of premier leagues over the next 5 years but the Champions League is the holy grail now for the whole club. The final hurdle. And if anyone doubts that this very team will, under this manager and with this owner, they are not paying attention.

Not changed for me, id still rather the prem and the fa cup. The main reason i want to win the champs league is to rub their faces in it

Why is it nonsense to value being the champions regularly in the prem more important than the corrupt CL?

The Champions league/European Cup is the pinnacle of club football, you cannot win a bigger or prestige laden trophy. We want to be mentioned worldwide in the same breath as Barcelona, Real Madrid, and even the scum....have to win the Champions league to achieve that, and probably more than once. I agree it is corrupt, but come on Karen is it any more corrupt than the PL?

Winning the league is important, i dont say less important to us than the CL...though I suspect it may well be in the eyes of the club hierachy. It has to be at least on a level par for supporters at least. If i had a choice of finishing 4th this season but winning the CL or winning the Prem and losing in the semi of the CL i would take the CL in a flash, in the main because we havent won it...we have won the PL twice recently.

Good post pal,winning the Champs league,despite the politics and bullshit that goes with it.....has to be our ultimate goal.When there is no greater club prize on offer,how can it not be?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.