Oxford student Lavinia Woodward spared jail for knife attack

Southern

One rule for us and another for 'them'? Thoughts?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-41389520

An "extraordinary" Oxford University student who stabbed her boyfriend in the leg has avoided a prison sentence.

Lavinia Woodward, 24, admitted attacking the man at her student accommodation at Christ Church College after drinking heavily.

At an earlier hearing Judge Ian Pringle QC said he believed a custodial sentence would damage her career.

On Monday she was given a 10-month jail sentence suspended for 18 months for inflicting unlawful wounding.

Oxford Crown Court heard Woodward attacked her then boyfriend, who she had met on dating app Tinder, while he was visiting her in December.

She became angry when he contacted her mother on Skype after he realised she had been drinking.

She threw a laptop at him and stabbed him in the lower leg with a breadknife, also injuring two of his fingers. Woodward then tried to stab herself with the knife before he disarmed her.

'Relatively minor' injuries
The court heard Woodward had become addicted to drugs while in an abusive relationship with a previous boyfriend.

The case was the subject of huge debate about inequality in the criminal justice system, prompted by the judge deferring sentencing and describing the attack as "a complete one-off".

He had described Woodward as "an extraordinary able young lady" and said a custodial sentence would damage her hopes of becoming a surgeon.

_98008147_2c99b72d-038b-41fb-adc6-c782e6269d81.jpg

Image captionThe judge said Woodward had had shown a "strong and unwavering determination" to get over addiction
Handing down a suspended sentence, Judge Pringle said there were "many, many mitigating factors" and the injuries inflicted were "relatively minor".

He said she had shown a "strong and unwavering determination" to get over her class A drug and alcohol addiction.

"I find that you were genuinely remorseful following this event. whilst you are a clearly highly-intelligent individual, you had an immaturity about you which was not commensurate for someone of your age."

Woodward faced a possible maximum sentence of three years in prison.

Remember her face, as she leaves the court smirking. This woman will kill someone.

The thing I find hard to accommodate is the notion that if you have a career and a prison sentence might do harm to it, then yer get off! It's shocking.

Even broke her bail condition when getting in touch with the victim. Her class and social standing is the reason she got off.

I hope she beats whatever demons she has, as she's one lucky girl not to be behind bars.

Remember her face, as she leaves the court smirking. This woman will kill someone.
Look on the bright side, when she becomes a surgeon she'll be able to repair any damage her actions may cause. Or she could end up being another "Dr Death"

Toff saving toff. I'm sure she will be very charitable with her surgeons earnings in the future.

Note to self: Get good job....then a little stabbing, being drunk, doing drugs, attempted murder...probation to keep said good job. Got it!

Take the petty drug offenders out of prisons and into rehab facilities, so there are places for people who commit personal violence against others.

And this on the day a guy who sent a dick pic to a 15 year old who egged him on gets 21 months! Now, I'm not saying it is right to send a dick pic to a 15 year old, even if she egged you on, but in our PC world we are losing sight of real damage and crime.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.