Pablo Maffeo - 2016/2017 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Garcia, but he's not a replacement right now for Fernando.

I think he fits our system as a defensive midfielder better than Fernando. Much more comfortable on the ball and better mobility. Kid just needs a chance and not 10 mins here and there.

Agreed. They're apples and oranges. I think Garcia looks class but he plays a very different role to Fernando and I'm not sure now is the time to throw him in the squad when we just seem to be regaining our rhythm

Fernando will drop straight out now Diniho is back from suspension.

I think he fits our system as a defensive midfielder better than Fernando. Much more comfortable on the ball and better mobility. Kid just needs a chance and not 10 mins here and there.

Defensively Fernando is ten times the player García is. Hell, defensively Fernando is better than anyone in our squad bar Kompany on his day. I like García but he's no replacement for Fernando, at least not for a few years until he's stronger and hopefully a bit bigger. I see him more as a player to come in and play between Fernando/Fernandinho and Silva/De Bruyne, in the same space Gundogan would occupy.

So Girona won 2-0 last night, they are 2nd, 8 points clear in an automatic promotion spot.

Maffeo played 90 minutes again. If he belonged to Girona he'd be a starting right back in La Liga next season, which means he must be more than good enough to play a role in our squad next year. He's impressed every time i've seen him.

Nice piece of skill with him skinning a couple of players:

Last edited:
So Girona won 2-0 last night, they are 2nd, 8 points clear in an automatic promotion spot.

Maffeo played 90 minutes again. If he belonged to Girona he'd be a starting right back in La Liga next season, which means he must be more than good enough to play a role in our squad next year. He's impressed every time i've seen him.

Nice piece of skill of him skinning a couple of players:

Cheers for that. He's impressed me every time I've watched him, but it's that kind of attacking play that I'd like to see more of, hopefully we can see more of that from him if he comes back.

Very interesting situation if indeed they go up. Would they want him to stay and play a first team role in La Liga? Would we allow it? Either scenario would be fine by me, of course only if we assume that he'd play for them in there a level up too. Maybe it'd be even better than being second-choice RB to whoever here next season, as much as I'm impatient about pretty much any youth City player to finally get into our team. :) And Maffeo has been my favourite since like 3 or 4 years.

Very interesting situation if indeed they go up. Would they want him to stay and play a first team role in La Liga? Would we allow it? Either scenario would be fine by me, of course only if we assume that he'd play for them in there a level up too. Maybe it'd be even better than being second-choice RB to whoever here next season, as much as I'm impatient about pretty much any youth City player to finally get into our team. :) And Maffeo has been my favourite since like 3 or 4 years.

If he doesn't play for us next season then he never will. That's the reality of it. We're losing both senior RBs, if he can't use Maffeo next season, at 20 years old with 40 odd senior appearances in Segunda division (which he said was the experience he needed to be able to chuck the kids in) then he's never going to use him.

If he doesn't play for us next season then he never will. That's the reality of it. We're losing both senior RBs, if he can't use Maffeo next season, at 20 years old with 40 odd senior appearances in Segunda division (which he said was the experience he needed to be able to chuck the kids in) then he's never going to use him.

Maffeo played 13 times last year for Girona totaling about 500 minutes and played 5 times this year for about 400 minutes. There are 15 matches left and I doubt he will play every one. To go from Segunda division in Spain playing here and there to starting for City and truly being in the first team mix is asking too much of a 19-20 year old IMO. Thought Maffeo was great against the rags in the EFL match and very average vs Celtic in the CL. He needs more experience and we will probably buy an expensive RB this summer which means Maffeo probably wouldn't play much if he comes back.

Looks like Girona will be in La Liga next season. Think the best option would be to either loan him back to Girona again next season or negotiate a Rulli type deal where we sell him and have a buy back option. Playing in La Liga will be much more beneficial then sitting on the bench and playing the odd cup game for City. Would love to see him play a season in La Liga, come back to City and be a given a real chance to fight for his place.

To go from Segunda division in Spain playing here and there to starting for City and truly being in the first team mix is asking too much of a 19-20 year old IMO.

And this is where everything else you wrote falls down, because Pep explicitly said that he can trust players who have played in lower divisions. He said that when his youth players in Barcelona had played in the third division, that he could use them because they've experienced losing and big crowds and high pressure, but here he couldn't just throw the kids in because they've no experience.

So, if kids can go from the third division into one of the greatest club sides of all time, the they sure as hell can come in to replace our Right Backs.

As for Maffeo, once he got into the Girona team, he played every game he was fit for, missing 2 of the last 10 (including the play-offs) because of an injury.So I do expect him to play the vast majority of the last 15.

And I'll say again, if he doesn't play for us next season as 1st or 2nd choice RB, he'll never play for us, because at that point we'll be buying 2 new young RB's to replace Zabaleta and Sagna, and he'll realise that all his paths to the first team have been cut off and leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.