Pablo Maffeo - 2016/2017 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he doesn't play for us next season then he never will. That's the reality of it. We're losing both senior RBs, if he can't use Maffeo next season, at 20 years old with 40 odd senior appearances in Segunda division (which he said was the experience he needed to be able to chuck the kids in) then he's never going to use him.
Zabaleta was 23 when he came to City having played in the Spanish first division with nearly 80 appearances for Espanyol , he was still pretty raw then and was often second choice to Micah, I certainly wouldn't write off Maffeo if he has another spell on loan. He remains seriously young and inexperienced for a full back at the top end of the premier league.

Zabaleta was 23 when he came to City having played in the Spanish first division with nearly 80 appearances for Espanyol , he was still pretty raw then and was often second choice to Micah, I certainly wouldn't write off Maffeo if he has another spell on loan. He remains seriously young and inexperienced for a full back at the top end of the premier league.

Zabaleta coming in before the takeover and getting into the team because of Micah's injuries have got absolutely no relevance to this.

It's this simple. We're getting rid of 2 right backs this summer. 2 will come in.

Either 1 will be Maffeo or he'll never play for us. Why would he? Why would he put his career on hold again when there's 2 new young fullbacks brought in by the current manager for big money ahead of him? Why when he's already been overlooked at RB for Fernando??

Why, when the manager has said publicly he's happy with players experienced in the lower divisions, would he wait for a La Liga loan?

He'd be an idiot to stay in that scenario.

Zabaleta coming in before the takeover and getting into the team because of Micah's injuries have got absolutely no relevance to this.

It's this simple. We're getting rid of 2 right backs this summer. 2 will come in.

Either 1 will be Maffeo or he'll never play for us. Why would he? Why would he put his career on hold again when there's 2 new young fullbacks brought in by the current manager for big money ahead of him? Why when he's already been overlooked at RB for Fernando??

Why, when the manager has said publicly he's happy with players experienced in the lower divisions, would he wait for a La Liga loan?

He'd be an idiot to stay in that scenario.

My point about Zabaleta was that it can take quite a long time for full backs to mature.
Do we know that we are getting rid of two full backs and two young full backs are coming in?
Is it not possible that we will decide to keep one and only buy one full back or utilise a midfielder at full back . Or we could buy one older full back and though I consider it unlikely the rumours in some papers were that Dani Alves was wanted hardly a long term replacement.
Whereas I would agree that if we buy two young right backs Maffeos future looks doubtful, I disagree that the choice is necessarily binary between bringing back Maffeo and buying two young full backs.

Either 1 will be Maffeo or he'll never play for us.
This. I'll be seriously fucked off if this lad isn't a participating member of the first team squad next year, he's done everything that could be asked of him, played well when he's gotten a chance, if we sign two players to play ahead of him this summer not only will it be an extremely shitty way to treat the lad, but it's going to fuck off every single peer of his in the academy.

And this is where everything else you wrote falls down, because Pep explicitly said that he can trust players who have played in lower divisions. He said that when his youth players in Barcelona had played in the third division, that he could use them because they've experienced losing and big crowds and high pressure, but here he couldn't just throw the kids in because they've no experience.

So, if kids can go from the third division into one of the greatest club sides of all time, the they sure as hell can come in to replace our Right Backs.

As for Maffeo, once he got into the Girona team, he played every game he was fit for, missing 2 of the last 10 (including the play-offs) because of an injury.So I do expect him to play the vast majority of the last 15.

And I'll say again, if he doesn't play for us next season as 1st or 2nd choice RB, he'll never play for us, because at that point we'll be buying 2 new young RB's to replace Zabaleta and Sagna, and he'll realise that all his paths to the first team have been cut off and leave.

Yes he could use Maffeo but not as a starter right now. Would love to see him come back and be our starting right back next season but I think its very unrealistic for a club of our ambitions, especially as we are constantly being linked to a variety of RBs. Its one thing to trust lower division players in Spain and another thing in England. Barca and Real regularly rotate in their league games against weaker opposition something unheard of in England. Has any top team in England regularly used players from the Championship??? This is why I believe Aaron Mooy will probably be sold despite being one of the best players in his league. He can hope for a squad role at best in our team and even that is questionable. Players from top leagues around Europe come to England and struggle. A 19-20 year old playing in the Second league in Spain to starting for a team fighting for the title in England is the stuff of dreamers. He can may have a back up role here at best and get minutes in the cup and nothing more. At which point I ask...

Do you think its better for him to come back and sit on the bench here then have a starting role in La Liga?

Also think its unlikely we sign two RBs this summer. Personally think one of Zaba or Sagna will stay for the back up role probably Zaba.

Yes he could use Maffeo but not as a starter right now. Would love to see him come back and be our starting right back next season but I think its very unrealistic for a club of our ambitions, especially as we are constantly being linked to a variety of RBs. Its one thing to trust lower division players in Spain and another thing in England. Barca and Real regularly rotate in their league games against weaker opposition something unheard of in England. Has any top team in England regularly used players from the Championship??? This is why I believe Aaron Mooy will probably be sold despite being one of the best players in his league. He can hope for a squad role at best in our team and even that is questionable. Players from top leagues around Europe come to England and struggle. A 19-20 year old playing in the Second league in Spain to starting for a team fighting for the title in England is the stuff of dreamers. He can may have a back up role here at best and get minutes in the cup and nothing more. At which point I ask...

Do you think its better for him to come back and sit on the bench here then have a starting role in La Liga?

Also think its unlikely we sign two RBs this summer. Personally think one of Zaba or Sagna will stay for the back up role probably Zaba.

No one is suggesting he has to be first choice, since when has second choice RB only played in cup competitions? Just to remind you, Zabaleta has played 24 games this season, and Sagna 20. One isn't playing every game while the other waits for a chance in the league cup.

and this bit is just patently untrue.

Barca and Real regularly rotate in their league games against weaker opposition something unheard of in England.

Not much about this makes sense tbh. Delle Alli has just walked from a league one side into the starting line ups of one of the strongest teams in the Premier League at the beginning of last season. The Championship is a higher standard compared to the PL than Segunda is to La Liga and Real and Barca both rarely rotate.
Mooy will probably be sold as our midfield is the toughest in the country to get into, he's up against Gundogan, Dinho, KDB and Silva for a starting spot next season. Maffeo at the moment is up against nobody and should be given a shot. If he's not, we may as well give up on the idea of having an academy. This lad has done everything right and deserves at least a season to see whether he's good enough to be part of the squad or not, he's no riskier than going out and buying the next over-hyped young right back from La Liga or the Bundesliga performance wise, far less risky financially and it's the chance to light a fire up the arse of every up and coming youngster we have by showing them it's possible to progress from the u17s to the first team squad here, something that hasn't been possible for a number of years.

No one is suggesting he has to be first choice, since when has second choice RB only played in cup competitions? Just to remind you, Zabaleta has played 24 games this season, and Sagna 20. One isn't playing every game while the other waits for a chance in the league cup.

and this bit is just patently untrue.

I imagine if we spend 30 to 40m on a RB we would rotate much less than we do now with two much older RBs. If we get a top quality RB, he would probably start the majority of games. Players like Walker, Bellerin, Valencia etc are playing pretty much every game when fit. I doubt Pep will put a top RB on the bench to give Maffeo game time.

I imagine if we spend 30 to 40m on a RB we would rotate much less than we do now with two much older RBs. If we get a top quality RB, he would probably start the majority of games. Players like Walker, Bellerin, Valencia etc are playing pretty much every game when fit. I doubt Pep will put a top RB on the bench to give Maffeo game time.

But those 3 players play for managers who never rotate, unlike our players, who play for a manager who famously makes more changes to his starting lineups than anyone else in football.

Not much about this makes sense tbh. Delle Alli has just walked from a league one side into the starting line ups of one of the strongest teams in the Premier League at the beginning of last season. The Championship is a higher standard compared to the PL than Segunda is to La Liga and Real and Barca both rarely rotate.
Mooy will probably be sold as our midfield is the toughest in the country to get into, he's up against Gundogan, Dinho, KDB and Silva for a starting spot next season. Maffeo at the moment is up against nobody and should be given a shot. If he's not, we may as well give up on the idea of having an academy. This lad has done everything right and deserves at least a season to see whether he's good enough to be part of the squad or not, he's no riskier than going out and buying the next over-hyped young right back from La Liga or the Bundesliga performance wise, far less risky financially and it's the chance to light a fire up the arse of every up and coming youngster we have by showing them it's possible to progress from the u17s to the first team squad here, something that hasn't been possible for a number of years.

Dele Alli is a one off and Spurs are not on our level, they are a strong team but don't see them winning the CL or PL anytime soon.

Maffeo had his chance, Pep assessed him and felt the best thing is to go out on loan if he was at the required level he would of started more games despite his age.

I want players to come through the academy as much as anyone but we need to be patient. Its extremely hard to get into our team and players shouldn't get game time just because they came from the academy. They need to merit their spot and game time. Kelechi is a great talent but the reality is Jesus and Aguero are both better therefore they play more. Pep has determined that Maffeo is not better than Sagna or Zaba therefore he hasn't played as much and was sent out on loan to further develop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.