Pablo Maffeo - 2017/2018 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have faith in his potential, so I'd agree let's keep him for another season an revaluate.

I’m really rooting for the kid and props to you for calling it. He’s constantly improving and he’s going to score one of those screamers my years end! Mark my words!

I’m all about that pace, especially at FB though so that’s the only bummer I have with Oz. The beauty of this era though is that I (we) can go into every summer and new season relatively stress free and have almost total faith in what the club decides to do. Praying for a two year extension this summer for Pep!

Actually, some do, some don't.
Juan Fran, Azpilicueta, Lahm, Carvahal, Pab Zab, Lucas Pitzchek, Ivanovic, Alonso to name a few who weren't particularly fast, but very good.

Don't let the exciting Alaba, Alba, Marcelo brand of fullback fool you into thinking that is the norm. It isn't. And this myth that Zichencko is uniquely unathletic or slow will die eventually.

He is neither slow nor unathletic. He is of averagely decent speed and athleticism. Somewhere between Filipe Luis and Pab Zab.
Mendy himself isn't THAT fast too

Actually, some do, some don't.
Juan Fran, Azpilicueta, Lahm, Carvahal, Pab Zab, Lucas Pitzchek, Ivanovic, Alonso to name a few who weren't particularly fast, but very good.

Don't let the exciting Alaba, Alba, Marcelo brand of fullback fool you into thinking that is the norm. It isn't. And this myth that Zichencko is uniquely unathletic or slow will die eventually.

He is neither slow nor unathletic. He is of averagely decent speed and athleticism. Somewhere between Filipe Luis and Pab Zab.
Can't say I've noticed the speed of everyone but my general impression is that top full backs are getting faster , its also not just top speed that I'm talking about but the stamina to get repeatedly up and down the pitch. Anyway lets hope your right because he's certainly got ability on the ball.

Mendy is fast, but he's not that agile. He's like Yaya of old, when you're that big it takes time to get up to speed but once he's bombing down the touchline he's pretty rapid.

He looked fairly agile during his hobble-cum-sprint selfie quest after Sterling hit the winner against the Saints.

It makes perfect sense as long as we get a decent fee and attach a buy back. Whether it was a mistake or not to buy Danilo, the money's already been spent, we've now got him, and at least for right now (probably not in the future) he's on par if not better that Maffeo. In the best case Maffeo goes, plays at a higher level, and we bring him back in a year or two a fully developed player, and in the worse case he's Kelechi and we've banked 25mm.

You are arguing that a 20 year old Maffeo trained by Pep is the same as a Maffeo trained by whoever we sell him to. He is an outstanding talent. Pep can raise his game to be our #1 RB in 3-4 years time. If you send him to Stoke with a buyback clause you are not going to get a player who could play for this team in 4 years.

Mendy is fast, but he's not that agile. He's like Yaya of old, when you're that big it takes time to get up to speed but once he's bombing down the touchline he's pretty rapid.
I agree with the Yaya comparison. Prime Yaya wasn’t exactly rapid I would say. But he was just so strong and reasonably fast that he could just shrug people off of him. I think Mendy is the same way. He’s not as fast as the Alabas but he’s stronger than them and could hold people off better.

World Class LB potential is incredibly kind! Really like the lad and he's been good but far far from exceptional

Key points to remember though:

He is 21
He is playing in one of the best sides in Europe and doing just fine
He started playing left back a month or so ago

Think we may find Maffeo goes for decent money in the summer. Pretty sure he has only 1 year left on his contract. After playing every week in La Liga would he be happy as a back up RB?

You are arguing that a 20 year old Maffeo trained by Pep is the same as a Maffeo trained by whoever we sell him to. He is an outstanding talent. Pep can raise his game to be our #1 RB in 3-4 years time. If you send him to Stoke with a buyback clause you are not going to get a player who could play for this team in 4 years.
I was definitely not arguing that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.