Pablo Maffeo

We should sell Sagna until he is too old, and his contract runs out, which happens next summer. There's no need to keep journeymen without future.

Promote Maffeo, Denayer and others. They deserve it and how are we going to find out if they're good enough? Sending them to, like, 3 loans, then letting them go and see them playing at top-level?

Stones, Sánè, Jeezus, etc wouldn't be at City now if they weren't given a chance with their 1st teams. It seems like Pep follows Pell's steps which is alarming. If we don't see a decent number of youngsters getting minutes in the 1st half of the season, then it will be more than alarming.

It's also interesting if he tries to sign and grow playmakers at all positions throughout academy like he does it with the 1st team.

Last edited:
We should sell Sagna until he is too old, and his contract runs out, which happens next summer. There's no need to keep journeymen without future.

Promote Maffeo, Denayer and others. They deserve it and how are we going to find out if they're good enough? Sending them to, like, 3 loans, then letting them go and see them playing at top-level?

Stones, Sánè, Jeezus, etc wouldn't be at City now if they weren't given a chance with their 1st teams. It seems like Pep follows Pell's steps which is alarming. If we don't see a decent number if youngsters getting minutes in the 1st half of the season, then will be more than alarming.

It's also interesting if he tries to sign and grow playmakers at all positions throughout academy like he does it with the 1st team.

Other than them making a contribution to the first team and having little sale value. Which are both characteristics of Bacary Sagna.

Stones, Sánè, Jeezus, etc wouldn't be at City now if they weren't given a chance with their 1st teams. It seems like Pep follows Pell's steps which is alarming. If we don't see a decent number if youngsters getting minutes in the 1st half of the season, then will be more than alarming.

Pep Guardiola has the best record in top level football for promoting academy players. He has said multiple times that he thinks it is integral to the team, and that he prefers to work with young players rather than established professionals, and that one day he'd like to go back to youth coaching. Just last week he said he left Yaya in Manchester because he'd rather Angelino and Tosin came instead.

If our kids can't get on the pitch under Guardiola, then they are the problem.

Like your work with the videos mate but you can't define Pep from two games. He's seen people training and decided who he thinks is best. I'd wager there will be at least one or two youth team players in the first team by the end of the season but for now, tactically, are they as aware as somebody like Sagna, Nolito or Clichy?

The later in the season, the less his value will be. Denayer may make a similar contribution if he's let onto the pitch.
We dont need the few millions we can get by selling Sagna. And yes Denayer may make a similar cobtribution, but I really doubt he would as both Pelle and Pep don't think he's good enough to take a place in the squad.

We dont need the few millions we can get by selling Sagna. And yes Denayer may make a similar cobtribution, but I really doubt he would as both Pelle and Pep don't think he's good enough to take a place in the squad.
Pell is not a guy to rely on in such cases. He regularly believed that Bony and MD were good enough. Pep prefers Caba to Hart and Kolarov and Nando to any other players.

Like your work with the videos mate but you can't define Pep from two games. He's seen people training and decided who he thinks is best. I'd wager there will be at least one or two youth team players in the first team by the end of the season but for now, tactically, are they as aware as somebody like Sagna, Nolito or Clichy?
A fair point that, that older players can be more tactically aware than the younger ones, but, at the same time, youngsters may adapt to new tactics better than experienced blokes. Moreover, each case is personal so it can't be definite.
Still, he's ready to sacrifice a position's key skills for passing ability, which is obviously his style, but will he be ready to sacrifice experience for the future (i.e. play more club-trained players so they'd be given chances and learn, rather than playing guys who will be done at the top level in a couple of years? (which Domalino hints to be Pep's style as well).

Pep hasn't shown it much yet, but even if he prefers to play all 1st team players vs Steaua so they'd gain form, that won't mean he doesn't like youngsters or something, until he plays them later in the season.

Pep Guardiola has the best record in top level football for promoting academy players. He has said multiple times that he thinks it is integral to the team, and that he prefers to work with young players rather than established professionals, and that one day he'd like to go back to youth coaching. Just last week he said he left Yaya in Manchester because he'd rather Angelino and Tosin came instead.

If our kids can't get on the pitch under Guardiola, then they are the problem.
Although our youth set-up is better than Bayern's, he barely promoted youngsters there. He did it in his beloved Barca.
Tosin and Angelino represent different positions than Yaya. Also, they might've traveled to Romania because they're on list B. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Guardiola also seems to like saying different things and even things contrary to each other, or things that don't make much sense, so I'd rather judge him by his actions now.
To add to that, he's likely to leave City in 3 years and, according to his 1st interview as City's coach, "he came here to learn".

Anyway, as I said, these are just speculations and we have to wait to see what will actually happen

Sagna and Zabaleta will both be leaving at the end of the season... Can't imagine we will give them another contract.

We might see him as either first choice or back up to another full back coming in

Pell is not a guy to rely on in such cases. He regularly believed that Bony and MD were good enough. Pep prefers Caba to Hart and Kolarov and Nando to any other players.

A fair point that, that older players can be more tactically aware than the younger ones, but, at the same time, youngsters may adapt to new tactics better than experienced blokes. Moreover, each case is personal so it can't be definite.
Still, he's ready to sacrifice a position's key skills for passing ability, which is obviously his style, but will he be ready to sacrifice experience for the future (i.e. play more club-trained players so they'd be given chances and learn, rather than playing guys who will be done at the top level in a couple of years? (which Domalino hints to be Pep's style as well).

Pep hasn't shown it much yet, but even if he prefers to play all 1st team players vs Steaua so they'd gain form, that won't mean he doesn't like youngsters or something, until he plays them later in the season.

Although our youth set-up is better than Bayern's, he barely promoted youngsters there. He did it in his beloved Barca.
Tosin and Angelino represent different positions than Yaya. Also, they might've traveled to Romania because they're on list B. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Guardiola also seems to like saying different things and even things contrary to each other, or things that don't make much sense, so I'd rather judge him by his actions now.
To add to that, he's likely to leave City in 3 years and, according to his 1st interview as City's coach, "he came here to learn".

Anyway, as I said, these are just speculations and we have to wait to see what will actually happen

His "bad" record with youth at Bayern is still better than nearly any other coach at the top of the game, and that's when Bayern had a really shit crop of kids.

And he didn't have to take Angelino or Tosin to Bucharest at all, he chose to.

You seem to be desperately searching for reasons to think pep won't be good for the academy kids. Just stop complaining 2 games into the his time here and be patient.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.