Pablo Zabaleta - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didnt look out of place in midfield did he and a few stray passes aside, did really well.

He was great tonight and probably made Pep feel a lot better about the CM situation.

Between Zabba, Garcia, Delph and Fernando I think we have a good mix there to cover Fernandinho's absence, they all have different strengths imo: Zabba is very good at linking up with attack as well as experience in defence(he did some organising tonight when it was needed, communicating with Ota and Stones), Garcia is very good making passes from deep for his age, Delph has pace and workrate if we need it and Fernando is great for adding some strength in defence as well as being tidier with the ball than people give him credit for.

Such a great example as a player. Tremendous workrate, intelligent and talented, plus he bleeds blue. I hope he goes into coaching for us one day.

Have we unearthed a dependable stand-by holding midfielder tonight? I don't remember him putting a foot wrong, albeit against a poor West Ham side. Not sure he's got the legs to play at RB anymore, but he was very good tonight.

Holding midfielder. There was nothing about his game for most of it that suggested he was 'holding' - certainly not in the first half.

But like you say, he was fantastic. Definitely doesn't have the legs for fullback.

I thought he looked gassed after 70 odd minutes in tonight's role getting forward and defending also.

Great game tonight. Started a little slowly, but grew into the rôle Pep asked him to play.

Brilliant both going forward and defending. Maybe Pep has found a new position for Zaba .

Holding midfielder. There was nothing about his game for most of it that suggested he was 'holding' - certainly not in the first half.

But like you say, he was fantastic. Definitely doesn't have the legs for fullback.

I thought he looked gassed after 70 odd minutes in tonight's role getting forward and defending also.
The way the game turned out, no. But that was mainly due to West Ham having a negligible attacking threat tonight. Before the game, if you looked at the line up, most would have had him as a sitting midfielder, with Kev and Dave offering the attacking potential and Yaya just behind them. But it didn't turn out that way. As you said, he looked spent in those last 15-20 minutes, but he did very well tonight. It's never going to be a long term option, but it worked tonight.

The way the game turned out, no. But that was mainly due to West Ham having a negligible attacking threat tonight. Before the game, if you looked at the line up, most would have had him as a sitting midfielder, with Kev and Dave offering the attacking potential and Yaya just behind them. But it didn't turn out that way. As you said, he looked spent in those last 15-20 minutes, but he did very well tonight. It's never going to be a long term option, but it worked tonight.

Had the first attempt at goal and won the pen. Holding midfielders don't generally do this.

But I agree, midfield is where he should continue.

Sagna is the vastly superior fullback.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.