Paedophilia within the game/City launch redress scheme

On my phone so can't post a link, but the court today has heard that City are being sued by 3 of Bennell's victims.

Here's Dan Roan's tweet that links to a Times story which was previously freely available but is now behind a paywall, though you can register with them to get two free articles per week (in all honesty, the full article in this case won't give you much information in addition to the free stuff):

I agree that that BBC headline is misleading and out of order. However, putting that to one side, would anybody be surprised if it turns out the club did know about the abuse claims, given that there is a propensity for organisations to sweep these things under the carpet - historical claims in particular - because they don't want the embarrassment of it coming out in public and having to deal with the shit storm afterwards? And let's be fair here - when you add in who our chairman was at the time, it wouldn't exactly be too much of a stretch to think the claims were largely ignored in the hope they would go away.

I would also add that City wouldn't exactly be alone in not acting upon this kind of thing. No doubt the vast majority of clubs name-checked in these wide-ranging abuse claims did the same. The FA too. And of course the BBC with Savile.
Yes a bit rich for the BBC to be pointing fingers.

Yes a bit rich for the BBC to be pointing fingers.

Not sure when the jury will come back with verdicts in the Bennell case - could be a while, I suspect, given the number of charges they've to deliberate on. However, when the case is finally over, I think we have to be braced for MCFC to face questions, even if we think it laughable that some of the media outlets posing them may be seeking to claim the moral high ground. I agree with M18CTID that we probably haven't done anything that a fair few other clubs haven't also done, but we and Crewe will be under the microscope next because of this trial.

Anyway, City have been conducting an independent inquiry announced in November 2016. I hope that will enable the club to identify what happened and draw up a plan for acting in the appropriate way. That's the best way to mitigate potential reputational damage (we can't, after all, now undo what's been done), but more importantly it's also the right thing to do.

How are they sueing manchester city? It's disgusting behaviour if it has been covered up but what has it got to do with the good shiekh?

Sorry your correct... however my worries are only with city.
It smacks to me of the can hope of huge payout. Be interesting to see how the club defend it as the owners and organisation was very different to what it is now.

How are they sueing manchester city? It's disgusting behaviour if it has been covered up but what has it got to do with the good shiekh?
It's the same legal entity, Manchester City Football Club. When Sheikh Mansour bought the club he also got the baggage that went with it beforehand.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.