Paradise Papers Leak

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Ricster, 6 Nov 2017.

1. SWP's back

SWP's back

I think it's fair to say Baconface meant that said companies operating here increase the HMRC tax take by employing workers who then pay tax, rather than they literally contribute income tax.

2. TCIB

TCIB

Currently, netdev
    Fucking lobbying again, prince effing charles. Can i have my meritocracy please and get rid of these gout riddled thickos, cheers.

3. sir baconface

sir baconface

GPC, FOC and bar
    Thank you. That’s exactly what I meant by saying “contribute indirectly”.

It doesn’t excuse Corporation Tax avoidance but neither should people get the impression that these corporations are devil organisations who pay no taxes and create no wealth.

To be fair, that misunderstanding apart, KS55 has made some excellent posts.

Last edited: 8 Nov 2017
  4. sir baconface

sir baconface

GPC, FOC and bar
    You spoil an otherwise good post my misquoting me. I said they contribute to income tax INDIRECTLY, which is a function of creating jobs with taxable pay. That’s a tad more significant than mechanically fulfilling some administrative function.

Not looking for an argument, as we’re not fundamentally in disagreement, but please let’s quote each other correctly.

5. SWP's back

SWP's back

That’s harsh on Colin.

6. nmc

nmc

Prince Charles has some far more serious skeletons in his cupboard.

7. BimboBob

BimboBob

I'll admit to having a few bob stored away for a rainy day.

We have ISA's but the return is very poor compared. Same with bank accounts. Interest rates going up means they are getting a little better though (when they pass it on.)

We pay tax, PAYE, at source, so I don't see a problem.

8. bluemonkey71

bluemonkey71

I’m suprised people are surprised. It’s been happening for donkeys years. Whilst a lot of it isn’t in the spirit of the law or morally wrong it’s not breaking the rules unless they have been found out. Unless the tax havens are shutdown people will continue to use them and as usual HMRC are years behind in trying to close loopholes. From major corporations to people taking cash in hand, everyone is at it. I know a decorator who puts 20% of his earnings on the books and drives round in a jag. Go figure.

9. Mike D

Mike D

No I don't the last bit on Gates was ment to be tongue in cheek. It always goes back to the point that tax avoidance is not illegal but morally wrong. The other point you have failed to point out is that the Guardian makes losses and during those years it didn't make tax payment it was due to rolled up losses. The only time it does make a profit is when it sells its investments

10. Mike D

Mike D

It was a joke and regardless of who is in government you pay your taxes.