Paris

Captain Oats

unlucky about man city not playing in paris this year. Anyhow I'm posting because I hopeing to take my girlfriend to paris this new years eve and since its normally her who sorts out all the holidays im struggling to sort it!

Whats the cheapest way to get there? i was looking at a ryan air flight to paris-beuuvais? is that close?

Also where is considered central to paris? as in whats the best place to stay to be near everything? In barcelona i stayed at La Ramblas and that was great, where is the paris equivalent???

Any other advice on things to do why im there etc i would be very gratefull for.

Thanks very much!

Check ww.travelocity.co.uk, usually quite cheap for weekend breaks and that sort of stuff, plus you can pick your hotel as well.

Hi,
Lived in Paris for three years and visit regularly every year at least once but mostly twice a year...

Cant say much about the cheapest way to get there but Beauvais is not close to Paris... about an hour bussdrive and can be tough getting to and from all depending on when you arrive and leave... i suggest you take the eurostar from London... very smooth ride and you end up at Gare du Nord which are pretty central in Paris...

Talking about central of Paris is impossible since the whole town more or less is central... Paris is divided into 20 arrondisement (quartiers) and the number 1 is at Louvren and then it goes like a spiral around paris across the river so north of 1 is 9 if you get my drift... so basically arrodisement 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 is pretty in the middle of that spiral... so if you want to stay central i would stick to arr 1-6, 9 and 10 for Hotels... arrodisement 5 is known as Latin Quarters... pretty pitoresque and very touristic but still ok prices... every arrondisement used to have its workmans shops so for example you will find many shoestores in one area and many sexshops in one area and so on...

For nice outings it all depends on wallet but you will find Marais quarter (arr 3 and half 4) full of small resturants and boutiques, the road on the map to follow is Rue Rivoli.. to see where im aiming at is between Les halles and Batille... quarter 6, 7, 15 are Boulevard St Germain... very nice and chique areas and still very pleasent to walk around and do shopping... lots of restos with long history and great food, if you like jazz you will find most clubs around this area... resto to visit is L'entrecote... they only serve one dish... guess what... and with a herbs sauce that noone knows whats in it but it is DELICIOUS!!!!
Sacre Ceur and Montmartre is in arr 18 (northern Paris) splendid view over Paris and lots of small restos with nice prices... one resto you must visist is Chartier at rue faubourg Montmartre.. a restorant that has been located on the same spot since 1890 something and not much has changed during that time... mostly male servituers and fast service... used to be very cheap but you will only get what you order so dont expect anything more... so if you want sallad you have to order that to your meal... if you want potatoes to you meal you have to order that... and so on... well i could go on forever but if you have any more Questions just ask... ill try to answer as well as i can

Wow thanks mate. Some great information. I think the latin quarter sounds something my girlfriend would be into so i'll probabaly look at staying around there.
I speak no french, i know its ignorant but will this prove a difficulty? What about moulin rouge? I hear thats great but again im unsure how to go about all this.

when you google paris it just seems to come up about resteraunts!

Captain Oats said:
Wow thanks mate. Some great information. I think the latin quarter sounds something my girlfriend would be into so i'll probabaly look at staying around there.
I speak no french, i know its ignorant but will this prove a difficulty? What about moulin rouge? I hear thats great but again im unsure how to go about all this.

when you google paris it just seems to come up about resteraunts!
your welcome... Latin Quarter is fine for staying and it will let you be close to most interesting places like Notre Dame, Eiffeltower, Louvren and lots of people moving around...

When it comes to french dont worry... when i lived there i only knew some frases in french... English will get you thru... but dont get mad if they ignore you just move on and go to another place.., they can be arrogant but never take it personally... its just the way they are... the reason they dont speak so much english is because they dub everything on tele so they never hear english spoken which makes it intimidating for them to speak it... but they actually study english alot in school and understands you perfectly well but they know they have a terrible accent so be just polite and complement them for good english even tho they sometimes are crap at it... but the last couple of years especially in Paris you hear more and more english spoken due to Internet...

Moulin Rouge is a fantastic show... very expensive though... dont know the prices now days but when I lived there i went to a show for half price due to a friend who knew a dancer and we paid only for sitting and watch the show and in the price it was a half bottle of champagne... but we paid 40 euros for that 10 years ago... Moulin Rouge is close to Metro station Pigalle and you buy tickets during day for the show... there are some other similar shows like Lido and Crazy horses both is around Champs Elysees Metro station Frank D Roosevelt...

Metro is a fantastic tube in Paris with lots of stations and easy accesses.. You buy day tickets for zone 1 and 2 (central Paris) or you buy a bunch of ten tickets (carnet) for around 22 euros... of course if you live in Latin Quarters you will also have good walking distances for most of Paris attractions

if you want info of good restos (various kinds and various wallets), pubs and bars i have a few up my sleeve...

If you're in the UK the only way to go to Paris is by Eurostar. You get off the train in the middle of Paris!

denislawsbackheel said:
If you're in the UK the only way to go to Paris is by Eurostar. You get off the train in the middle of Paris!

I would second that.

Went earlier this year for a day! first train out of St Pancras and last train back. We did loads considering we only had a day. Eurostar is amazing. The speed is quite incredible.

captain oats... so is Paris on for you and as i earlier wrote if you need any info just ask

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.