Parker wins Football Writer's Award

dref619

Had a look on the search but couldn't find anything on this

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,11685_6888720,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,11685_6888720,00.html</a>

West Ham midfielder Scott Parker has been voted 2011 Footballer of the Year by the Football Writers Association.

The England international topped the poll of journalists ahead of Tottenham defender Gareth Bale, who scooped the Professional Footballers' Association Player of the Year last week.

Parker will be presented his award at a gala dinner at the Lancaster London Hotel on 12th May.

The 30-year-old has enjoyed a stellar season for West Ham despite their struggles at the wrong end of the table.

The former Newcastle and Chelsea star's form this season has seen him earn an England recall from Fabio Capello.

FWA chairman Steve Bates, chief football writer at The People said: "Scott Parker has been so consistent in a West Ham team battling for Premier League survival and as such has forced himself back into the England national set-up.

"He has been an inspirational figure for the Irons and hopefully his professionalism will be rewarded with West Ham staying up.

"In what was one of the tightest votes of recent seasons, Scott is certainly a worthy winner and follows in the footsteps of a long line of superb footballers who have been given this prestigious honour."

I actually think it's a joke that he's won it. He's been consistent for WHU, but nothing special. Think the winners of these awards should be players who have massively contributed to the success of their team. This year the winner is someone who is part of a team thats going to get relegated.

Both awards won by underserving winners in my humble opinion

Who should it have been then?

Parker has had a good season for a very poor side, he's dragged them through the majority of games that they've got anything from. It's good that they are finally looking outside of the top four. Most of the current teams in the top 6have had players play well in fits and starts but not consistently like Parker has managed this year.

I wonder if it is a coincidence that 75% of London based Football writers are West Ham fans?

Typical British journalist mentality: trier/hardworking = great footballer.

Tevez, De Jong, Kompany, Nasri, Modric, Nani and Vidic have all been better.

tevez has had a far better season that parker for me, as has vidic, nani etc.

Blue Smarties said:
Parker deserves the award.

Really? And the basis for this statement is?

Tevez, or Vidic for me... also kompany was in the frame

levets said:
Blue Smarties said:
Parker deserves the award.

Behave. Scott Parker has carried West Ham single handedly for 3 years now. This season he has been absolutely exceptional and there is no bigger a example of a one man team in the Premiership.

Very easy to say Nasri, Tevez, Kompany, Vidic etc when they are surrounded by quality.

The same cannot be said of Scott Parker. Not only has his work rate been exceptional, his goals, assists, all round play has been fantastic for a defence minded midfielder.

I thought you lot would have more class than to be blinkered by the "Top 4/5" syndrome

Mockney_Ted said:
levets said:

Behave. Scott Parker has carried West Ham single handedly for 3 years now. This season he has been absolutely exceptional and there is no bigger a example of a one man team in the Premiership.

Very easy to say Nasri, Tevez, Kompany, Vidic etc when they are surrounded by quality.

The same cannot be said of Scott Parker. Not only has his work rate been exceptional, his goals, assists, all round play has been fantastic for a defence minded midfielder.

I thought you lot would have more class than to be blinkered by the "Top 4/5" syndrome

Carried a team to relegation?

When he was surrounded by quality at Chelsea, he was awful. He has played his best football at West Ham and Charlton. That indicates to me that his efforts stand out when surrounded by dross.

He's got a good engine....and that's about it

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.