Patrick Roberts - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given that we ultimately failed to land Sanchez, allowing Roberts to leave on loan so early does seem a tad premature. After all, it was only a loan deal, so we could surely have held off until Sanchez had actually signed before allowing him to go to Celtic again. Not suggesting that the two players are 100% comparable in terms of ability, but Roberts may have had more of an opportunity than he imagined.

Given that we ultimately failed to land Sanchez, allowing Roberts to leave on loan so early does seem a tad premature. After all, it was only a loan deal, so we could surely have held off until Sanchez had actually signed before allowing him to go to Celtic again. Not suggesting that the two players are 100% comparable in terms of ability, but Roberts may have had more of an opportunity than he imagined.

Apparently we were prepared to sell him for £8m but Pep decided against it at the last minute just wanting a loan.

The bigger mistake is selling Iheanacho before getting Sanchez, we have weakened our strike force, our season will rely on Sterling and Sane starting to fulfill their potential and get something like 45-50 goals/assists between them.

The bigger mistake is selling Iheanacho before getting Sanchez, we have weakened our strike force, our season will rely on Sterling and Sane starting to fulfill their potential and get something like 45-50 goals/assists between them.
Believe it or not they got 47 between them last season.

Believe it or not they got 47 between them last season.
Oh sorry I was referring to the premier league, my bad that wasn't clear, which shows about 27.

I think both players are improving and can probably increase that return from 27 -> 40 or more, I think they have to.

Oh sorry I was referring to the premier league, my bad that wasn't clear, which shows about 27.

I think both players are improving and can probably increase that return from 27 -> 40 or more, I think they have to.

I wouldn't be upset if they combined for about 35. 40 would definitely show huge strides. Now that we didn't land Sanchez they should be getting plenty of playing time, just hope it's not at wing back ;)

I'm still confused as to why Roberts wanted to go back to Celtic rather than a Premier League club, no disrespect to @Magicpole. Didn't Rogers bench Roberts for half of last season because he preferred to play Celtic's own players?

I'm still confused as to why Roberts wanted to go back to Celtic rather than a Premier League club, no disrespect to @Magicpole. Didn't Rogers bench Roberts for half of last season because he preferred to play Celtic's own players?

Yes he did. He was hoping that Forrest came onto a game. He did to be fair but not as good as Roberts.

As for coming back here. He is 20 and has loved it here. He will play. He will play in the CL. Playing for one of the smaller EPL teams obviously doesn't have the same appeal for him.

I think he is better than Sterling, who is far too inconsistent for my liking. I'm glad obviously the powers at be don't agree down there.

Your loss this year and without sorting your defence again, I think you will regret that as right now you are still too easily got at.

A draw at home to Everton and a 97th minute winner against Bournemouth just isn't good enough form to be tipping you to win the CL, which should be a shoe in, or even to win the league. And that can be squarely put down to you being relatively weak defensively.

Wee Paddy will return next year sadly and I hope again Pep thinks he isn't good enough and we are able to buy him.

I hope I'm wrong about your defence fucking up your season, but I won't be because it's simply not good enough yet.

VVD and not Evans or any other CB you care to mention fits the bill for what will improve you.

Time will tell.

Paddy is still your player though and you can watch our CL games to see how he is doing. My prediction will be that by December when Sterling is being the inconsistent sterling, you will all be clamouring to get paddy back as he plays brilliantly for us in the CL.

I may be wrong, but that's what I think.

We are looking at a square go with Anderlecht for the Europa League 3rd spot. This doesn't mean we won't give the big two in the group a fright. But, realistically we have no chance of progressing from the group so it's about taking another step up with the limited resources we have.

Imagine what kind of team we would have and the force we would be with the £100m a year TV money your Stokes and WBA get each year.

We would gub them now, never mind with access to increased resources. Geography has dealt us a cruel blow, but we get on with it and will give anyone a game.

Paddy gives us additional threat and is a huge part of my confidence we can edge out the Belgians.

We have parted many a richer teams balls in the CL at home. Even a draw would have me happy this year. If Bayern or PSG cone to us thinking it will be easy then that could be their schoolboy error.

We also know that losing to these teams is likely and no shame, but we are Celtic and you can put your mortgage on it we will take them on. That's all we ask. Take the ****s on.

Last edited:

Ah fair enough, interestingly its sane who needs to improve his numbers rather than sterling.

There is no guarantee a Premier League club will play him. The managers are mainly just interested in keeping a job.

He's a small, skillful player who needs to play in a team which has plenty of the ball & will try to pass & move. And Celtic will be trying to win most games they play, unlike half the Prem, who are at least half the time, trying not to lose. Roberts is no use at all to a team doing that.

I'm just glad Pep has pulled the plug on letting him go, permanemtly. I felt strongly that we would never see him again & that feeling is backed up by the news we were ready to sell him.
At least Pep has decided he wants to see more of him, before deciding, which is good news imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.