Patrick Roberts (on loan at Celtic)

Discussion in 'Player Performances' started by Churchlawtonblue, 8 Jan 2017.

1. Churchlawtonblue

Churchlawtonblue

Sorry if there was a thread already about this lad but I couldn't find it on my phone. Obviously I saw him at the Etihad in the CL game but was wondering if anybody on here had seen more of his performances for Celtic since he's been up there and what they thought of him. He is still very young but from little I have seen seems a real prospect.

2. g180aj

g180aj

I think he is ready to replace Navas next season tbh.

3. Neville Kneville

Neville Kneville

I think he's going to be in one hell of a queue. Might have to be ready to adapt & compete in other positions as well, in order to get meaningful game time at City.

Still needs to up his workrate, a lot, to get a job here.

4. Magicpole

Magicpole

Low Intelligence Officer

Me. I'm a Celtic fan.

He has amazing skills and can see a great pass. Check out our winning goal against rangers last Saturday. He can drift out of the fame at times but has improved in his all round game by becoming part of our first line of defence when we lose the ball.

He doesn't get a game every week due to Forrest and I can't get my fucking head around that one. I am not sure if he would get a game fir you regularly and this is what he needs to progress further. We, as in the support, would love to buy him, or at the least have him another year if City felt that benefitted them too, which I think it would.

He is still so young and game time is what he needs.

We love him though another year with us back in the CL next year will make him even better.

5. Churchlawtonblue

Churchlawtonblue

Thanks for your comments magicpole, sounds like he is improving. As g180aj says he could replace Navas at City who seems very limited despite his impressive work rate.

6. Neville Kneville

Neville Kneville

Cheers for that.

It probably would benefit him to have another year at Celtic (and probably would have benefitted Denayer as well, with hindsight) but I imagine that if he can't get in at City, they will try to get him a loan to the Prem, or maybe Spain or Germany. If they can't get it, then maybe, but if Rogers is building a team, he my want a permanent replacement anyhow.

I really wish Jack Byrne had gone to Celtic. I think he would now be two levels above where he is in career terms.

7. Magicpole

Magicpole

Low Intelligence Officer
    With us he gets a chance to play in the CL which is invaluable in learning terms. Rogers has already added to us this window with at least another two to come.

I agree about Denyer but we couldn't offer CL so maybe that had an influence.

We can help you players get noticed through the CL which will help them develop and if good enough get the better move. Languishing in the reserves destroys talent. You have so many players that it suffocates younger players who need game time to develop to their potential.

The down side to having loads of cash I suppose.

We want him as our player. That's as high a compliment I can give the boy.

8. Neville Kneville

Neville Kneville

I think we've been fantastic at City, finding & coaching players, but amongst the worst of all time at knowing what to do with them. Mainly down to the past two managers having no interest in it, at all, I believe.

In the future, I think we ar going to improve that part of the system, but still 95% won't end up at City & I think we will have no choice but to release some serious potential because it's not fair to keep them hanging around. Roberts might even be one.

If Celtic keep up this relationship, they could have access to some serious talent in the future, some of which may become available to sign. But of course, Celtic's priority is long term improvement of their own team, so it may become more difficult for City to loan kids there.

9. Magicpole

Magicpole

Low Intelligence Officer
    You're right. We do want our own players. But, if we can get a real talent that helps us qualify fir the CL and do ok in it, then we would look at that.

We find and develop players and this will help young players, like Dembele to see coming to us helps them better than going to richer clubs for treble the money but sitting on their arses.

Big Virgil the latest example who will go for funny money. The days of getting grassy young players from us for a song are over.

City will obviously look at getting your young guys game time. We shoukd be in the frame for that as our clubs have a giid working relationship and you know we will do our best to give them experience and a mindset of we must win every game and fight like fuck every game.

That will be one if the benefits for young Paddy. His attitude has improved. He knows he has to fight from the front back. He is doing that

10. Neville Kneville

Neville Kneville

He's definitely improved that area, but last time I saw him in detail, he still looked a bit off what Pep would expect, but you see more of him & I know Celtic are bulding a hard working side.

All good if the relationship can continue. Hopefully both clubs can improve & benefit from it.