Patrick Roberts (on loan at Celtic)

Discussion in 'Player Performances' started by Churchlawtonblue, 8 Jan 2017.

1. OB1

OB1

Navas is not world class but he is a much better player than a lot of Blues want to credit him for. Too often his end product is not good enough for what we want but he is a constant threat at any level because defenders have to work really hard to make sure that end product does not damage them. To get to be that "bad" means you actually have to have something about you. There's plenty of young players who look to have potential that won't do as much in the game as Navas. Whether Patrick Roberts is one of those, I couldn't say: I've just not seen enough of him but something inside me says that I agree he is no Sane or Sterling and, therefore, I think he will be one of those we sell on; hopefully at a profit.

2. WallyA

WallyA

Celtic were down 1-0, Patrick came on and made the difference, Celtic win 4-1, he was directly involved in 3 goals and had 2 assists. Come back to city and become a star!

3. pee dubya

pee dubya

________
    He did turn it around.

However, he was up against some random bloke from Cyprus that my club found on LinkedIn.

4. Churchlawtonblue

Churchlawtonblue

If Navas is so good as you state. I assume you want him to sing a new contract and stay on? Am I right?

5. Ric

Ric

Bit of a strawman there mate!

Back to Roberts, I hope that Guardiola's recent statements regarding the need for English players means that he'll get a chance next season. It seems unlikely that Navas' contract will be renewed, and Roberts would be a good back-up for Sterling.

6. domalino

domalino

It's hard to fathom him not getting a chance with the obvious need for another winger and all the boxes he ticks.

He might not get many chances though because Pep can be very cut-throat, so I would suggest he needs to approach every preseason game he finds his way into like it's the world cup final.

7. Xhavenjoe

Xhavenjoe

Should Roberts be starting regularly for Celtic. He seemed to getting more games last season. I Would like to see him getting a run next season , assuming Navas is gone but if he is not a regular starter now , can we expect him to get any run with the 1st team

8. geoff clipp

geoff clipp

From Celtic's perspective, he probably shouldn't be starting games really. The league is won and they have to give him back at the end of the season. They have a free shot at bedding in a replacement/developing their own youngsters in preparation for next season so it wouldn't make sense to be giving game time to a player who can't offer them anything beyond May.

9. Xhavenjoe

Xhavenjoe

Good point. Never thought of it that way.

10. Gabriel

Gabriel

Made that point earlier in the season. It's also raises questions about why we agreed such a long loan spell in the first place. There are three Old Firm games left (two dead rubbers in the league and a presumably competitive semi-final), so we'll see how much meaningful game time he gets in those. For me, he's been treading water since before Christmas, and his original loan contract should have had a recall clause if Celtic had failed to qualify through to the Champions League or then finished bottom and didn't make it into the UEFA.