Patrick Roberts (on loan at Celtic)

Discussion in 'Player Performances' started by Churchlawtonblue, 8 Jan 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. domalino

domalino

No, it doesn't raise any questions about why we loaned him there for 18 months, that's the minimum Celtic would expect because they wanted to get more time with him after taking time to develop him.

I don't know why some posters think there's a queue out the door to take Patrick Roberts on loan, play him every week at a high level to the point they're dependent on him and then accept any and all clauses that could fuck them over.

It's a two way deal.

2. Gabriel

Gabriel

Yes, it is a deal, but I'm unconvinced that we got the better end of the deal. Eighteen months was what Celtic wanted, not expected, and if they were seeking more time with him, after having developed him, as you suggest, then one might imagine he'd be starting every game. But then as you admit, why should Celtic use the player when he is leaving anyway, which is my point.

It was a deal we made when Rony Deila was the manager, someone with whom we had an established relationship, but it was common knowledge he would be leaving and hardly surprising that a new manager would quickly want to develop his own players. My complaint was not about Celtic but the lack of foresight on our part when negotiating that deal.

3. domalino

domalino

What does that even mean!? They said publicly they were not going to accept any less than 18 months and no recall clauses.

4. BlueindianNewcity

BlueindianNewcity

Not to offend anyone, but there seems to be a general feeling that city can expect other clubs to give our youngsters enough playing time and make them ready. May happen with a few but not likely with most. City should be ready to suffer a little bit if our young ones are to fulfill potential.

5. WallyA

WallyA

I think people don't realize that Patrick has been injured for a little bit and does get a decent amount of game time. Celtic wouldn't accept less than 18 months otherwise it wasn't worth their time, also, people need to think about the long haul for City youngsters. We don't want to ruin the relationship with Celtic, we can send more youngsters over their who are good (Ricketts, Fernandes etc), but not immediate top quality (Foden, Sancho, Brahim).

It would be smart for both clubs to keep this going as Celtic can benefit from getting top quality youngsters (for cheap) who don't who world class quality over a 2 year loan deal. City benefits because they can attach a buy-back clause that ramps up the cost (say 5 mill -> 10 mill) which they do if the youngster proves to show world class quality like patrick.

6. Cheadle_hulmeBlue

Cheadle_hulmeBlue

i hope we bring him back next season and he replaces navas. we could do with some other options in attack.

7. Manchester_lalala

Manchester_lalala

I think we will see him.

8. WallyA

WallyA

Earned a penalty and scored a goal for U20s, they still drew 2-2.

How was he not promoted to the U21s? He is so too good at the current level and should play up (U21 is hardly up though).

9. aguero93:20

aguero93:20

Worshipping the great bald one
    World Cup this summer?

10. cadds92

cadds92

This.

U20 World Cup which starts at the end of May which contains the bedrock of the 2014 U17 European Championship winning England team which Roberts was part of.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.