Patrick Roberts

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they were down in England they'd have the resources to strengthen, but at the moment their playing squad is Championship standard.
Personally I think they would finish bottom half of the premier and very possibly bottom 6. They have little strength in depth and probably couldn't cope with the intensity of our league. Not being funny but Celtic v Kilmarnock isn't exactly a toughie. They rest players all the time as they know that even a 2nd string team is good enough to beat most teams in their league.
I'm not saying they'd be a very good premier league team, but they would definitely be able to stay in the bottom half of the table. They have some depth, but you don't need alot of depth if you don't have europe anyways.

In the champions league City drew them twice, we were able to beat Barcelona but not Celtic, and Celtic were the team that halted our 10 game run.

We can't really tell how good Roberts is until he plays in a competitive league. He has done well at Celtic, which is all that he can be possibly asked can do. You can't dismiss a player just because he hasn't played in a competitive league or for a top team. This is why he needs to move to the Premier League or La Liga. There he will be tested and we'll all be able to make a better judgement of the player in a years time.

Personally, I'd like to see him loaned out to Southampton, Huddersfield or Bournemouth. It's critical that he goes to a team that tries to play with the ball and retain possession. I think that Huddersfield would be the perfect destination for him. He should fancy his chances there to get plenty of game time. The transition from Celtic to Huddersfield, in terms of the way in which the two respective coaches like their teams to play, should be a smooth one.

Have a look at the goal he scored against us in the CL. It was an amazing world class goal. He should have had a pen as well. With proper refereeing he would have won that game for Celtic.

He's a better player than Sterling for a start. Maybe not as quick but has better ball control and can dribble and beat his man better, crosses better, he shoots better than most players in City's squad never mind Sterling and he has the intelligence to play an incisive pass. He often sets up other players with passes from midfield.

And he's tough and he doesn't hide. Suffered a potential leg breaker early in the cup final against Sevco. Brushed it off and played a great game.

Celtic won't buy him, they haven't got £25m and he's worth that at least.Pep is going to look at him pre season. If he gets in the squad Sterling will be saying goodbye before long.
I'll just tell you know that even Scott Sinclair looked good in that League. Sterling would look like Pele if he played in Scotland.

Oh come on now "Celtic are a championship team at best" is ridiculous, they are easily a Premier league level team. I can't take anything you say seriously, your just saying words with nothing to back them up.

the championship is a very high level from middle table to the top and not much from the bottom of the premier league celtic are so over rated with them winning everything in scotland from leagues and cups i don't think that squad they had last season would be anywhere near in the premier league and weak and bottom 5 clubs at best

yes celtic would do well after about 4 or 5 seasons but again the top 6 clubs in england would still be way ahead of them and there fans would be fighting each week when getting dicked by the likes of stoke and newcastle so they would end up being kicked out

anyway back to roberts ask yourself sterling sane jesus silva all at a very young age and done it at the highest level last season and your saying roberts could take a shirt of any of them hahahhahahahahaha

I mean the comparison isn't entirely fair because the premier league is more difficult but come on now don't throw statistics around like that so unfairly. Sterling got 47 games AND played 3627 minutes, while Roberts got 47 games AND played 2686 minutes, almost 1000 minutes less. If you want to use the statistics accurately then check the goals+assists/90 minutes:

Roberts: about 1g/a per 90 mins
Sterling: about 0.77 g/a per 90mins

why do you think the scottish premier league is anywhere on any level to the EPL

I mean the comparison isn't entirely fair because the premier league is more difficult but come on now don't throw statistics around like that so unfairly. Sterling got 47 games AND played 3627 minutes, while Roberts got 47 games AND played 2686 minutes, almost 1000 minutes less. If you want to use the statistics accurately then check the goals+assists/90 minutes:

Roberts: about 1g/a per 90 mins
Sterling: about 0.77 g/a per 90mins
Even at those statistics, Sterling is by far the better player. He's doing it in the premier league where as Roberts is doing against teams that would struggle in league 1.

I'll just tell you know that even Scott Sinclair looked good in that League. Sterling would look like Pele if he played in Scotland.

We made Scott Sinclair look worse than he was I reckon. In any case he responded to a manager that believes in him which was never going to happen under Mancini.

Not all Roberts' performances were in the league. Some of them were in the Champions League. He was good enough to be a match winner against us and but for dodgy refereeing he would have been. Enrique and Guardiola were impressed with him. Guardiola has been impressed with him enough not to sell him or send him out on loan and there has been a whole raft of clubs after him.

Saying Sterling would have looked great in that league is a lazy assumption. In the first place, regardless of the quality, it is a physically tough league. Sterling drops to the floor every chance he gets. That's why fouls on him are ignored so often by referees. He's the boy crying wolf. He would get a kicking which he doesn't get in the Premier League and Roberts is like Messi in that regard. He rides tackles and tries to stay up.

Apart from that the quality of players around him wouldn't be as good. He wouldn't be in a team that shift the opposition around with their passing and creates space and tires the opposition out by doing so. Sterling has looked at his best when playing with world class players around him. When things aren't going well he often looks clueless and dithers about unable to make decisions or put in a decisive ball. Teams would double up on him and that would be the end of him. There is none of that about Roberts. Roberts got doubled up on and targeted plenty. He adapted and his final ball is very good.

There's plenty of players that have come into the Premier League from a "weaker" league, take Fernandinho, Virgil van Dijk or Luis Suarez as examples, and not had a problem. For sure the SPL is nowhere near the standard of the PL but that doesn't mean it's a walk in the park. Look at Mooy. Never made it in Scotland and look at him now. And Mooy himself has said the experiences he had in Scotland stayed with him and helped him improve as a player.

Last edited:
Even at those statistics, Sterling is by far the better player. He's doing it in the premier league where as Roberts is doing against teams that would struggle in league 1.
Read whole comment. I said the comparison isn't fair because I recognize the premier league is tougher. Just telling people if they use stats, then use them right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.