Patrick Roberts

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is was it is chaps , you can argue all you want and I have seen Roberts he looks decent going forward and is my sort of player but where would he play 4 us next season he is miles off.

If you are young you have to have cost a lot of money to get a chance with us.

Is there a club in the world more useless at developing/creating their own talent than we are?

Is there a club in the world more useless at developing/creating their own talent than we are?

we've been really poor at it. we can spend 40 or 50m on top class young players link sane or stones, but our own academy players haven't got a chance right now. maybe foden or sancho might, but i can't imagine it any time soon.

This lad would be perfect for Southampton or similar if he can prove himself there on loan from us.

Not confident he'd make the cut for us.

Breathe, relax.

We aren't selling him to Celtic for that amount. They loved him, he loved them. But Patrick certainly knows he can play at a higher level than the SPL and we could get a better offer elsewhere.

I also don't think he's going to be sold this summer like Unal was because he's English. The ideal scenario is we loan him to a PL side and we can decide a year from now if he is good enough to stay or should be moved for a profit.

Don't take everything you see in the media seriously, that should be obvious by this point.

I don't know whether he is good enough to play for City right now, but I do know that £5m is severely undervaluing him to the point that it is insulting.

The only way that I see any truth in this whatsoever is that there would be a small buy-back fee (say less than £10m) clause inserted in the terms of sale. At one point Rodgers stopped selecting him because he was going to leave at the end of the season and he wanted to give game time to Celtic-owned players, which is understandable. The thinking in the City management hierarchy might be that a transfer, rather than a loan, would ensure that he is given more game time.

The other explanation is that the £5m quoted is a loan fee rather than for a permanent transfer. There was some talk about this a few weeks ago.

Let's be honest, the players we bought only became worth that much money because they played at teams where they were able to get regular first team football. That's what allowed them to develop into such good players. An 18 year old Sane or Sterling probably wouldn't have got in our team either. That's why loans are going to be so important. Roberts needs to go on loan to a Premier League club this season imo. Even if he's good enough for a place on our bench, he'd probably be better off playing every week somewhere like Bournemouth.

Let's be honest, the players we bought only became worth that much money because they played at teams where they were able to get regular first team football. That's what allowed them to develop into such good players. An 18 year old Sane or Sterling probably wouldn't have got in our team either. That's why loans are going to be so important. Roberts needs to go on loan to a Premier League club this season imo. Even if he's good enough for a place on our bench, he'd probably be better off playing every week somewhere like Bournemouth.

Couldn't agree more. Well put.

Celtic have a sell on clause of 10% - so If we buy VVD from soton Celtic are looking 5M that is basically coming from us. So if we get 7M from celtic we recoup what we paid for him. Can't see city selling him without a buy back in 5 years or so for around 25M. I think thats not bad business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.