Paul Power interview in The Independent

Good interview this, although the headline is a bit disingenuous to what was actually said:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...anc-identity-epl-premier-league-a7532056.html

Decent read anyway for people who missed it.

Good read, always loved Paul Power, as a kid he was my first city idol as to me being captain instantly meant he was our best player and i was in awe, and he looked so cool as well (hey it was the early 80s!)

Found this bit interesting -

Prior to his coaching role at City, Power produced a landmark report into youth coaching in this country for the PFA. He believes the biggest requirement for any young prospect is mental strength and cites the attitude of the young Joey Barton. “Joey Barton couldn’t get into our youth team at the time because Terry Dunfield and Dickson Etuhu were ahead of him but Joey had a fantastic mental approach to training, he’d get upset because it mattered to him. I used to train with him and Joey would come right through me and I was 50-odd then. He didn’t care – if it was there to win, he’d win it. I loved that.” By contrast, another midfield talent, Michael Johnson, “couldn’t cope with pressures of not being in the game all the time” as he lost his way following injury and illness.
“You can either be physically brave or you can be mentally brave, and want the ball all the time knowing you are going to get clattered,” Power adds. “The second one is more important than the first one. Pep Guardiola will be looking for players brave enough to receive it under pressure and that has never been a feature of English players in the main.”

Think it was a good read and I agree with most of it. Cant see where he is having a dig at the club as a few have said?

It would be great to see some local youth team players out on the pitch. It might even help the atmosphere and bond between the players and the support.

I am sure the club would love it aswell. Thats the whole point of our shiny new academy.

Hopefully in the next few years we will see a few more making it.

It would be nice to see some local lads come through but ultimately it is trophies the fan's want. All these clubs being lauded for having a few local lads in their sides I bet we will win more than they ever do. The reason they have homegrown talent in there is because they can't afford better players so they have to play them. Some get to the top other's just do a reasonable job, raising their game every now and then.

What happened with the rag's and their class of 92 was a freak which I doubt will happen again....unless our lot make it, here's hoping!

Power was disgracefully treated by some of our support in his last few years at the club. Plus ca change.

He was and unjustifiably so. It was just as bad if not worse than anything Edghill suffered. When he scored against us he would have been entitled to give the vs to City fans but refused to celebrate. I was delighted when he won the league with Everton after the shit he got at Maine Road in his latter years. Proper blue.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.