PC speakers

Ken Shabby

As a complete technical bozo is it possible to use my now defunct speakers for my music player (which is f*cked) and use them on my computer which has awful, tinny speakers?.. If so how do I cobble it together. Cut and mess about with wires n' sh*t? Can't be too complicated can it?

Apologies for my ineptitude.

Are the speakers you want to use ones with black and red phono leads (very thin type) coming out of the back?

quiet_riot said:
Are the speakers you want to use ones with black and red phono leads (very thin type) coming out of the back?
Er, yes. I think so. There are 2 ends on each cable which just plug into the appropriate hole on the back of the stereo (left/right). I think they're different coloured (I'm not at home to check).

Someone said to cobble them together with the plug of an old set of headphones but in my illogical mindset, are there enough wires to join them all together? Don't want to ruin a set of headphones for nowt!

Appreciate any advice ... cheers matey.

PS I'm not as big a technophobe as I make out. If I know what I'm doing I'm fine. I just don't know what I'm doing so a walk through would be cool.

Cheers for that matey. Made some enquiries at RadioShack and was informed that I could try that but it's not liable to work as my speakers need to go through a 'pre-amp'?

Is it worth me attempting it?

Ken Shabby said:
Cheers for that matey. Made some enquiries at RadioShack and was informed that I could try that but it's not liable to work as my speakers need to go through a 'pre-amp'?

Erm...I don't see why not, I don't think you'll damage the speakers. And if it doesn't work, your cables will still be of use when you run it through an amp.

Ken Shabby said:

Are your speakers powered or passive, ie do they plug into the mains or not? If they're powered you'll probably be ok, if not they mayy well damage the weedy little audio output on your pc.

Doctor Congo said:
Ken Shabby said:

Are your speakers powered or passive, ie do they plug into the mains or not? If they're powered you'll probably be ok, if not they mayy well damage the weedy little audio output on your pc.
They're stand-alone. And this is what a couple of people have pointed out which is why I'm reluctant to jump in and risk breaking something. Might just settle for buying new speakers! But it seems pointless when I've got some.

Thanks for all advice.

I can recommend this kit for music and films from your pc, £50 at Maplin and fookin great sound.

a96cy_new.jpg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.