Pensions and the working man:

Two Gun Bob

I draw pen to forum courtesy of a poster from the Jukebox thread and his song of the evening The Penny Arcade:I was recently offered a pension from my new employer and they advocated I took up their gracious deal.In my opinion as much use as a chocolate fireguard because most working class heroes will have saddles removed at 67 arses slapped and instead of galloping off to roll in a luxurious bed of hay will sadly just winney and drop.

But we will top up your contributions Bob and in seven years you will have a substantial nest egg.
But neigh said I who was worldly wise to the shenanigans of the financial wolfs of wall street that came in sheep's clothing and without reproach would have us over for fat lads.

What about our pension top ups and cold weather payments and national health service glasses free scripts and dental work : /
If I take your 7 year pension plan we will lose all this goodness as it will take us "just" outside the levels of qualification and beside the point pensions were designed for much longer periods.I declined so we will both piss away our bullets right here right now on fine living dining swimming and song and then shall produce ourselves with not a pot to piss in.

Do we want to go down hill skiing at 68 or discover our inner selves in the foot hills of mouche picho at three score and ten.
No ..we will want to sit at home drinking tea and eat kipling cakes whilst dribblin down our chins under a setting sun and that costs diddly.
The dream they conjure up is man made and you have all been programmed to join in their dance.
Why not dance a different dance like Mr Sharston's song and come with us to spend your last dime.

Tony West always goes down a storm with the regulars !

The authors opinion is just that and bears no resemblance to the Moon corporation or their affiliates.
Do remember with all financial planning to do your own research.

Last edited:
Anyone turning down a workplace pension, inadequate as they are at planning for the future due to the low amount put away, and consequently refusing a free contribution from the employer is an utter idiot with the foresight of a tortoise.

Ignorance of NHS entitlements is also staggering. Anyone over 60 gets free prescriptions, eye tests, etc. They are not means tested.

I draw pen to forum courtesy of a poster from the Jukebox thread and his song of the evening The Penny Arcade:
I was recently offered a pension from my new employer and they advocated I took up their gracious deal.
In my opinion as much use as a chocolate fireguard because most working class heroes will have saddles removed at 67 arseholes thoroughly slapped and instead of galloping off and rolling in a luxurious bed of hay will sadly just winney and drop.

But we will top up your contributions Bob and in seven years you will have a substantial nest egg.
But neigh said I who was worldly wise to the shenanigans of the financial wolfs of wall street that came in sheep's clothing and without reproach would have us over for fat lads.

What about our pension top ups and cold weather payments and national health service glasses free scripts and dental work : /
If I take your 7 year pension plan we will lose all this goodness as it will take us "just" outside the levels of qualification and beside the point pensions were designed for much longer periods.I declined so we will both piss away our bullets right here right now on fine living dining swimming and song and then shall produce ourselves with not a pot to piss in.

Do we want to go down hill skiing at 68 or discover our inner selves in the foot hills of mouche picho at three score and ten.
No ..we will want to sit at home drinking tea and eat kipling cakes whilst dribblin down our chins under a setting sun and that costs diddly.
The dream they conjure up is man made and you have all been programmed to join in their dance.
Why not dance a different dance like Mr Sharston's song and come with us to spend your last dime.

Tony West always goes down a storm with the regulars !

The authors opinion is just that and bears no resemblance to the Moon corporation or their affiliates.
Do remember with all financial planning to do your own research.
Never thought I'd see I video of Tony West on here! That's a blast from the past from the pubs round Lancaster

Anyone turning down a workplace pension, inadequate as they are at planning for the future due to the low amount put away, and consequently refusing a free contribution from the employer is an utter idiot with the foresight of a tortoise.

Ignorance of NHS entitlements is also staggering. Anyone over 60 gets free prescriptions, eye tests, etc. They are not means tested.
Fully agree, not investing in a pension is nuts.
I think the only frustration is that you may have saved all your working life and end up in a care home that is no better than the one which the bloke who pissed all his money down the drain ends up in. The difference being that you pay for the privilege and he doesn’t.

I am not ignorant of NHS entitlements and have been schooled by some of the best.The actual pensioners themselves who studied at the school of hard knocks.The scripts and eye tests yes but not dental check ups unless you live in the Rhonda.
Pension credits also are means tested as is other benefits like housing etc and getting a pitiful private pension can affect entitlement gateways to other benefits.

I could report you to our moderation team for calling me a tortoise as this caused me alarm harassment and distress but I wont as you are clearly an excitable individual who always wades in wellies first.

My contributions Dennis lad was to be based on 3% of my qualifying earnings
And as a bonus the company would contribute an additional 2%

After doing some calculi I discovered that for the tax year 2018/19 the criteria set was between £500 and £3800
So around 5% joint contribution of £3300 anualy into the happy pot for circa 7 years.
I am aware there are perks involved like tax relief but the bigger picture always has to be assessed.
Pensions were designed as a tool to build up a pot over many decades not years.
This designed pension contribution scheme would allow us a lump sum and then presumably the rest to purchase an annuity.
Without investment around £1200 paid in..not sure on the annuity you could buy with that.
Going off recent trends and a general reduction in 2016 it would seem that only 5% of the available pot is acheivable.
So with expert fund management a potential a pot of 2k offering £100 per annum.
Doesn't sound plausible to me as a grade B GCSE mathematician.But I may be calculating wrong.

Last edited:
Never thought I'd see I video of Tony West on here! That's a blast from the past from the pubs round Lancaster

He is a legend mate and how the lad never went on to greater things astounds me.
I guess it's because there is no real talent spotters after the demise of Hughie Green.
That Cowell bloke wouldn't know talent if it jumped up and bit him squarely on the arse.

I will get you to pay for my care home cheers mucker

Who turns down free money

No such thing as a free ride.Everything is calculated and costed and most times not in our favour.
All depends who's dealing the hand.You need to live to 87 to draw level with the pot and for most working class dudes that ain't going to happen

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.