Pep. A better manager in Spanish than English?

The character described by Dani Alves is flamboyant. The man I see in press conferences is not. You don't agree I take it!

I'm just messing about, I actually haven't got around to reading it yet ;)

I would say there's got to be a certain comfort level associated with being able to speak your own language in a press conference. Couple that with the fact that the British press are generally a shower of wankers and I don't think we'll ever see him fully open up over here.

Pep did an interview that appeared in the M.E.N., don't know when he did it, where he talks about not liking the food in Manchester and always eats in Spanish/Mediterranean restaurants. Hasn't he had a Holland's steak pudding yet? Also says he hasn't tried Boddington's but he might do over the summer.

Read this interview with Dani Alves.

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...s-why-man-city-boss-pep-guardiola-is-a-genius

It fits the demonic intense genius image I had of Pep before he came. But I don't see it at press conferences. perhaps he is different with the players. At press conferences I think he struggles a little with the language. Perhaps it's the same with the English players, or do you think he does whatever it takes to get his point across?

Must be a bit of an obstacle for a manager to captivate and control his players when he has to do it in a different language?

Obviously not an insurmountable problem as he managed in Germany, and a 2nd year his English will be better.

Probably explains why so few English managers go abroad. They just can't communciate. We are so lucky. We don't have to learn another language when so many other people do, or maybe it holds people back not learning. The more skills you have and learning the better you can adapt. Somehow gone off topic!

Where his team talks in Spanish, Catalonian, or both, or more? What is his first language?

Telling me he's not animated on the sideline ?
No, I am saying he's not captivating when using English - not in the way that Alves suggests he was in the Barcelona dressing room hence he must be a better communicator in Spanish. There are some holes in the logic, the most obvious being 1) he's bored to death by the English media. You can interpret his repetitive phrases like "I am so so happy with my players. So happy" as boredom instead limited expression. 2) Alves was just hyping his ex-coach

No, I am saying he's not captivating when using English - not in the way that Alves suggests he was in the Barcelona dressing room hence he must be a better communicator in Spanish. There are some holes in the logic, the most obvious being 1) he's bored to death by the English media. You can interpret his repetitive phrases like "I am so so happy with my players. So happy" as boredom instead limited expression. 2) Alves was just hyping his ex-coach

But you're comparing how Dani Alves talks about his presence in the dressing room to how you perceive his presence in press conferences. They're two entirely different environments.

I think it was Clichy who said something along the lines of him being ridiculously instense and the requirement for the players to be totally and utterly concentrated at all times and even Mangala had recently stated that he learnt more from his short time working with Pep than he has under any other manager. Even from watching short clips of him in training with the players, you can tell that he's a very proactive and passionate coach who expects his players to absorb a lot of information.

Obviously English isn't his first language but I'd be interested to know if there are any bilingual fans who could compare press conferences with those he gave at other clubs. Personally, I'd say that his interviews are often extremely intense (the post match conference from the Burnley game is a good example) even if only for the fact that you can tell he's often biting his tongue for the sake of professionalism and not putting his and our foot in it.

It's well documented that people think and act differently in a second language.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.