Pep Guardiola - 2017/18 assessment

Discussion in 'Player Performances' started by dave_blue12, 22 Aug 2017.

1. karen7

karen7

Pep: "(After the sending off) We changed to four at the back and put guys like Kevin and David in the middle to try and find chances."

It worked and we got the goal,it's not rocket science that it suits us better,stop complicating things

2. Manchester1894

Manchester1894

Again, at HT, he subs Jesus.. the man that he turned to over Aguero last season with success.. I think Jesus was carrying a little knock from a kick in that half and that's what swayed that decision. Aguero had the perfect chance to show the manager why he should be the #1 striker.. unfortunately he hasn't taken that. Jesus Sterling and Bernardo for Bournemouth please.

3. Utrecht

Utrecht

I got it wrong today. My tactics did not work out the way I thought they would. We will change this next game. Having said that....we should have scored more, we had the chances.

That would have been stronger by Guardiola. Stronger than just blaming the players for missing.

4. Scooby Blue

Scooby Blue

There can sometimes be a bit of luck involved when managers stumble across a "winning" set-up (sometimes through injury to key players)
    e.g. Chelsea only changed to their wingback set-up last season after being well beaten at Arsenal.
    ...BUT most managers will then stick with what seems to be working.
    Leicester stuck to an identical system all season when they won the league.

Pep is like a mad scientist always trying to stir in new ingredients to make a magic potion that is the perfect cure for a specific problem.

I am sure that at some point this season we will find a set-up that "clicks".
    What I am not sure about is whether Pep will be pragmatic enough to stick with that system...or continue with his endless tweaking / experiments / innovation on a game-by-game basis.

I am also concerned by the inconsistency of his internal messaging to the squad:
    He says that players will be picked solely on what they are producing in training / game-time
    But then picks Sane (who has looked well off the pace pre-season) ahead of Sterling (who has looked in good form in the brief cameos he has been allowed on the pitch).

5. meeesh

meeesh

Over complicates things each game we play

6. City Raider

City Raider

I admire him sticking to his principles, but those principles do include crossing the ball every now and then as per Sterlings goal. So why not increase the odds of scoring from crosses with someone with a bit of physical presence?

It would have another advantage in that defences would have to respect our crossing and it would draw players out and create more room in the box. At the moment they just say ok you cross it. The balance hasn't been right since Edin left and it baffles me.

7. avoidconfusion

avoidconfusion

I feel like he has not really learned his lessons from last season. At least I do not see it yet.

8. Pablo1

Pablo1

Made up we've got him. Love what he's trying to do and can forgive him for individual errors that tend to cost us.
    He's made his own mistakes of course but then who doesn't?

9. 117 M34

117 M34

We have gone from half the forum betting on us to score a PL record number of goals to having a clown in charge because we drew against a decent team when we had to play half the game with 10 games.
    Get a grip

10. Scar Tissue

Scar Tissue

It's not just our strikers. KDB, Silva D, Sterling and Sane have also got it. Again, all top class players. It's too much of a coincidence that it's right through the team.

I've heard many a striker say when they miss a chance all they can focus on is the next one. It appears here as though the missed chances are weighing them all down and stopping the absolute focus needed for the chances that do come.

Could there be too much dwelling on it from players and staff?