Pep Guardiola - 2017/18 performances

Discussion in 'Player Performances' started by dave_blue12, 22 Aug 2017.

1. Manchester_lalala

Manchester_lalala

He's spoilt for choice. Toure, gundogan, Bernardo and sane all on the bench with sterling and Kompany not even in the squad. This squad isn't perfect, but it's still very strong.

2. shemnel

shemnel

when we lost possession around the half way line last season, the opposition always looked in on goal, and we repeatedly conceded very strong chances to the opposition (partly why Bravo conceded such a high ratio of shots).

this season we look more secure when losing possession, not always, but it's certainly better.

3. Nightmare Walking

Nightmare Walking

I think he got out of gaol a little yesterday and the result masked over some poor decisions from him.

Yet again he totally disregarded the strengths of the opposition. Every man and his dog knew that all Liverpool had of any threat was Salah and Mane diwn the flanks. Yet he set the team up so it played right into their hands.

There was ocean's of space behind our wing backs which they exploited far too easily. Otamendi against Salah was an utter mismatch. Now the sending off changed the match in our favour. Yet I would have seen that match being 3-3 had it remained 11 men each. We would have had all the ball and played the prettiest football, but you are only as strong as your weakest link.

I think we got lucky yesterday. To do nothing to try and nullify the only threat Liverpool had was absolutely scandalous.

4. Shirley

Shirley

They were not clinical enough to score even with the threat from the flanks. They are overrated and even with eleven on the pitch would not have scored three.

5. Not sure how you come to the opinion that having a left CB and left WB on the pitch was not an attempt to negate their right winger? The players failed in implementing their duties, but it was not a dereliction of duty from the manager. Work needs to be done with Mendy, as he has been poor defensively in his first two outings. He is quite bulky and can be turned quite easily also. Amazing going forward, but the jury is still out imo. Danilo should be allowed to try LCB, as Otamendi, and Managala previously against Gerona have performed atrociously.

6. waspish

waspish

Thing is with Kompany out we haven't got another top defender to step in Otemendi on the left of the three or right of the three we would still be under threat just like Liverpool were before the red, we would of our scored them 11 vs 11 but get your point.

7. Nightmare Walking

Nightmare Walking

They got in on 3 separate occasions. No one knows what would have happened if it had stayed 11 men a piece.
    The worry for me though was the total disregard by Pep in doing anything at all to nullify the threat.

8. Nightmare Walking

Nightmare Walking

I thought we played with our full back/wing backs far too high. They we had Otamendi too narrow and running in treacle. They left absolute ocean's of space in behind which just played into Liverpool's hands.

Why we had 3 cb's playing while they only had Firminho playing in a forward position was utterly baffling.

Would it not have been better to play a flat back 4 and ask our full backs to nullify their threat? Realistically there was no other way they were going to break us down.
    We could have then had Sane up against the fresh fish they had playing at right back.

9. waspish

waspish

What would you suggest he did?

10. Nightmare Walking

Nightmare Walking

See my above post mate.