Pep Guardiola - 2017/18 performances

Discussion in 'Player Performances' started by dave_blue12, 22 Aug 2017.

1. Andrew___K

Andrew___K

2. 80s Shorts

80s Shorts

Ah, that's where we went wrong. So simple.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Do a prematch analysis in such detail and get it right and then we can all hail you as a great football mind. As it is anybody who can string a sentence together can try and come across as a football genius after the event.

5-0 by the way.

3. arfurclue

arfurclue

it's tragic how Guardiola's defensive incompetence had city let in 5, whereas klipperty's defensive masterclass kept city to scoring none.

4. mccity

mccity

Thread Killer
    We've conceded 2 goals in 4 games so far. Extrapolate that over a full season that's 19 goals in 38 games. That's a travesty in the art of defending.

5. KCblue

KCblue

One of which was pretty much unstoppable too.

6. Neville Kneville

Neville Kneville

I think it's a bit silly when people ignore obvious faults because of a good result.

Imo, that's the perfect time to look at it, without kneejerk emotions & see what you can do to improve.

We were very close v Liverpool imo. We were still fucking awful, defensively, when it was 11 v 11, but it wasn't a huge tactical disaster that created the 'awfulness', like when the Pelle basically picked a team to lose, a couple of years back, & pretty much the whole thing was a write off, it was a tweak or two from being just about as good as it could be.

With the pace Liverpool have, there is no chance of getting through the game without a few scares, unless you set up like Mourinho.

But it was unfair on Otamendi, imo to leave him exposed & he was, again, being targeted.

And he was exposed, anyone can see that & people pretending not to see it are not doing themselves or the discussions any favours.

The question is, what to do about it in similar circumstances. Mendy was imo caught in two minds because Pep has told him to raid forward, but his instinct would be to cover Otamendi. In the end, he was somewhere inbetween & actually got forward better 2nd half.

I think Pep needs to consider, in situations like that, just taking a slight backward step & do something to fix the obvious hole. It almost cost us our advantage & had Liverpool scored, could have had a big effect on our confidence, in spite of the fact they were there for the taking. Just asking Mendy to drop back a bit might have been enough. Imo we still had enough firepower to open up Liverpool.

But on the whole, Pep showed a lot more nous in that area & we weren't just bombing forward stupidly. Indeed most of their attacks were caused by individual, rather than tactical, mistakes.

But the elephant in the room, is defenders without pace, vs attackers with pace. We have that handicap until at least Christmas, maybe all season (Kompany's pace is going as well even if he's fit).

Next season, surely, we need two new central defenders in the squad, who can sprint as well as do the other stuff.

7. waspish

waspish

If you say Otemendi needed some help you take an extra player from midfield or Mendy comes back to help out, now think how that would effect our game going forward?

Pep is all about attack putting the opponents under pressure and he always says our defenders need to be brave! 11 vs 11 we went 1 up and if it stayed 11 vs 11 we would of still won.

8. City_Sean

City_Sean

Pep expects his defenders to win their 1v1 battles, what's not Otamendi's fault is the fact that Salah is much faster and therefore he was always going to sprint past him.

9. Saddleworth2

Saddleworth2

I agree with much you say. Both Walker and Mendy were pressing forward in the first half when the defence was in trouble and my take on it was that they were under instruction from Pep to do just that. Maybe Pep thought that the risks in doing that were sufficient to create more space for our counter? In terms of lack of pace in our CB's Mangala has pace to burn and I wonder if Pep is having second thoughts? I thought the boy did pretty well when he replaced Ota including one lovely crisp pass that started an attack.

10. City_Sean

City_Sean

I'm not sure that Mangala was great when he came on. He did nothing wrong but there seems to be some hyperbole about his performance where he was largely untested.