Pep Guardiola - 2017/18 performances

Discussion in 'Player Performances' started by dave_blue12, 22 Aug 2017.

1. Nightmare Walking

Nightmare Walking

Mate I said exactly the same thing when the teams were announced. It is not rocket science. I am hardly a football genius but anyone could recognise just by looking at the teams where Liverpool's strengths were and how they could use them to their advantage.

I find this reluctance to criticise Pep by some on these forums somewhat bewildering. He dies not get it right all the time.

2. Saddleworth2

Saddleworth2

No hyperbole from me unless 'pretty well' falls into that category. This is the first prolonged spell he has had under Pep's coaching so it will be interesting to see what he can make of the mangler. The one thing he has got which stones and Ota don't is pace. Ota looked like he was running after Salah in his wellies on Saturday.

3. ak93city

ak93city

A good few on this forum think that the only thing that concerns a manager is winning games, and that nothing else matters.
    And of course this mentality manifests itself in the form of people complaining about Pep not targeting Liverpool's weaknesses which otherwise purportedly are blatant to the mass.

Does it occur to you fine folk that perhaps Mr Pep has other variables and concerns that he considers important (such as playing in a manner HE considers aesthetic) and hence would like to optimize for those as well, not just for winning the game?
    If you think results is all that matters then you're obviously at odds with City considering they've been paying top dollar to both Pellegrini in the past, and Pep now to not only win games, but also to establish a style of football that is entertaining and distinguishing.

If results is all you're after, there's always the other Manchester club with Mourinho in charge to support. I hear mourinho only and only cares about winning a game, no matter how much he kills the entertainment aspect of football. That would suit y'all I reckon.

4. dave_blue12

dave_blue12

The possible problem with your suggestion is that with our fullbacks sitting deeper we lose control of the game and invite more pressure. It could be counter productive.

I'm not saying it would but it's a possibility and one that Pep will certainly have considered.

As supporters we look at simple solutions but those solutions will always have a knock on effect.

I think discussing the game and our tactics is fine but for us to think we can see better than Pep Guardiola is plainly delusional.

5. Wreckless Alec

Wreckless Alec

I agree with this post Mr Kneville. What I can't make up.my mind about is whether Guardiola thought that pushing Mendy on would force Klopp to bring Salah back to cover thus nullifying his attacking threat. I simply don't believe that any left sided central defender would also be expected to keep an out and out, pacy winger under control at the same time as covering the left side of central defence. I suspect that Klopp double-bluffed and left him up there. A bold strategy which had a chance of coming off, in my view.

Either way, I think our class was beginning to tell even before the sending off.

6. waspish

waspish

I'd say Pep knows his players and there faults, maybe he thought our attacking players would just out score Liverpool.

7. Neville Kneville

Neville Kneville

I think we would have still battered them 11 v 11, but the only way that would have failed, would likely have been down to that one area.

I don't believe it was a plan to push back Salah, I think it's more that we are supposed to minimise the times they are able to play him in, & on several occasions it was our players passing the ball to Liverpool, which enabled that pass.

But in the end, Mendy was not so much of a threat to Liverpool 1st half, & I don't see it would have had a huge negative effect on our attack, for him to help Otamendi out. We have a galaxy of attacking options & it might have actually freed one of those up to go forward more & press/attack in his place.

But the simple solution to all these problems is find better/faster centre backs. Danilo had much less of a problem than Otamendi.

I'm just wondering how it would have looked, with Mane running at Otamendi on one side & Salah running at Jonny Fucking Evans on the other.

Pep has escaped from jail on that one.

8. Ric

Ric

Thought last night was one of our best performances under Guardiola. Very composed display from start to finish. Obviously the calibre of the opposition has to be taken into account, but they are Dutch champions and unbeaten at home in 18 months. Sterner tests lie ahead, of course, but there's been some promising signs over the last two games.

9. meeesh

meeesh

Definitely,it is looking fantastic,and also clean sheets,we can all relax knowing we have a top keeper once again now

10. Rolee

Rolee

It looked to me like Otamendi was getting sucked into the middle by Firminho and leaving far too much room on that wing.