Pep: I would have been sacked at Barca or Bayern.

Chelsea played way below their potential in Mourinho's final season. different situation. city probably achieved as much as we could in the circumstances. You can't win a title without a top keeper, and quality full backs. We might have gone a lot closer had jesus and kompany been available. They make a big difference
Many thought we were playing way below our potential under Pellegrini.

I disagree that this season has been worse than last season. Too much emphasis is being placed on winning a domestic cup for that to be considered.

2016/17 Finished 3rd in PL, 78 Pts Total, Goal Difference +41
2015/16 Finished 4th in PL, 66 Pts Total, Goal Difference +30

That's a suitable improvement on last season, despite the hyperbole that we had a shit defence and struggled to score. Include the overall age, progress and potential of our recent/new inclusions and there's plenty to be cheerful about for next season. I'd much rather be where we are at the end of this season than where we were at the end of last. Don't fall into the trap that winning a domestic cup is a foundation for a bright future. Just look towards the rags if you need any confirmation of that.

The top 6 teams this season picked up, on average, 10 more points than the top 6 teams in 15/16. Those extra points were taken mainly from the mid table teams. Hence I think a comparison of our points toal this season with last is somewhat misleading. Its at least partially due to a reduction in competitiveness of the PL.

Having said that, I agree that we are in a better place at the end of this season than last. A new GK and two full backs should make the world of difference.

Everyone should lay off Pep - his wife and kids were in the Arena. Our hearts go out to those families whose lives have changed forever.

In the 70s, 80s and 90s, we were known as boisterous and noisy fanatical fans who sold out our stadium every week despite abject failure on the pitch. As a season ticket holder and fan since 64 when I was 4 who has been going to matches since 67, I do understand where he's coming from. 54,000 is a big crowd by any measure, but lets be honest, he probably didn't expect 1,000/2000 empty seats. I'm in the North Stand, and as I look straight at the South Stand, there's small patches of empty seats in numerous areas. We possibly expanded too quickly ? When the capacity was 48,000 and we got 46,500 - the empty seats were all in the away area and the segregation - no real gaps in the rest of the ground. We're too kind to away fans - we give 'em a plum location. We should stick 'em in the corner. I guess Pep may have half expected an Atletico type fanaticism. However, in the days when we were loud, we had more working class fans. But even though City prices are not the most expensive in the Prem, the current demographic of more middle class types who can afford season tickets for the family does not equate to creating an atmosphere. They sit there - dad (probably an accountant), wife (would be Cheshire housewife) hair cut into a blonde bob and loads of makeup with their kids kitted out in half the stock of the superstore eating sweets. They are dinner party types who probably live somewhere like Bramhall or Heaton Moor, and sit in the stand smiling but making no noise. But they bring in the money. Even worse at Arsenal - is there a quieter set of fans anywhere ?

Last edited:
Pep is a smart guy, he will figure it out what he needs to win though I fear it may not be enough as he has no control over what the refs deal out.

Pep will step it up next season with his own team - I have no doubts on that front. We will be formidable in all departments with full backs as adept at defending as joining in the build up.

Everyone should lay off Pep - his wife and kids were in the Arena. Our hearts go out to those families whose lives have changed forever.

In the 70s, 80s and 90s, we were known as boisterous and noisy fanatical fans who sold out our stadium every week despite abject failure on the pitch. As a season ticket holder and fan since 64 when I was 4 who has been going to matches since 67, I do understand where he's coming from. 54,000 is a big crowd by any measure, but lets be honest, he probably didn't expect 1,000/2000 empty seats. I'm in the North Stand, and as I look straight at the South Stand, there's small patches of empty seats in numerous areas. We possibly expanded too quickly ? When the capacity was 48,000 and we got 46,500 - the empty seats were all in the away area and the segregation - no real gaps in the rest of the ground. We're too kind to away fans - we give 'em a plum location. We should stick 'em in the corner. I guess Pep may have half expected an Atletico type fanaticism. However, in the days when we were loud, we had more working class fans. But even though City prices are not the most expensive in the Prem, the current demographic of more middle class types who can afford season tickets for the family does not equate to creating an atmosphere. They sit there - dad (probably an accountant), wife (would be Cheshire housewife) hair cut into a blonde bob and loads of makeup with their kids kitted out in half the stock of the superstore eating sweets. They are dinner party types who probably live somewhere like Bramhall or Heaton Moor, and sit in the stand smiling but making no noise. But they bring in the money. Even worse at Arsenal - is there a quieter set of fans anywhere ?

Looking back we probably did expand too early, but having said that I wouldn't have got a season ticket in the past two seasons had we not built the south stand third tier.

I personally think the family stand is far too big.

I would like to know how many of the empty seats are season ticket holders. If the majority are seasoncard holders I don't understand why they don't use the ticket exchange. I was guilty of not using it once or twice 2 seasons ago but if I was to miss a game now I would always use it so it would give somebody the opportunity to watch City.

Maybe suspension penalties should be introduced for those that don't turn up and don't put their tickets on the ticket exchange, I don't know.

This is one of the reasons why in my opinion ticket prices will never decrease because if you make it too cheap the public will happily not feel too much of a hit if they don't turn up. Anything less than the lowest £299 season tickets and you could effectively just turn up for half the games and still get relative value for money if individual ticket prices are £35-£45.

Looking back we probably did expand too early, but having said that I wouldn't have got a season ticket in the past two seasons had we not built the south stand third tier.

I personally think the family stand is far too big.

I would like to know how many of the empty seats are season ticket holders. If the majority are seasoncard holders I don't understand why they don't use the ticket exchange. I was guilty of not using it once or twice 2 seasons ago but if I was to miss a game now I would always use it so it would give somebody the opportunity to watch City.

Maybe suspension penalties should be introduced for those that don't turn up and don't put their tickets on the ticket exchange, I don't know.

This is one of the reasons why in my opinion ticket prices will never decrease because if you make it too cheap the public will happily not feel too much of a hit if they don't turn up. Anything less than the lowest £299 season tickets and you could effectively just turn up for half the games and still get relative value for money if individual ticket prices are £35-£45.

I've used the ticket exchange a few times, but there's always been the temptation to leave it until the very last minute in case I can actually get to the game eg the wedding might be called off. I find using the exchange to be mentally quite difficult because of the finality of it!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.