Pet dog taken ill suddenly

Get him in quick and the vet will check his bloods and levels etc etc, could take a few days though for results. Could be anything from water infection or food poisoning through to liver ( swelling around the abdoman) and kidneys. Water infection is usually treated with a course of anti biotics and will start to clear up within a day or two, If it's liver, prepare for the worst.

This happened to my dog - he ate a corn on the cob a few weeks before and was fine so we thought okay - but it stayed within his gut and eventually moved blocking the intestine - he would eat and throw up then got so weak he couldn't eat. Just got him to vets in time - they had to stabilise him before operating. He stopped breathing on the operating table but they got him going again. Had to be nursed and kept for a week before he recovered.

When he was sick we kept getting false hope because he would hold his food down for 12 hours or so before throwing up but after a few days he was so weak he was struggling to move. His coat also lost a lot of luster over the preceding weeks but as we had him neutered we put it wrongly down to that. I got lucky, but I would never leave it more than 24 hours now and certainly not 48. Is there any bile ? Ps not saying it is corn on the cob , but could be some similar sort of restriction but whatever it is it is serious and you need to get to the vets ASAP.

could be anything, ours went from one day fine to next day unable to get up and howling in pain, took them straight to the vet, was diagnosed with bloat, operated on and home within 3 hours and back to normal within 24 hours.

Leaving it multiple days isn't wise and will only make it more difficult to solve.

Hope he is ok. Always have the details of an emergency vet. Sometimes immediate treatment is vital. Let us know how he is and as I said, I hope he is easily sorted.

Just wanted to say thanks and give you an update.

Our own Vet turned out and having looked at what he was passing and physically examined him diahnosed a travelling infection. Its last as long as it has due to him eating something he shouldn't have. It lasted as long as it did as it has slowly made its way through his digestive system causing havoc in the process.. He was gives a large boost of antibiotics via injection and last night after a couple of hours it was as is Billy Graham had been round and worked his magic. He's on a weeks worth of strong antibiotic tablets to ensure it completely out of his system , limited food portions of chicken and rice and all being well he should be fine.

You really are a good bunch of people and thanks for taking time to reply to me, it's
Very much appreciated.

Just wanted to say thanks and give you an update.

Our own Vet turned out and having looked at what he was passing and physically examined him diahnosed a travelling infection. Its last as long as it has due to him eating something he shouldn't have. It lasted as long as it did as it has slowly made its way through his digestive system causing havoc in the process.. He was gives a large boost of antibiotics via injection and last night after a couple of hours it was as is Billy Graham had been round and worked his magic. He's on a weeks worth of strong antibiotic tablets to ensure it completely out of his system , limited food portions of chicken and rice and all being well he should be fine.

You really are a good bunch of people and thanks for taking time to reply to me, it's
Very much appreciated.

Phew. So pleased you got him sorted. Was getting a bit worried.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.