Phil Foden - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't see the game last night (thankfully) but reportedly Stones kept on having to signal to the midfielders where they needed to be in order to receive a constructive pass from him.
The present incumbents seem competent at breaking play up and basic attacking play but we need more than that.
Foden is a strong candidate to be able to provide what we need and the sooner he is fast tracked into the setup the better IMO.
I caught the second half only.that was enough.my god was it painful. I do remember a couple of occasions where the simplest ball from centre back to central midfield was made to look like extracting teeth...its not hendersons natural game to find space deep in central midfield,recieve a ball in a tight situation,control it,and have already decided where he will pass it to before he has recieved it.That is Phil Fodens unique area of expertise.
The fact that our gifted young player knows where the goal is,has an eye for the defence splitting pass, and is not adverse to carrying the ball thru central midfield with his dribbling skills...that aligned to his passing ability in tight situations...he would appear to be the answer.alongside someone who has,as you say,the basic ability to break up play.
But...not under this current manager.

Last edited:
Didn't see the game last night (thankfully) but reportedly Stones kept on having to signal to the midfielders where they needed to be in order to receive a constructive pass from him.
The present incumbents seem competent at breaking play up and basic attacking play but we need more than that.
Foden is a strong candidate to be able to provide what we need and the sooner he is fast tracked into the setup the better IMO.

International football is mostly shite & if Southgate wants to play football, with players passing the ball out from the back, he can't possibly do it with these fucking incompetents in midfield but because it's a step down from the intensity of Prem football, it could be that a number of talented kids could hold their own, if accompanied by some of the best senior players.

That would mean leaving out players from top sides & the fans of those teams & their mates in the press would lynch the England manager.

I don't believe Southgate is anywhere near good enough to be a top PL manager, but he could get an international team playing pass & move if he had players with skill & brains, to do it.

If Spain had players like Henderson, Dier, Ox, Cahill & nobody else better, they would just chuck the whole thing & pick the kids who can actually play football, & just suffer the results until it worked, so would the Germans.

England have never done that & the manager wouldn't be allowed to. That's why they are fucking shit.

People like Foden would be closer to international football in Spain or Germany than here anyhow. There will be other 6 ft trogs who come along in the future, to take his spot.

The lad wouldnt have been out of his depth at wembley last night.
Not sure about this keeping him down mentality. He looks good enough now ...and i,d say the england team could be moulded around his particular brand of quick fire ,accurate passing.you camt teach players this skill,they either have it or they dont.Foden for England full team.Now.if jessie big nose can get in,along with over rated rash,and wooney as a teenager before him,why isnt Phil Foden being given the chance?
Dont care if he is not in our first team.England need him.

I agree. This lad has it all at just 17 years of age.

When I first saw him I thought he was the weakest out of the trio that was himself,Diaz and Sancho.
Now I think he is the best out of the three and is destined for greatness.
Just a matter of time before the whole world knows his name, and he's a City fan as well :))

I agree. This lad has it all at just 17 years of age.

When I first saw him I thought he was the weakest out of the trio that was himself,Diaz and Sancho.
Now I think he is the best out of the three and is destined for greatness.
Just a matter of time before the whole world knows his name, and he's a City fan as well :))
I hope,in time, all 3 youngsters can make the grade and atep up.
Phil Foden, for me,is ready.Now.bizzarely...ready for England s full team ...maybe subs bench for City under current manager.I personally would have not brought the 2nd Silva,and ...developed Foden.i understand this season we need to win this that the other or Pep is sacked etc...but i think City snd England are looking a gift horse in the mouth here,and i do wonder why the media have virtually ignored him,no ear to the ground journalist has much to say about him.....i do wonder.

I hope,in time, all 3 youngsters can make the grade and atep up.
Phil Foden, for me,is ready.Now.bizzarely...ready for England s full team ...maybe subs bench for City under current manager.I personally would have not brought the 2nd Silva,and ...developed Foden.i understand this season we need to win this that the other or Pep is sacked etc...but i think City snd England are looking a gift horse in the mouth here,and i do wonder why the media have virtually ignored him,no ear to the ground journalist has much to say about him.....i do wonder.

He is only 17, plenty of time yet.
This time next year I think he'll be starting premier league games and will then be in the running for an England call up.
I've no doubt whatsoever that Diaz/Sancho will become top players, but for me Foden looks like the real big fish

He is only 17, plenty of time yet.
This time next year I think he'll be starting premier league games and will then be in the running for an England call up.
I've no doubt whatsoever that Diaz/Sancho will become top players, but for me Foden looks like the real big fish
Are you,in effect,saying City will line up with both Bernardo Silva..and Phil Foden next season.?
For Silva is an outstanding player.
My point is Foden is ready now,a chance should have been taken on him,unsure why he needs a youth world cup,he should ,arguably, be at the Senior World Cup,with a stack of prem and champs league matches under his belt.

I really don't think Foden is ready yet. The preseason friendlies were only friendlies but apart from the United game he didn't look sharp enough to cut it just yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.