Phil Foden - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scholes, Beckscum and Chuckle snr were not regulars at 17-18 they played the odd league cup game, it was only when they reached 20 that they became regular first-team starters. To be a regular at 17 you have to be something truly exceptional.

No one is suggesting Foden should be regularly starting in our first team though are they? No. Not a single person. I couldn't have made that more clear in the comment.

This happens every single time youth opportunities are brought up.

Someone says "Kids just want to know they'll get an opportunity here"
And people reply "No one get guaranteed a place in the starting XI, they have to earn it"

Or Someone says "Just give the kid a chance"
And people reply "He can't be expected to start for title contenders every week"

It's ridiculous. Every time.

Last edited:
No one is suggesting Foden should be regularly starting in our first team though are they? No. Not a single person. I couldn't have made that more clear in the comment.

This happens every single time youth opportunities are brought up.

Someone says "Kids just want to know they'll get an opportunity here"
And people reply "No one get guaranteed a place in the starting XI, they have to earn it"

Or Someone says "Just give the kid a chance"
And people reply "He can't be expected to start for title contenders every week"

It's ridiculous. Every time.

Pep has already said he would have played against Wolves. Diaz would also have played if he hadn't got injured. I'm pretty sure Foden will play over the next few weeks. I'd be surprised If he doesn't start out wide in the league cup. I don't think you have much to complain about at the moment. If he hasn't played a few games before the end of the season then you may have a point but it's highly likely that he will.

Scholes, Beckscum and Chuckle snr were not regulars at 17-18 they played the odd league cup game, it was only when they reached 20 that they became regular first-team starters. To be a regular at 17 you have to be something truly exceptional.

Yep and when he eventually played them they got beat at villa 3-1 and Hanson the cock on MOTD said something that made the class of 92 the wanker.

100% correct , Foden needs game time and is the future , Yaya is half way to NYC and a nice pension fund.
Does the fact that they play in different positions not cause a bit of an issue with that plan? Or are we going to have Foden play in front of the defence as a deep midfielder?

Where did he play the u17 final and previous games? RW if Im not mistaken?

I think he will start out on the wings and eventually move inside like our David.

Scholes was done by 30 was he?

The bastard won 5 league titles, 1 Fa Cup, 2 League cups and the Champions League and played 303 games in his 30's.

Tell me how done Gareth Barry was at 30 as well? Started playing at 17. 250 games after 30.
Frank Lampard? Started playing at 17. 348 games after 30.
Ryan Giggs? Started playing at 18. 420 games after 30.
Gerrard? Started playing at 18. 220 games after 30.

Truth is, the only footballers who have had a career curtailed by an early start are the likes of Rooney, Owen or Fowler who were undroppable first team members at 17/18.

No one is suggesting that so your entire "too much too soon" argument is rubbished. 10 appearances of the bench in the league and half a dozen cup games are not going to do any harm.

It's just another excuse for people looking for reasons to not use him.
Great post.

Does the fact that they play in different positions not cause a bit of an issue with that plan? Or are we going to have Foden play in front of the defence as a deep midfielder?

Foden should take Yaya's position on the bench , Gundogan is the obvious replacement for Toure's position , last time i checked we were allowed seven substitutes and Foden should be amongst them not Yaya , (unless there is a possibility of a penalty shoot out , then Yaya gets my vote:)

Where did he play the u17 final and previous games? RW if Im not mistaken?

I think he will start out on the wings and eventually move inside like our David.

He doesn't really suit our kind of winger.

He has played on the right but it's more like how KDB or Silva used to play side in the 3 behind a striker sometimes.

I think he'll play as an 8 and Diaz as RW.

If only we had a manager who we could trust to judge when and how its right to bring this lad through.......oh for a manager who has seen young world class players evolve into superstars.

As for the lad himself he I am sure like many of the players in the squad he will fancy his chances of playing in some big football matches this season, picking up medals, Premier League titles, Champions league medals and most in the squad will think they are in with a decent chance of a World cup winners medal too, Foden already has one but I bet you he quietly wonders if he could get a second one in 12months...he just might.

As it happens we do have a manager who has all the attributes to make this lad as good as he possibly can be, others too, and this manager we should trust implicitly to do the right thing for Phil Foden and Manchester City.

I think it may well be tomorrow that Phil Foden gets his chance but if not I am sure it will be sooner rather than later.

Edited....fkin phone

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.