Phil Foden - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
We also have to have some trust in the management team and Pep. Last night showed that both these young men are quite a way that Off the first team, extra touches from the normal 2 touch football we have seen this season, losing the ball a couple of times, not pressing as hard as they couldve.

Obviously this will get better with the experience they gain by training and playing with the first team, and now I understand why Pep has held them back for so long, when I think we've all been a bit guilty in being very impatient for the last few months.

With all due respect mate, this is the kind of stuff that drives me mad as its simply not true, yet you say it with so much conviction that others will believe it as well.

I posted this on twitter last night of every touch Foden made during the game. It's a video that proves that to be bollocks.

As you can see here, he holds onto the ball for barely any time, rarely taking more than a couple of touches. His teammates he passes to take just as few, often more than he does. As is totally normal. Foden recycled possession perfectly fine, as Guardiola would have expected. The proof is in the video, right there. He acted exactly the same as all the senior pros around him who took a few touches as well. You can see it there. Jesus holding onto the ball, Danilo, Sterling.

I haven’t got a video of Brahim, but he literally had two touches last night, and one was a run where he drove down the right, but still span back with two people chasing him and, most importantly, as Pep will attest, kept the ball. Pep’s mantra is ‘keep the ball’. Brahim did that, and also showed a little bit of eagerness in the three minutes he had to drive at a defender and try and make an impression.

If you can honestly say that those two cameos were vastly lesser than the older players around him we must be watching a different game, or you must be seeing that video differently ^

You’re entitled to think they’re not ready, but the idea that they were holding onto it naively and acting differently to the others is categorically not true.

Yes, last night, your comment is 100% untrue, not my opinion, just actually facts, it's not true, they didn't do that, at all.
Ok we have a difference of opinions, and that's what makes a football forum. I wasn't trying to be negative as I feel how this has been turned into, just that after reading the replies, as usual many have got giddy.

Do you honestly believe Foden will be a first team regular next season, or do you believe he needs another year gaining minutes and being around the first team squad to improve?

Your second comment regarding reasons for them being 'well off' is absolutely 100% not true & I have no idea why you have posted it.

Based on last night in the first team. Youth level is different.

Yes, last night, your comment is 100% untrue, not my opinion, just actually facts, it's not true, they didn't do that, at all.

Diaz didn't lose the ball once when he came on, Foden lost it one time, due to Danilo (?) leaving him high and dry by passing it to him when he was surrounded by 4 Feyenoord players, in a situation where Merlin would have lost the ball.

Ok we have a difference of opinions, and that's what makes a football forum. I wasn't trying to be negative as I feel how this has been turned into, just that after reading the replies, as usual many have got giddy.

Do you honestly believe Foden will be a first team regular next season, or do you believe he needs another year gaining minutes and being around the first team squad to improve?

I honestly have no idea & I don't think Pep does either. You can never tell with young players, which is why I'm so pissed off we let so many go, without trying them out.

Just see how much time he gets on the pitch & what he does when he's on there & take it from there.

It might be that he & Diaz are better in the Champions League than in the League Cup with big hairy arsed defenders knocking them over.

Just have to takie it one game at the time, as the cliche goes. But both look like hey have a great chance (& there are more to come in the coming seasons I think/hope)

Great to see Foden and Diaz come on last night, and this morning I'm sure they will both be buzzing at the opportunity that was given to both of them. Both look like they have potential to go far in the game, and I loved the way Foden in particular was hungry for the ball

But......

We also have to have some trust in the management team and Pep. Last night showed that both these young men are quite a way that Off the first team, extra touches from the normal 2 touch football we have seen this season, losing the ball a couple of times, not pressing as hard as they couldve.

Obviously this will get better with the experience they gain by training and playing with the first team, and now I understand why Pep has held them back for so long, when I think we've all been a bit guilty in being very impatient for the last few months.

Looking forward to see them both get more minutes against Shakhtar and better performanc s for the future.

However long it takes for them to get upto speed with the style of play, we have 2 absolute gems that might only be another full season away from being first team regulars.

Very exciting times are ahead, but we have to trust the club and let them gradually bed in over a longer period of time.

thats a load of rubbish. i think foden lost it once and diaz didnt. both passed the ball just as fast as other players. and to say based on 15 minutes and 4 minutes there are way off the first team... is ridiculous, i dont even know how you can come to that conclusion tbh. both didnt even look out of place.

the video above shows fodens touches, where in that video is he taking more touches and not pressing ? other then one loose ball he looks like a first team player.

With all due respect mate, this is the kind of stuff that drives me mad as its simply not true, yet you say it with so much conviction that others will believe it as well.

I posted this on twitter last night of every touch Foden made during the game. It's a video that proves that to be bollocks.

As you can see here, he holds onto the ball for barely any time, rarely taking more than a couple of touches. His teammates he passes to take just as few, often more than he does. As is totally normal. Foden recycled possession perfectly fine, as Guardiola would have expected. The proof is in the video, right there. He acted exactly the same as all the senior pros around him who took a few touches as well. You can see it there. Jesus holding onto the ball, Danilo, Sterling.

I haven’t got a video of Brahim, but he literally had two touches last night, and one was a run where he drove down the right, but still span back with two people chasing him and, most importantly, as Pep will attest, kept the ball. Pep’s mantra is ‘keep the ball’. Brahim did that, and also showed a little bit of eagerness in the three minutes he had to drive at a defender and try and make an impression.

If you can honestly say that those two cameos were vastly lesser than the older players around him we must be watching a different game, or you must be seeing that video differently ^

You’re entitled to think they’re not ready, but the idea that they were holding onto it naively and acting differently to the others is categorically not true.

Ste I'm not trying to be negative but critical. These kids have amazing potential but they are kids and they are not ready for a full 90 in a league cup quarter final against a physical and very well drilled Leicater side. That's what some people on this thread are shouting for. I'd love to see them get 20-30mins in that game. They both should be slowly integrated into the team. There is a part there where Phils inexperience comes in and he loses the ball, rather than bust a gut to get back he jumps up in the air in frustration. It didn't cost us but I'm sure a perfectionist like Pep will look at that sort of thing, and the extra touches as a work in progress and will embrace it because of their potential.
As I said I'm being critical and trying to think as a manager rather than a fan.
All in all it was great to see both of them make their CL debuts, and they certainly made an impression, but as usual on here everyone is heaping praise without looking at what can be improved. I'm suggesting that through training with the first team and valuable minutes playing in the first team will only see them both blossom into world class players, but be patient.

It's very rarely I'm wrong about youth players, and I know you watch these lads every week and I don't.

I think everyone agrees that we have a bright future ahead with these 2 and a number of others I have read about because of you.

Take it slowly and don't burn them out at an early age, which we have seen happen over and over again with many footballers.

I honestly have no idea & I don't think Pep does either. You can never tell with young players, which is why I'm so pissed off we let so many go, without trying them out.

Just see how much time he gets on the pitch & what he does when he's on there & take it from there.

It might be that he & Diaz are better in the Champions League than in the League Cup with big hairy arsed defenders knocking them over.

Just have to takie it one game at the time, as the cliche goes. But both look like hey have a great chance (& there are more to come in the coming seasons I think/hope)
No denying it, it's very exciting to have 2 youngsters being so close, and I agree one game at a time will be exactly how this plays out. The more minutes (gradually) will allow us 2 absolute footballing wonders.
I want them both to make it,min fact would love all the youngsters to make it, if not here then somewhere else, but we just have to be smart, iron out the little creases, and that's what they are, very little creases. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.