Phil Foden - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ste I'm not trying to be negative but critical. These kids have amazing potential but they are kids and they are not ready for a full 90 in a league cup quarter final against a physical and very well drilled Leicater side. That's what some people on this thread are shouting for. I'd love to see them get 20-30mins in that game. They both should be slowly integrated into the team. There is a part there where Phils inexperience comes in and he loses the ball, rather than bust a gut to get back he jumps up in the air in frustration. It didn't cost us but I'm sure a perfectionist like Pep will look at that sort of thing, and the extra touches as a work in progress and will embrace it because of their potential.
As I said I'm being critical and trying to think as a manager rather than a fan.
All in all it was great to see both of them make their CL debuts, and they certainly made an impression, but as usual on here everyone is heaping praise without looking at what can be improved. I'm suggesting that through training with the first team and valuable minutes playing in the first team will only see them both blossom into world class players, but be patient.

It's very rarely I'm wrong about youth players, and I know you watch these lads every week and I don't.

I think everyone agrees that we have a bright future ahead with these 2 and a number of others I have read about because of you.

Take it slowly and don't burn them out at an early age, which we have seen happen over and over again with many footballers.

Great, I agree with the patience stuff. Not disagreeing, but don't make stuff up as it's simply not fair on them. The taking too much touches stuff is bollocks as the video proves. The frustration is no different to the frustration shown by Jesus after every single tackle.

Ste I'm not trying to be negative but critical. These kids have amazing potential but they are kids and they are not ready for a full 90 in a league cup quarter final against a physical and very well drilled Leicater side. That's what some people on this thread are shouting for. I'd love to see them get 20-30mins in that game. They both should be slowly integrated into the team. There is a part there where Phils inexperience comes in and he loses the ball, rather than bust a gut to get back he jumps up in the air in frustration. It didn't cost us but I'm sure a perfectionist like Pep will look at that sort of thing, and the extra touches as a work in progress and will embrace it because of their potential.
As I said I'm being critical and trying to think as a manager rather than a fan.
All in all it was great to see both of them make their CL debuts, and they certainly made an impression, but as usual on here everyone is heaping praise without looking at what can be improved. I'm suggesting that through training with the first team and valuable minutes playing in the first team will only see them both blossom into world class players, but be patient.

It's very rarely I'm wrong about youth players, and I know you watch these lads every week and I don't.

I think everyone agrees that we have a bright future ahead with these 2 and a number of others I have read about because of you.

Take it slowly and don't burn them out at an early age, which we have seen happen over and over again with many footballers.

Your comments re their performance is 100% unfair.

That is irrespective of whether they make it or not.

That's the point everyone is reacting too, not the stuff about the future or anything else, they were not less reliable, slower in possession, giving the ball away, working less hard or anything else, they did absolutely fine in direct comparison to the senior players around them.

Have a look at whether jesus lost the ball when he came on.

thats a load of rubbish. i think foden lost it once and diaz didnt. both passed the ball just as fast as other players. and to say based on 15 minutes and 4 minutes there are way off the first team... is ridiculous, i dont even know how you can come to that conclusion tbh. both didnt even look out of place.

the video above shows fodens touches, where in that video is he taking more touches and not pressing ? other then one loose ball he looks like a first team player.
Said 'quite a way off' that isn't as far as your way off.

Hugely pleased for him.

My one criticism was that he often ran towards the possession (obviously wanting the ball on his debut) rather than trying to find the space. It's completely understandable due to it being his debut and that at youth levels, he probably does have to take possession off other players rather than trusting they can find him. It's also very encouraging that he improved in this regard as the game went on - running towards the ball when he first got on the pitch, but finding the spaces later on.

Very promising. Should start against Shakhtar and look to get minutes in another couple of games before January (Leicester in the cup for example) with the fixture pile up.

No denying it, it's very exciting to have 2 youngsters being so close, and I agree one game at a time will be exactly how this plays out. The more minutes (gradually) will allow us 2 absolute footballing wonders.
I want them both to make it,min fact would love all the youngsters to make it, if not here then somewhere else, but we just have to be smart, iron out the little creases, and that's what they are, very little creases. :)

I'm pretty sure they'll make much bigger mistakes than they did last night as they go along mate.

And have periods when they become a bit shit for a while. It usually happens with young players.

Great, I agree with the patience stuff. Not disagreeing, but don't make stuff up as it's simply not fair on them. The taking too much touches stuff is bollocks as the video proves. The frustration is no different to the frustration shown by Jesus after every single tackle.
I believe we are trying to play a two touch game, except when we are in the final third where it looks like anything goes. There is a few times he takes a third or 4th touch. I'm just being critical and comparing to say Silva or KDB. He'll make it just not for another year or maybe a little more.

I agree about Jesus as well, and he is still in that learning stage also, bit more advanced than Foden but still learning and when Kun is fit this is why Gabriel is our 2nd striker. Anyway bed time for me.

Didn't mean to rock the boat guys, as you were. Have a good day cos the future is definitely City :)

Said 'quite a way off' that isn't as far as your way off.

alright well i still disagree. i dont think foden is 'quite' a way off and i don't really know how you can come to that conclusion based on 15 minutes and 4 minutes. your points about not pressing/touches weren't true either.

Hugely pleased for him.

My one criticism was that he often ran towards the possession (obviously wanting the ball on his debut) rather than trying to find the space. It's completely understandable due to it being his debut and that at youth levels, he probably does have to take possession off other players rather than trusting they can find him. It's also very encouraging that he improved in this regard as the game went on - running towards the ball when he first got on the pitch, but finding the spaces later on.

Very promising. Should start against Shakhtar and look to get minutes in another couple of games before January (Leicester in the cup for example) with the fixture pile up.

I actually liked that, in comparison to the donkey's dicks playing in England's midfield. It shows he doesn't mind receiving the ball under pressure & belives he has an out ball even if it's not obvious to us what that might be

It's a good starting point imo & he can refine it as he goes along.

Your comments re their performance is 100% unfair.

That is irrespective of whether they make it or not.

That's the point everyone is reacting too, not the stuff about the future or anything else, they were not less reliable, slower in possession, giving the ball away, working less hard or anything else, they did absolutely fine in direct comparison to the senior players around them.

Have a look at whether jesus lost the ball when he came on.

Exactly. I can take the patience and that they're raw still, cos they technically are, but all I want is it called fairly. If that was Gundogan in Foden's skin and Bernardo Silva in Brahim's not one single person would have thought 'that's a 17 and an 18 year old making their home debuts in the Champions League', cos you really couldn't tell. They played exactly like you'd expect two technical players who have been training with the first team squad all season would play.

Exactly. I can take the patience and that they're raw still, cos they technically are, but all I want is it called fairly. If that was Gundogan in Foden's skin and Bernardo Silva in Brahim's not one single person would have thought 'that's a 17 and an 18 year old making their home debuts in the Champions League', cos you really couldn't tell. They played exactly like you'd expect two technical players who have been training with the first team squad all season would play.

They were almost as close to perfect as it's possible to be, in general play, imo.

Diaz against his natural instinct, made sure he didn't take any chances, which I particularly liked, because if he sorts out that part of his game, & improves his finishing just a bit imo, he has a real chance of getting games.

Foden just looked a class act & physically very close to first team level.

Slightly off topic but is young Tommy still coming along nicely ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.