Phil Foden - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing wrong with Maguire's challenge, he went for the ball and won it cleanly from the side - if you watch the replay (6:33 on the OS long highlights) Phil turned his ankle over as he fell.
I would agree with you accept, even watching the replay back just now, Maguire comes in from behind and goes through the Foden as he is blocking the cross. That is dangerous play but defenders nearly always get away with it in the box as long as either 1) they block the shot/cross 2) the attacker gets his shot off on goal.

Last edited:
come on mate, it was good tackle, it's football, not ballet. Phil was unlucky, he's still physically not strong, his ankle turned and that's it.

Gutting for the kid and us.

Given our involvement in every comp,our success on the pitch and subsequently our ability to integrate the kids,this is incredibly piss poor luck.

It really is. With Silva not around he would have had plenty of chances to play for the first team even if for 10 mins here or there, particularly over christmas period.

Hope it is a month as opposed to several. Can build strength while he is away and it will help him come to terms with what an amazing year he has had and when he is back he should be stronger and even more ready for 1st team action.

Did he do it against Leicester? Didn’t notice anything untoward.

Late on in the match, Maguire came in from behind to block a cross coming in to Foden and Fodens ankle got caught under Maguires leg, he wasn't far away from snapping his ankle, any more weight coming down from Maguire and it would have.

Nothing wrong with Maguire's challenge, he went for the ball and won it cleanly from the side - if you watch the replay (6:33 on the OS long highlights) Phil turned his ankle over as he fell.
Yeah but he's still got a fat head though! ;)

Where does the hate for Maguire come from? I noticed it in the match thread even though he seemed to be playing well.

Gutted for Foden, it is true that refs allow too many full blooded challenges especially when one team is playing lots of youth players(one of which is regarded as the future of the national team) a bit of common sense from the ref and players will reign it in trying bully the younger players... Although some will say they shouldn't need special protection if they are going to learn the real game, I think that's rag talk though because they wont always be 17 and at a physical disadvantage.

Last edited:
come on mate, it was good tackle, it's football, not ballet. Phil was unlucky, he's still physically not strong, his ankle turned and that's it.
I guess we just have different definitions of good tackles.

Then again, a tackle almost exactly like that one lead to my knee injury that ended my competitive playing days (only at uni level, but still) so I suppose I am a bit more conservative on these matters.

Foden's injury is one of the top stories on the BBC website, and leading the sports news on radio 5Live. Isn't that crazy? We're talking about a kid with 1 league appearance here, and him picking up a month long injury is national sports news.

A good example of just how much the spotlight is on him right now following the golden ball and SPOTY award, it can be great for him, but he'll need to be protected from it as well.

If I recall it was the challenge from Maguire in the penalty box and his ankle rolled over, you could see it in the replay.

He still got up and played for another 5/10 minutes though if I remember.

If it was a cruciate I doubt he would have been able to play on as he did and walk off, albeit Mendy did.

Hopefully if it is ligament damage it’s just medial. You can be back within a month can’t you?

Actually not necessarily. The ACL doesnt have a blood supply, so you can sometimes tear it and not realize (strange as that sounds). Much of the time when it is torn, the pain comes from auxiliary injuries like an MCL sprain or meniscus damage.

Of course praying this isn't the case for Phil and that he is back soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.