PL2 City v Chelsea - 11th August - ko 1905

Discussion in 'EDS and Academy Forum' started by eyejay51, 11 Aug 2017.

1. lancs blue

lancs blue

Is the title Elite Development Squad something of a misnomer nowadays?

It could be argued that in the current structure of the CFG the elite graduates from the U-18s won't actually spend much time being coached in the EDS, they'll either be loaned out fairly quickly to NAC, Girona etc or exceptionally they'll be fast-tracked to train with the first team as per Foden and Diaz. Those remaining at the EDS will mainly be 2nd year scholars or first pro-contract players, the majority of whom will either be loaned or sold to lower division teams or released when their contracts expire. On that basis we would surely now want our best youth coaches to be in place at the levels up to and including U-18, not at the EDS.

2. Ruzzles

Ruzzles

Wtf?

Why wouldn't you want the best coaches at EDS there isn't a single player who went from the U18s on loan they all went to the EDS.

Foden and Muric are the only ones who went from U18 to first and they'll play games in the EDS this season aswell.

3. lancs blue

lancs blue

Well it seems to me that since we enlisted these satellite teams such as NAC and Girona the EDS has been somewhat sidelined in terms of its development role with the best of the U-18 graduates.

4. Ruzzles

Ruzzles

How is that? All players that went to NAC or Girona came from the EDS to make room in the EDS for the U18s.

5. lancs blue

lancs blue

You clearly disagree, that's fair enough. It's just my impression that the amount of actual elite development done at EDS level has declined over the past 2-3 years.

6. Ruzzles

Ruzzles

Yea that's because Davies is the coach.

7. Nelly's Left Foot

Nelly's Left Foot

Davies is a bit depressing isn't he!

8. mccity

mccity

Thread Killer

Chelsea's youth teams are very talented. Very well trained, as good as anybody (including at City) it's no coincidence they fill up most of England's youth teams. And like City, Chelsea play younger teams than most. It's all good. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just wrong,and I apologise if I made it seem like Chelsea's size is the only thing going for them.

It's just Chelsea players are also big. You might not believe it but they are. And it does make a difference at youth level.

9. OhForAGreavsie

OhForAGreavsie

I agree with you. For me, going on loan on graduating from U18 level is the footballing equivalent of going off to university like so many other 18 year olds around the world do at that stage of their development.

10. blueparrot

blueparrot

As you point out players went out to make room for U18 players. I havent seen the game or the teams, but I waould hazard a guess the Chelsea team as usual were older and bigger than ours. Happy to be corrected if this wasnt the case.