Player Topic: Nicolas Otamendi (2015/16)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could Denayer have done any worse than Demichelis, Mangala and Otamendi in the last two games? I very much doubt it, we seem to have spent north of £60m on two CBs who need Kompany to tell them what to do.
Kompany looked equally inept, if not more so for almost all of last season. At some point we might have to just admit that the defensive "system" we are trying to play doesn't work and makes it far too hard for our CB's. Stick any of our 3 main defenders in a normal system and they'd probably all look like world beaters. Instead they are asked to play a suicidally predictable offside trap, despite a midfield that doesn't put any pressure on the ball, while also being expected to break the line to charge into midfield to put pressure on anyone in the hole.

Bad day at the office for him, I thought he got bullied a bit. He has had more good games than bad though for me. I think his footing was all over the show he couldn’t wriggle round and position himself quick enough, he felt a bit of contact and went for it. Would be very harsh to give as a foul.

Kompany looked equally inept, if not more so for almost all of last season. At some point we might have to just admit that the defensive "system" we are trying to play doesn't work and makes it far too hard for our CB's. Stick any of our 3 main defenders in a normal system and they'd probably all look like world beaters. Instead they are asked to play a suicidally predictable offside trap, despite a midfield that doesn't put any pressure on the ball, while also being expected to break the line to charge into midfield to put pressure on anyone in the hole.
I agree with you to an extent about the system but for the first 5 league games this season with Kompany there we were pretty watertight at the back but as soon as he was out we were floundering defensively even against teams from the bottom half. We seem to lack an organiser at the back without Kompany.

It is definitely the system. We are hanging the defence out to dry. They are told to play a ridiculously high line with the fullbacks bombing on.

I agree with you to an extent about the system but for the first 5 league games this season with Kompany there we were pretty watertight at the back but as soon as he was out we were floundering defensively even against teams from the bottom half. We seem to lack an organiser at the back without Kompany.
I'm not saying it's a system that cannot work, I'm saying it's a system that doesn't give you anywhere near as good a chance to work as a less high risk system. It's setting up our defenders to fail. I don't believe that organiser stuff either, as we were wank with him last season, while Mangala and Demichelis managed to put in some good performances together.

I think it's a system that works if it works, but if the opposition outmaneuver it then it has no response. It's breaks down into complete anarchy if the opposition start to get the better of it. Put it this way, if I was an opposition manager I would absolutely love to come up against our defensive system.

It begs this question: What chance it being given at the other end?

Normally id ask the same question but similar happened in the first game for Vinnys goal when Chellini claimed the foul and got ignored.

He was caught wrong side last night and went down looking for a free kick its that simple.

Poor defending on this occasion for me.

Poor on the goal last night needs to be a lot stronger has started well but with all the chopping and changing it doesnt help us with the defence. I just think Vinny in any team is the glue that keeps us solid this season. Shame with the injuries as if he was fit I see us at least 6 points better off in the league at this stage and not getting beaten last night. Hopefully there is some good news soon about Kompany to come back and team with Otamendi.

The gap between the two center backs is huge concern and one of the reason we are so welcoming to the opponents.Top that with high line is a recipe for disaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.