Player Topic: Raheem Sterling (2015/16)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We bought Sterling for his potential. It's clear to see the ability he has, as shown in his Liverpool days & glimpses with us - like others have said though he seems to be a little reluctant to take risks currently, but hopefully that will come.

He's one for the future, just like United bought Martial for his potential - however we're in a far better position in that we simply can rest him & be just as strong if not stronger to give him some time to get more settled/confidence. United have to play Martial almost, if not it's back to Rooney or Fellaini up top & that's not a good position to be in. We're lucky in that we can rest our young talent whereas United are reliant upon theirs.

Would be interested to see how he fared on the right wing, doing Navas' job & seeing if he manages to put in a better cross or be more decisive - because it's easy to see we play better when Navas comes on, but that's not for his end product, that's for his positioning & work rate, if Sterling could do that along with a better end product maybe that is an option for him.

For now though Navas has probably earned the right to start ahead of him for me, might see them rotated more in who starts over the next few matches post-international break.

I think pellegrini should try out sterling as a second striker in the 4-4-2 formation against sides that park the bus.. He looked really good in that position against watford.. Silva and de Bruyne just behind them..

Time for a few games on the bench with Navas right and KDB left, and coming off the bench to make an impact.

I'd like to see him tried on the right, he likes to move onto his right foot but when he does it at the minute he's just drifting into the centre which is far too congested.

Give him the task of just getting down the right wing and pulling the ball back from the byline into the box, sounds simple but Navas struggles to do it.

He doesn't look at our level at the moment. Had a decent first few games but he's being closed down quickly now rather than being sat off and he's being shown up a bit. Passing is rarely to where the player needs it, it's often just behind them or right to their feet rather than being more forward thinking and putting it where the player actually wants it played. And for some reason he looks scared to take on his player on (has he been training one-on-one with Navas?! haha).

I just don't see what Sterling offers...wasn't in the least bit excited by him signing in the summer and am even less so now.
Remove his pace and what has he got? Poor passing and can't finish. Yes he's only young, but can't see him ever being a world beater. We bought him off the back of 1 good season when Liverpool were flying...mainly due to Suarez.

He isn't technical enough to play the role he's currently playing. Short passing, ball retention and creativity isn't his game and nor should it be.

We need to stop using him like that because frankly, he's not as good as KDB, Silva and Nasri in that role.

The problem is, defences sit so deep against us that there isn't much space in behind to play his natural game and use his pace.

That isn't going to change anytime soon so he really needs to improve the technical side of his game or he's in trouble.

I'd like to see him move about more, become a 2nd striker when Kun moves wide or deep and look for the ball in behind. He isn't doing that and it's his best chance of playing his game.

Have to agree with this, it was really evident first half against newcastle.

What about alterning the formation slightly that allows his to play a little deeper - allowing him more space to cause damage to the opposition with this pace.

Cant help but feel he is being quite wasted at the moment because of the areas of his game that arnt up to the levels of some of his teammates.

He was playing a Nasri role and it was frustrating at times. One instance when in first half down in front of 107 when Newcastle lost the ball and Silva picked it up turned in acres, and Sterling should of been on his toes at the full back and Silva would of played him in behind all day long but instead he stopping his runs coming short for the pass. I'm sure the reading of what Silva and Co will do will come to Raheem in time.

I think it hasn't sunk in him yet .He might be still star struck with all the new surroundings .
I don't buy his age excuse but in modern football the cut off age is by 20 to show if the player can cut it or not. Sterling got huge potential and he has what it takes to be in elite club. Give him some time ,he will come good.

To be fair, not only does sterling not know what to expect from silva & co, but they don't realize what he has to offer either. He makes half a dozen runs behind the defense when he drifts to the middle of the pitch and neither aguero or silva ever feed him the ball to run onto. I still feel he is playing like someone is telling him what he can and can't do (i.e. pellers). I'd like to see him drift more, like silva and kdb do. Get him making runs all across the defense rather than just on the right back. Should create more space for silva & co as well. I know fuck all tho. Just my 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.