Player Topic: Wilfried Bony (2015/16)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're absolutely right, Father Paul. It's late enough that we can speculate from what we've seen, but's it's too early to make a fair judgement. I thought that this run of games has been the first, decent bit of data to collect on the big man, to be honest and it's not even much.

From what I've seen though:

His strengths could be a major boon for us if we adapt our play style slightly when he's on the pitch (speaking in terms of a lone striker in our best system.) He's seems better when he receives the ball early and is more involved in the play, which would take a little focus off our Number 10 but I'm sure Silva can handle that, having been marooned on the flank for most of his Bluemoon tenure. His touch is world class (a rather stark contrast to my much-beloved Dzeko) and he brings a considerable advantage to our set pieces - especially defensively - as he is not only big and strong but gets his head to the ball. He's proven he can finish elsewhere, so I have faith that he will settle into a nice conversion rate at some point.

Every now and then I see him do something that no one else in our team does or can do, like a ridiculously good piece of control or a strong long shot without shaping up. The most memorable example would be that headed goal from the corner where he managed to gain more power than physics would ordinarily allow (haha.) He brings his own character to our squad, and one thing I've always loved about our squad as opposed to someone like Arsenal's is that we have a variety of players with diferrent attributes. Wilfried Bony definitely brings this.

I'm not 100% sure he has everything we need help us get to where we want to be, quality wise, but I don't think this can be judged just yet. As Father Paul has stated, the start-stop beginning of his City career has made it impossible to judge

He was the top goal scorer in the Premier league over the calendar year.

Yeah sorry, i meant conversion rate. This was taken February 2014 when he was still at Swansea.

conv.png

We stopped winning and scoring goals when he got injured. Gets a lot of stick but he offers a lot with his hold up play and he makes Hart's distribution look a lot better.

One thing Bony has is at least he doesn't 'turtle neck' it when going up to head a goal kick. Unlike Dzeko. The more I see of him the more I feel it's not going to work out for him here. Shame though, but somethings just not clicking with him. Hope im wrong.

We stopped winning and scoring goals when he got injured. Gets a lot of stick but he offers a lot with his hold up play and he makes Hart's distribution look a lot better.

His performances weren't top quality, but he was giving us a focal point, shame about his injuries as they've derailed him from really showing us all what he can do.

his ability to hold up and act as a definitive spearhead to the team were sorely sorely missed in Turin on Wednesday.

The way we sort of went forward aimlessly and farted around reminded me of a tattered old windsock in a mild breeze in a forgotten old airfield.

One thing Bony has is at least he doesn't 'turtle neck' it when going up to head a goal kick. Unlike Dzeko. The more I see of him the more I feel it's not going to work out for him here. Shame though, but somethings just not clicking with him. Hope im wrong.

My feeling as well. But - new manager, new system and a refreshed squad next season. He is still the beast of a striker he was at Swansea underneath it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.