Players wanting to be known by their first names or by just one name

Yes, how annoyingly vague for someone to go by "Alexis" and not "Sanchez" in a spanish speaking country like Chile.

Which is the reason, believe it or not, that most people in the world have more than one name.

Perhaps commentators should start referring to 'Phil's when the nation's number one burner gets the ball, given that it is less common than Jones and listeners might otherwise be so confused that they think The Crazy Gang have made a comeback

Which is the reason, believe it or not, that most people in the world have more than one name.

Perhaps commentators should start referring to 'Phil's when the nation's number one burner gets the ball, given that it is less common than Jones and listeners might otherwise be so confused that they think The Crazy Gang have made a comeback

Which is great, except when you've got 22 players running around and half with "Sanchez" on the back.

There's 68 Sanchez's in the FIFA video game, for example, and that's just the ones good enough to make it to the top divisions in Europe.

I have lots of clients from Brazil and Venezuela (pilots and oil and gas engineers), the name(s) they go by have virtually no resemblance to what is on their passport. (I have one client called Jimmy Sanchez (on his work ID) who doesn't have Jim, Jimmy, James nor Sanchez on his passport ID - it's a bugger for the anti-money laundering checks).

I can't give a reason for this, I just know it's strange and not at all limited to football.

Well, fair enough, my cultural appreciation of South America might not be particularly nuanced.

However, I think it is still fair to say that the single name footballer who plays in Europe - outside of Brazilians - (including players that previously were known by a surname until they hit a certain level of fame) is a growing phenomenon and something that previous generations - and in some cases, much better footballers - seemed mostly able to do without.

There is definitely a branding/ego/hipsterism element to its rise in European football

Well, fair enough, my cultural appreciation of South America might not be particularly nuanced.

However, I think it is still fair to say that the single name footballer who plays in Europe - outside of Brazilians - (including players that previously were known by a surname until they hit a certain level of fame) is a growing phenomenon and something that previous generations - and in some cases, much better footballers - seemed mostly able to do without.

There is definitely a branding/ego/hipsterism element to its rise in European football

Outside South America, where it's a cultural thing born of a collective lack of surname diversity, I can't think of many players at all that do it. Memphis Depay is one, but that's for some weird refusal to acknowledge his father.

I agree.

Outside South America, where it's a cultural thing born of a collective lack of surname diversity, I can't think of many players at all that do it. Memphis Depay is one, but that's for some weird refusal to acknowledge his father.
He's a ****. Shit **** as well.

Which is great, except when you've got 22 players running around and half with "Sanchez" on the back.

There's 68 Sanchez's in the FIFA video game, for example, and that's just the ones good enough to make it to the top divisions in Europe.

Which means that instances of more than 2 on the same pitch is going to be very rare.

Were you constantly confused when Yaya and Kolo Toure were regularly playing in the same team for City? Or did the fact that the commentators said 'Yaya Toure' and 'Kolo Toure' help you out?

When Phil and Gary Neville were playing for United would you have had commentators and pundits refer to them as 'Phil' and 'Gary' like some sort of Brazilian masters and not some cloggers from Bury?

I think we all managed, didn't we?

Which means that instances of more than 2 on the same pitch is going to be very rare.

Were you constantly confused when Yaya and Kolo Toure were regularly playing in the same team for City? Or did the fact that the commentators said 'Yaya Toure' and 'Kolo Toure' help you out?

When Phil and Gary Neville were playing for United would you have had commentators and pundits refer to them as 'Phil' and 'Gary' like some sort of Brazilian masters and not some cloggers from Bury?

I think we all managed, didn't we?

No because Yaya has "Yaya Touré" on his shirt, which sort of ruins your example.

And the Nevilles had their first names on there as well IIRC.

So you're angry rant is basically over people having "Alexis" vs. "Alexis Sanchez", it's possibly one of the most petty annoyances I've ever seen turned into a thread on here.

No because Yaya has "Yaya Touré" on his shirt, which sort of ruins your example.

And the Nevilles had their first names on there as well IIRC.

So you're angry rant is basically over people having "Alexis" vs. "Alexis Sanchez", it's possibly one of the most petty annoyances I've ever seen turned into a thread on here.

That's a complement to me, mate.

People and commentators did not refer to merely 'Gary' and 'Phil', as well you know.

Because that would be laughable.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.