Players wanting to be known by their first names or by just one name

Fred was the best.

Fred Neville? He was shit!

Neville Neville is the closest a UK national has come to this and even he had to give himself the same name twice instead if a single name. He was also shite at football and a bit odd.

That's a complement to me, mate.

People and commentators did not refer to merely 'Gary' and 'Phil', as well you know.

Because that would be laughable.

And commentators don't refer to Sanchez as just Alexis. Not on british tv.

Fred Neville? He was shit!

Neville Neville is the closest a UK national has come to this and even he had to give himself the same name twice instead if a single name. He was also shite at football and a bit odd.
He still posts on here and hasn't changed.

And commentators don't refer to Sanchez as just Alexis. Not on british tv.

We are getting close to my point here.

So, it is ridiculous and hipsterism for British fans to do it. And it is laughable for players to decide, after reaching a certain level of fame in Europe, that they now are important enough to stop being known by their surname (as they previously had been in Europe) and now need to be known by one banal and generic first name only.

marketing. it's easier to market cristiano than ronaldo when there was another huge footballer with same surname. same for james. rodriguez sounds so generic but james when it's read on spanish way is pretty good to market.

Personally I think people can be called whatever the fuck they want and we all need to calm down.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.