Players who are possibly leaving in the summer

Cannot see Mangala returning. Its a fundamental of any Central defender (actually any player) in Pep's teams to be good on the ball and unless he's gone through some incredible metamorphis then he just doesn't have those skills, or at least has never demonstrated them. We have Kompany, Stones, Otamendi and Kolarov as cover and we wait to see if Toisin will be kept on or loaned out. Should be enough.
Regardless of mangala coming back into the squad (realistically he probably won't) what have you seen this season that leads you to believe that what we have at centre back is good enough? As soon as you take kompany out of that list it looks a disaster to me and we surely can't have that situation with his recent injury record? Unless of course you see kolarov, stones and otamendi being able to take us on a title challenge. Personally I think those three are borderline terrible without Vinnie sorting them out.

Regardless of mangala coming back into the squad (realistically he probably won't) what have you seen this season that leads you to believe that what we have at centre back is good enough? As soon as you take kompany out of that list it looks a disaster to me and we surely can't have that situation with his recent injury record? Unless of course you see kolarov, stones and otamendi being able to take us on a title challenge. Personally I think those three are borderline terrible without Vinnie sorting them out.

Well don't completely disagree with what you're saying just that I think there are mitigating circumstances for the centre backs, and of course its just my opinion but firstly I'd say that because of how weak we have been at full back that this has created added problems for the centre-backs in lots of areas, positional play, covering etc. It was noticeable that the defence as a whole looked better when Vinnie returned yes, but Fernandinho at RB made a huge difference too.
Secondly I think Stones will get better, he had some dodgy moments but he is evolving in a position where he won't be expected to reach his peak for another 5 years. I also think the goalkeeping situation makes a big difference. An element of panic amongst the back line for a lot of the season when Bravo was playing, more assured with Willy.
In other words in my view its not just about Kompany, and therefore I believe that as a group the centre-backs will be much stronger and consistent next season.

Well don't completely disagree with what you're saying just that I think there are mitigating circumstances for the centre backs, and of course its just my opinion but firstly I'd say that because of how weak we have been at full back that this has created added problems for the centre-backs in lots of areas, positional play, covering etc. It was noticeable that the defence as a whole looked better when Vinnie returned yes, but Fernandinho at RB made a huge difference too.
Secondly I think Stones will get better, he had some dodgy moments but he is evolving in a position where he won't be expected to reach his peak for another 5 years. I also think the goalkeeping situation makes a big difference. An element of panic amongst the back line for a lot of the season when Bravo was playing, more assured with Willy.
In other words in my view its not just about Kompany, and therefore I believe that as a group the centre-backs will be much stronger and consistent next season.
Sadly I think there's a fair chance bravo will still be number one next season. Other things might help the centre backs a bit but I still think looking at last season we have to work on the principle that if we are left with stones and otamendi as our centre back partnership for a fair amount of the season then it's going to be a problem. For me it'd be madness to be spending hundreds of millions in other areas and leave ourselves relatively exposed in the centre of defence. Mind you he doesn't seem to mind spending a fortune on outfield players but having a bang average keeper undermining the whole thing so who knows?

We have a lot of players to offload, just saw that story on Ntcham, had forgotten about him altogether.

DB42Y9yXUAIILtx.jpg:small

Manchester City have presented their list of free transfers to the Premier League, including youngsters Ellis Plummer and Callum Bullock.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.