Players who should have changed clubs

Same might be said for Gascoigne, if he had moved to a club whose ambitions matched his ability then his life may have been different. Dare I say it he should have gone to United when Fergie wanted him.

That would have been a disaster for him. This "Fergie would have sorted him out" is total nonsense from United and Ferguson sycophants in the media, choosing to totally ignore or being ignorant of the club at the time, and how different the culture was.

That would have been a disaster for him. This "Fergie would have sorted him out" is total nonsense from United and Ferguson sycophants in the media, choosing to totally ignore or being ignorant of the club at the time, and how different the culture was.
Indeed, I'm not sure Paul McGrath and Bryan Robson would have been the best influences. Amongst his many afflictions Gazza has a serious addiction problem and no manager could 'sort' that. Busby couldn't have done more with Best just as Ferguson couldn't have done anything for Gazza.

Walcott - Not sayin he's a world beater but I don't think he's come on at all under Wenger. Think he's been there 6/7 years and Wenger still doesn't know if he's a striker or a winger.
Oxlade-Chamberlain - Similar situation to Walcott, just a couple of years behind.
Mikel - Been at Chelsea for nearly 10yrs, played a bit this season, but before that he's hardly featured for about 5yrs.

Indeed, I'm not sure Paul McGrath and Bryan Robson would have been the best influences. Amongst his many afflictions Gazza has a serious addiction problem and no manager could 'sort' that. Busby couldn't have done more with Best just as Ferguson couldn't have done anything for Gazza.

United had one of the biggest drinking cultures in English football in the late 80s/early90s, you also had Bruce, and Whiteside as known drinkers. Who would have been worse, those players, or that serial party goer Lineker, on Gascoigne? Clubs at the time were pretty much nearly all English/British players, there weren't many foreign players or managers, and drinking wasn't frowned upon at all, it was the norm. The attitudes towards alcohol, and mental health and depression in football were completely different back then.

To be fair Gerrard was still a world class player like Shearer.

I'm on about players who could have been capable of so much more but wasted their talent.

Gerrard never reached world class levels but cetainly had the potential. He wasted his years at Liverpool and should have moved abroad to improve his tactical awareness and technique.

For me he'll always be a very good player who mastered the art of running around alot and be able to kick a ball very very hard....oh and slipping over :-)

walcott is the classic modern example and oxlade-chaberlain doesn't look too far behind.

i agree with gerrard though, he should have left liverpool after 05 and gone on to win far more than he should have.

loyalty as a player unless you are at a consistently successful club is overrated in my opinion.

you can stay loyal forever as a fan, but as a footballer you are lucky if you have ten years at the very top so go on and win as much as possible.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.