plusnet Broadband any good

I've edited the title as I'm about to sign up with Plusnet
Anyone already with them? Good, bad, indifferent?

Ok girls, I'm with BT (yes I know) and my deal with them has expired

Unlimited Infinity 2 broadband, guaranteed 50 mg ps, and I achieve 53
It should be 63-80, but internet connection is terrible down here in darkest Cheshire
Line rental
Evening and weekend calls
Friends and family abroad calls
BT Sport and TV starter pack

They're telling me £51 is best price
I think they're taking the piss

Which company should I be looking at?

Plusnet is a subsid of Bt

The WiFi is shite

When you try and cancel it is impossible. They say they won’t communicate by email (as it may get lost) , the customer service is utter wank,

Only by cancelling my direct debit and commenting on social media how difficult it it by phone email or internet to communicate with them was I able to cancel.

I now have returned to sky fibre, it’s infinitely better than plus net.

I'm still going to go with them I think. I've managed to beat BT up on the price and get them down to £41/m, but that's still £11/m more than Plusnet for the same service. (OK, so maybe I don't get BT Cloud and McAfee and other stuff with Plusnet, but I don't need any of that stuff anyway.)

EDIT (again)!

Just read some more reviews and am definitely having a wobble. They get terrible reviews on Trustpilot, absolutely terrible.

This has been quite a wakeup call for me, since I had always previously seen good reviews for Plusnet. I am really unsure now, but my BT £41/m deal comes to an end soon, so will need to either beat BT up again or switch to someone else.

I can't get them to below £50.59
Infinity 1 Broadband
Evening & weekend calls
Friend & family abroad
Sport

They're not letting me have £29.99 broadband as that is exclusively for new customers, so are telling me that they've done £12.50 off Infinity (so £37.49) and sport at half price to retain me

If you read all reviews you'll never buy anything. I was with Plusnet years and never had any problem, in fact they were good. Only moved to BT to get free BT Sport but soon fucked that off when they treated City like shit in CL coverage and still don't have it to this day. Enjoy telling them what when they ring me but they haven't for a while.

If you get BT and broadband for £41pcm that's not bad by the way.

To be clear, my £41 doesn't include BT Sport. I binned that a year or so ago when I called them to get the bill reduced.

Rather unfortunately, they were insistent on my signing a 2 year contract when they offered the £41 deal, but I refused, not wanting to be locked in for that long. Eventually they caved in and gave it me for 1 year. In hindsight perhaps I should have stuck with the 2 years and now I wouldn't have been fishing about for a replacement. The £41 was fixed price too - there's been price increases since which haven't applied to me.

There's an exception to every rule, but as a rule, Plusnet are VASTLY more highly regarded than Virgin. Buyer beware.

EDIT: Checking just now on Broadband.co.uk, I see there's some pretty crap reviews for both companies, and arguably Plusnet's are worse!??! That surprises me greatly since they have always been highly regarded.

So don't know what to think now!
I'm sure all these companies have their downsides.

Virgin install their own lines. With PlusNet, they have to use OpenReach's lines. They're a subsidiary of BT etc... I just always found there were issues where 'it was nothing to do with them' or 'we'd have to contact OpenReach' (which never happened). Recently my internet has been better, most of my problems were teething issues and were sorted out within 3 months - but 3 months of incredibly poor internet is really frustrating, more so when you're paying as if it's working fine.

I'm starting to think perhaps beating BT up on price again might be the best (or at least the least hassle) option. The service level from BT is excellent, I have to say. I get 71 Mbit/s download speeds on Speedtest (which is good for my line length) and this is backed up by actual download speeds or around 8 MBytes/second in real use, 24x7. I never see any slowdowns. I believe they throttle torrents but I only torrent through VPN and have never seen any slow down there either.

IdNet are supposed to be very good for speed, low latency etc (as well as customer service etc) and the price isn't bad. But reading their blurb they go on about contention at peak times and slow downs and if you want to minimise that, you have to lob them an extra £10/m! Sounds to me like poor speeds are going to be very likely unless you do give them the +£10! And then they are £50+ per month so why bother switching.

I'm starting to think perhaps beating BT up on price again might be the best (or at least the least hassle) option. The service level from BT is excellent, I have to say. I get 71 Mbit/s download speeds on Speedtest (which is good for my line length) and this is backed up by actual download speeds or around 8 MBytes/second in real use, 24x7. I never see any slowdowns. I believe they throttle torrents but I only torrent through VPN and have never seen any slow down there either.

IdNet are supposed to be very good for speed, low latency etc (as well as customer service etc) and the price isn't bad. But reading their blurb they go on about contention at peak times and slow downs and if you want to minimise that, you have to lob them an extra £10/m! Sounds to me like poor speeds are going to be very likely unless you do give them the +£10! And then they are £50+ per month so why bother switching.

I'm really considering NOW TV super fibre broadband
You have to take one of their entertainment packages, so with sky cinema it comes in at £45 pcm. I get £100 back from Quidco and I'll get my daughter to cancel her Netflix

As @manchester blue has said, if you went off every review you'd never buy anything.
BT's reviews are awful and I had all sorts of issues in my first month with them

I'm still going to go with them I think. I've managed to beat BT up on the price and get them down to £41/m, but that's still £11/m more than Plusnet for the same service. (OK, so maybe I don't get BT Cloud and McAfee and other stuff with Plusnet, but I don't need any of that stuff anyway.)

EDIT (again)!

Just read some more reviews and am definitely having a wobble. They get terrible reviews on Trustpilot, absolutely terrible.

This has been quite a wakeup call for me, since I had always previously seen good reviews for Plusnet. I am really unsure now, but my BT £41/m deal comes to an end soon, so will need to either beat BT up again or switch to someone else.

To be clear, my £41 doesn't include BT Sport. I binned that a year or so ago when I called them to get the bill reduced.

Rather unfortunately, they were insistent on my signing a 2 year contract when they offered the £41 deal, but I refused, not wanting to be locked in for that long. Eventually they caved in and gave it me for 1 year. In hindsight perhaps I should have stuck with the 2 years and now I wouldn't have been fishing about for a replacement. The £41 was fixed price too - there's been price increases since which haven't applied to me.

I've just beat up BT and retained my package. Twenty four months - £44.84
They started at £62, then to £53, then he spoke to his manager
I threatened them with a NOW TV move

So I have for my £44.84
It should be 63-80, but internet connection is terrible down here in darkest Cheshire
Line rental

Sport is discounted to £2 per month for 12 months, then it reverts to full price £3.50

I've just beat up BT and retained my package. Twenty four months - £44.84
They started at £62, then to £53, then he spoke to his manager
I threatened them with a NOW TV move

So I have for my £44.84
Line rental

Sport is discounted to £2 per month for 12 months, then it reverts to full price £3.50
Good info, thanks. To be clear, is the £44.84 including the £2 BT Sport?

I think I'm going to beat them up likewise and not accept anything different. Hence wanting to know exactly what you got.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.