Pogba or De Bruyne? (Historical)

We need the long term Yaya replacement to be a passer who dictates the play.

Kroos would be a long term Yaya replacement. Even Pjanic could be. Our own Pirlo, Xavi, Alonso - pulling the strings.

Pogba is box to box, a dribbler but he isn't a playmaker.

There are no "string pullers" at 21 - very few anyway. That's something players grow into, and PP has all the attributes to do it. His passing range is great, but at the moment he's a bit like a puppy runs around the midfield doing what he wants. I think he'll grow into a player who will control midfields.

There are no "string pullers" at 21 - very few anyway. That's something players grow into, and PP has all the attributes to do it. His passing range is great, but at the moment he's a bit like a puppy runs around the midfield doing what he wants. I think he'll grow into a player who will control midfields.
I don't think he has the discipline or the vision. I see Pogba more as an individual than a creator. A Zidane, Cantona type. People underestimate how much he benefitted from having Vidal and Marchisio beside him. A level of cover with a work rate he won't get here.

We need the long term Yaya replacement to be a passer who dictates the play.

Kroos would be a long term Yaya replacement. Even Pjanic could be. Our own Pirlo, Xavi, Alonso - pulling the strings.

Pogba is box to box, a dribbler but he isn't a playmaker.
Maybe Garcia may be that man and he wont cost us a penny.

At the moment I think we are in a really weird place.

The 433 we have used in preseason looks great. Silva aguero Sterling up front will wreak havoc, and the 3 man midfield negates Yaya's defensive liabilities. Having Delph and Fernandinho next to him will be a very effective midfield, even if Delph is not the star player that pogba is. Fernando also looks like the player we were supposed to be getting in this formation as well.

However if we buy De Bruyne, great player that he definitely is, I can't see how it doesn't unbalance the squad.

To accommodate everyone we have to switch back to 4231 with Yaya and Fernandinho in midfield once again and all of the defensive frailties that cost us last year reemerge.

Some people are suggesting silva play in midfield in the 433 but that doesn't change anything, he isn't going to drastically change his game and start providing cover for Yaya when he goes forward in the way that we've seen The third midfielder do so far in preseason. That selection is still effectively a 4231.

I absolutely love De Bruyne, but his signing makes no sense unless we also sign a central midfield player, like Pogba, who we could get away with playing in a midfield 2 next to Fernandinho.

Silva isn't the problem in the 433. Silva has an excellent work rate and can pass and move on the level of Barcelona's midfield, which is clearly the model Txiki, and by extension Pelle, want to follow. If it weren't for his recurring battles with foot injury, Silva could slot right into Barcelona's midfield, replacing Iniesta. A hard working midfield trio is the most important part in a 433, and that's where Yaya falls short. Whether he can or can't track back and defend isn't at issue. All that matters is he won't. We've seen that time and again. If we did get Pogba and De Bruyne, our best option is to play Yaya as an impact player off the bench, not in the starting XI (barring injury). I would put faith in a midfield trio of Silva, Fernandinho, and Pogba and play De Bruyne as part of the attacking triumvirate with Sterling and of course Aguero. Yaya would be an excellent impact sub off the bench, and would be important to rotate in to keep the squad fit, but the transition to 433, Yaya's age and declining fitness, and, most crucially, Yaya's lack of work rate when he's not going forward are all reasons to phase him out. Even if Pogba doesn't sign, it might be worth putting faith in Fernando, who has shown improvement, and gradually transition him to starter in a midfield trio of Silva, Fernando, and Fernandinho. Fernando's style of play suits a 433 more than 4231 anyway.

And of course this is assuming Silva remains fit throughout the season, which I don't see happening.

Silva isn't the problem in the 433. Silva has an excellent work rate and can pass and move on the level of Barcelona's midfield, which is clearly the model Txiki, and by extension Pelle, want to follow. If it weren't for his recurring battles with foot injury, Silva could slot right into Barcelona's midfield, replacing Iniesta. A hard working midfield trio is the most important part in a 433, and that's where Yaya falls short. Whether he can or can't track back and defend isn't at issue. All that matters is he won't. We've seen that time and again. If we did get Pogba and De Bruyne, our best option is to play Yaya as an impact player off the bench, not in the starting XI (barring injury). I would put faith in a midfield trio of Silva, Fernandinho, and Pogba and play De Bruyne as part of the attacking triumvirate with Sterling and of course Aguero. Yaya would be an excellent impact sub off the bench, and would be important to rotate in to keep the squad fit, but the transition to 433, Yaya's age and declining fitness, and, most crucially, Yaya's lack of work rate when he's not going forward are all reasons to phase him out. Even if Pogba doesn't sign, it might be worth putting faith in Fernando, who has shown improvement, and gradually transition him to starter in a midfield trio of Silva, Fernando, and Fernandinho. Fernando's style of play suits a 433 more than 4231 anyway.

And of course this is assuming Silva remains fit throughout the season, which I don't see happening.

Hold the press! Someone talking sense. Good post. I wonder how yaya and would react if we started using him as an impact sub!!

Hold the press! Someone talking sense. Good post. I wonder how yaya and would react if we started using him as an impact sub!!

Em...not very well I would guess but that's the difference between playing FIFA 15 and football with human beings.

YaYa ain't here to be an impact sub. If KDB arrives , he goes into the front 3 with Sterling and Kun. The midfield 3 will then be YaYa, Merlin and Delph (Pogba/Ferns) as the defensive base.

YaYa was back to his best against Melborne with Garcia alongside him and Fernando 10m behind him. Is this formation the future?

Em...not very well I would guess but that's the difference between playing FIFA 15 and football with human beings.

YaYa ain't here to be an impact sub. If KDB arrives , he goes into the front 3 with Sterling and Kun. The midfield 3 will then be YaYa, Merlin and Delph (Pogba/Ferns) as the defensive base.

YaYa was back to his best against Melborne with Garcia alongside him and Fernando 10m behind him. Is this formation the future?

Oh I do apologise. You're obviously far more qualified in this area than me. Pardon me for breathing. This is a place to air different opinions. I suggest you deal with it old fruit.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.