Points of Blue Meeting

I think another key point of football now, is that the grounds aren't big enough, people are obsessed with the grounds looking full, yet it looks like people are always missing out on tickets, well maybe it's time football clubs in general too started extending their stadiums , so what if some seats are empty at some matches , they will be full for the big games !
This is the crucial point. The away allocations are just too small. We should get at least 10 per cent and there should be a minimum capacity for PL stadia. As one of the almost Saga brigade (I am in denial) I went to West Brom and it was sad to see how few youngsters there were. But the real disgrace was the 4,000 plus unsold seats in the Home sections. It was the same last season. Personally I would also support some sort of scheme which guaranteed a set number of tickets for under 21s at away matches though it would probably impact on me. It is vital for City's future success that we encourage the next generation of match-going fans.

We got less points in those days, the last away at Stockport got 10, away at Walsall got none, and Bolton and Blackburn went down the season after they put the points up with Wigan lasting 2 both on Monday nights.

When it was ten points a game is was not easier, especially if we had an 1100 allocation for a 5.15 kick off at Pompey. £40 away at Birmingham in 2004 on a Tuesday night for 10 points and once chance all game, 1-0 Heskey, City lost about 40k as they took too big an allocation, points well earned.

Most aways for !ong enough either didnt sell out, or were a reduced allocation due to lack of Interest

All true, but as long as the game gets played in a stadium, and particularly one in the none too rich surrounds of East Manchester, they need to pay some sort of heed to the rank and file whose affinity for the club goes beyond novelty or a desire to associate themselves with a successful brand. At the moment I think the club is falling some way short of that. Agree of course about the next generation. As you will be aware the eldest boy has had a season ticket since he was 7, and he’s 22 next week. For his trouble he has a paltry 11000 points and absolutely no chance of getting an away ticket other than via the same sources I use. He’s managed 3 this season, with a 4th lined up......and he’s better off than most. I did note at West Brom a couple of weeks ago that the demographic of City’s away following increasingly resembles a Saga holiday
Morning JB. Discount for over 60s means us old codgers saved £2 a ticket at West Brom. Also saved a tenner at Huddersfield, and it's only £22-50 at Swansea.
Old git discount is 65+ at other clubs though.

The irony's not lost on me at all, but I don't intend to castigate those at the top of the points chain for doing what they do. That'd be like blaming the dog for stealing the sausages after you've starved him for a week and then left the fridge door open. The club is almost entirely responsible for the current farce (albeit that the £30 away ticket cap and City playing beautiful football have played their part). In siphoning off the amount of tickets that they clearly do, they are piling untold pressure on the system that remains. Those at the top of the points chain get mithered by mates (like me) who used to qualify in their own right, but have now been squeezed out, and they feel obligated to help them......which as you say widens the gap between them and you, even though you're the one actually attending often as not.

It also has an adverse effect on the OSC's as well. I've been paying my dues to the London Branch, the largest in the country outside of Manchester, for 25 years, but the allocations we now get are risible more often than not. We received the grand total of 2 tickets for Huddersfield, and that in itself creates problems as you have members getting increasingly disgruntled at never getting a ticket for games and who have started setting up their own fringe branches instead (West Bucks Blues, North Downs & Weald Blues, that sort of thing - NB: I made those names up by the way) with barely a dozen members and the aim of that new branch then getting an allocation of some description, however miniscule......which of course inevitably comes at the expense of those in the parent branches, who were (rightly) above them in the pecking order. Personally I can see a time in the not too distant future when the OSC's outside of Manchester start to fold, because going to matches is a fundamental part of the glue that holds them together.

I understand that the club needs to flog City as a global brand. You have to strike while the iron's hot in that regard, and we are never going to be hotter than when we're gunning for the title with Pep Guardiola in charge. Once you have those new 'fans' on the hook in their hundreds of thousands then you can take your foot off the pedal a bit and coast. After all the dippers have won fuck all of note (bar that 'famous night in Istanbul') for nearly 30 years, yet they are still arguably the best supported team in Asia and certainly on the sub-continent. What was it Goebbels said? 'Give me a child and he'll be mine for life'. Something like that. So by all means give the odd tour group or chosen sponsor a small allocation, just not in the numbers we are currently seeing (and particularly not for away games in London, when half the fucking allocation seems to go to agencies and honoured guests, who couldn't point to Edgeley Park or Sixfields or any of the rest of the shit holes we all used to go to, on a map). Better yet, give them home tickets. There's nearly always clear gaps in the Family Stand for starters, unless we've got the rags or the dippers in town. What I do believe is that treating your customers with contempt, which is what the club is doing currently, is never a good idea in the long term.
Spot on. I have had to rely on people on here with spares to get to Leicester with my daughter - neither of us will have the points on out tickets so we are in the same boat. Until the club stop siphoning off tickets for their own purpose this problem will always exist. Give the corporates firsts dibs on Swansea away on a school night a week before Xmas or Palace on NYE when you can't get a train from Manchester on the day in time for the KO.

We got less points in those days, the last away at Stockport got 10, away at Walsall got none, and Bolton and Blackburn went down the season after they put the points up with Wigan lasting 2 both on Monday nights.

When it was ten points a game is was not easier, especially if we had an 1100 allocation for a 5.15 kick off at Pompey. £40 away at Birmingham in 2004 on a Tuesday night for 10 points and once chance all game, 1-0 Heskey, City lost about 40k as they took too big an allocation, points well earned.

Points were well earned as you said. However some did get a head start when we moved grounds. I had to give my ticket up for the last few seasons so no head start for me

Spot on. I have had to rely on people on here with spares to get to Leicester with my daughter - neither of us will have the points on out tickets so we are in the same boat. Until the club stop siphoning off tickets for their own purpose this problem will always exist. Give the corporates firsts dibs on Swansea away on a school night a week before Xmas or Palace on NYE when you can't get a train from Manchester on the day in time for the KO.

that will sell

this old codger got a ticket for west brom and getting one for swansea and travel on a senior rail card
cant get one for huddersfield anyone out there cant go coz its pension day
ticket most welcome

and yes there was a lack of youngsters at west brom my grandson excluded

Don't think anyone's published these but here's the points put to the club at the latest PoB meeting and their response.

POINTS OF BLUE MEETING, MONDAY 13 NOVEMBER 2017
SECURITY CHECKS/QUEUES

Q1. Adding extra stewards for searches had certainly made things much better; why had it taken so long to address
this? Some areas (M2 as example) were still taking too long.

A1. It is important that consideration is given to all aspects of the operation prior to making any changes.
Modifications were made to improve the operation and it was following an extensive review of all available
data and considering the operation as whole, that we implemented the wider access improvements.

Q2. Early on at the stadium admission was only at one turnstile, soon changed to allow access via any turnstile
serving the part of the ground where the seat was. Why has this been reversed? (It’s hard to see what security
issues there might be.) This is exacerbated by making access more difficult to the East Stand with stopping
home fans going across the away car park before the match; this is a five-minute extra walk for those with
good mobility and seems more a case of doing it because it can be done rather than any serious security issue.

A2. Access to the stadium has never been via any turnstile. The change from allowing access via two entrances to
one has been shown to improve efficiency and ensures that supporters are entering the stadium as close to
their block as possible. This was implemented after extensive review of the data which showed that the
majority of supporters were using their primary turnstile to enter the stadium.

Q3. Entertainment in City Square till a few minutes before kick-off seems at odds with asking people to get in early.
Could concourse TVs show earlier TV (with volume) or other better entertainment?

A3. City Square closes 20-minutes prior to kick-off with a band performance the last bit of content which begins at
25-mins before KO. For high profile matches, this is adjusted to allow more time. We believe this is sufficient
time for a supporter, with no bag and undertaking the standard security checks, to enter the stadium in time
for kick-off. We continually look at ways to improve the matchday experience and will share the above with
our Events Team.

Q4. Is there any logic to the limit on bag size? (Limit was bigger than City bags sold in the club shop.) Is there a bag
storage facility, or is it possible to have a separate bag check (as at Arsenal where bags are inspected and
tagged, reducing delays at the turnstile)?

A4. The size was determined due to research across a number of venues, within the UK and overseas. We are aware
that the advised size is smaller than those sold in the City Store and have consulted with our retail partner to
ensure that they provide suitable advice as to the size of bags that will be allowed in to the stadium
At each set of turnstiles, there is a table for bag searches. Supporters can join any queue and those with a bag
will be asked to go to the search area. Research has shown that the queuing time is not impacted or slowed by
allowing supporters to join any queue.

LEAVING EARLY
Q5. Various factors were involved – getting away before the end could make a huge difference in journey times
home (driving and on the tram). There was also some concern about how long it could take to exit – particularly
from South Stand upper tier, even though it presumably meets fire / licensing regulations.

A5. The Etihad Stadium is fully compliant with all regulations. The Club is in continued dialogue with all travel
partners to ensure the best service can be provided both before and after the match.

Q6. What are the issues affecting capacity on Metrolink? Availability of stock or crew, electricity supply? Can these
be addressed? Recent instance where not even every six minutes (before and after the game) was maintained.
Is there a technical reason why one tram cannot be waiting immediately behind one in the platform (after the
game)?

A6. A standard matchday plan is a 6-minute frequency service, with additional duplicate trips added to support
matchday egress, where possible. There is a physical limit to the number of trams that can be run at any one
time on any section of route. This is due to the limit on the overhead power on the system.

Q7. Road management – are any major junctions near the ground capable of better management, e.g. Oldham
Road / Alan Turing Way – could lights after the game be phased to allow more time for traffic leaving the
ground?

A7. We currently work very closely with Urban Traffic Control and pay for an operative to work in their control
room on matchdays to assist with the light sequencing and subsequent traffic flow. We have commenced a
piece of work to look at the future of parking at the Campus and one of the early outcomes is a need to look at
phasing of lights/control of junctions. It’s too early to identify how far out and where, but certainly the junction
mentioned is part of this consideration. A challenge of course is that phasing in favour of one direction of travel
causes congestion for another. We expect that a report will be developed by the second quarter of 2018. We
are also looking at ways for this project to capture the views of fans and residents.

Q8. Are there any options for improving walking routes to town (e.g. by the canal)?

A8. As part of the future of the Etihad Campus we are looking at the walking/cycling routes from the Campus to
the city centre and in turn, onward to All Saints and Birley Campus. We are also looking at a similar route that
will link to Victoria/Noma – and then of course how we can ensure these are safe, maintained and well-used.

Q9. Brighton had bars open in the ground after the game. Is this a possibility, or is City Square the only option for
fans to hang around and let traffic / tram queues dissipate?

A9. We have previously opened bars post-match within the stadium, however take up was minimal. There are
currently no plans for the bars to remain open inside the stadium. City Square enables all supporters to view
the post-match analysis and make use of the surrounding facilities.

TICKETING
Q10. Matches selling out at higher points. This may be to do with the quality of football and likelihood of winning,
but the number of away tickets siphoned off to “Seasonal Hospitality Supporters, Football Management,
Players, Club Partners” is of concern, especially when a whole row of seats at away grounds may remain empty,
or there are a large number of “tourists” (foreign and domestic), and home supporters in away ends. Are away
tickets allocated to corporate clients, even if not requested? The phrase is “seasonal hospitality supporters”;
are they - and tickets to “Club Partners” issued on the understanding that tickets are used by City supporters?

A10 At the point a supporter qualifies to purchase, it is their choice as to whether they attend the match, and as a
result purchase a ticket. This determines the availability. Inevitably, some matches will sell out quicker than
others due to the opposition, date and kick-off time. Tickets are not ‘siphoned off’; the Club has always been
transparent in terms of away allocations and the number of different supporter groups that are allocated
tickets. The largest allocation has always and continues to be those that are distributed to supporters through
the Ticket Points system.

Q11. It’s obviously inconvenient for supporters and the club if a direct debit payment is rejected. Could the email
about payment for tickets on the cup schemes be sent before payment is taken?

A11. Direct Debit is used for payment of a Seasoncard. Cup Scheme payments are taken from a credit/debit card.
The date for Cup Scheme payment is part of the ticket sales criteria, which is published on the website though
we will consider the above request.

STANDING
Q12. This seems to have settled somewhat, though children and others who want to sit are still to be found in areas
where seating is not enforced. Huddersfield have allocated a block for away supporters (where sitting will be
enforced) and that will be interesting to see.

A12. We have worked closely with supporters in relation to this matter and have considered all feedback received.
We are happy to work with any supporter in relation to this matter as we continue to provide a safe and
enjoyable matchday experience for all.

ATMOSPHERE
Q13. The short films (This is our City) are cheesy at best, and some felt were a “joke”. Has Blue Moon been cut from
the pre-match playlist?

A13. Response to the video has been extremely positive. 88% of fans from the UK rated the video as either ‘good’ or
‘very good’. We have a range of different content and musical options which are used leading up to kick-off.
These are regularly reviewed and updated to ensure that we continue to provide a wide variety to suit all.
`
Q14. More corporate customers do nothing for atmosphere (empty seats, especially at start of second half), and
extra income is at expense of goodwill of longstanding supporters. What happened to the idea of a “thick and
thin” club for longstanding and longsuffering Blues?

A14. The Club provides several ticketing and hospitality offerings to enable all supporters to choose how they’d like
to enjoy their matchday. Every individual plays their part in supporting the team. A large number of our
hospitality supporters have followed the Club for many years, and are as passionate about the Club, as their
fellow supporter.

PUBLIC ADDRESS SYSTEM
Q15. There are some parts of the ground where announcements cannot be heard (109/110 cited). Are stewards
asked to report such failures, or are there other checks (during matches)? However, the announcements at
the Academy stadium are deafening.

A15. In order for the Club to be issued with its annual Safety Certificate, the certification process requires the Etihad
Stadium Public Address/Voice Alarm system to be tested annually by an approved contractor for audible and
intelligibility levels. The system has to meet the required standards. This means that should the Voice Alarm be
required for any given emergency announcement, the system will give the required level of audibility and
intelligibility. The Voice Alarm passed this test. The Club is aware that in some areas of the Etihad Stadium the
performance of the Public-Address system is resulting in supporters experiencing fluctuating levels of audibility
and intelligibility. To assist us in resolving these issues we are undertaking an acoustic survey. Feedback will be
provided to the Academy Stadium Manager.

CATERING
Q16. Still queries over speed of service, during half-time especially (leading to people starting to leave seats up to
ten minutes before half-time). Another security-related issue is not allowing children to take in drinks when
the only option in the stadium is sugar-packed soft drinks or water at £2.50 a bottle (dearer than coffee).
Selling high-sugar sweets (from a machine) also seems unhealthy.

A16 40% of our sales on a matchday take place during half time. We are mindful that there is a limited amount of
time for fans to make purchases and as such have implemented initiatives including pre-ordering and cashless
bars. We are also in the process of developing a web/app based ordering service that can be accessed before
arrival to the stadium. All of our food bars and most beer bars now serve the full range of Zero products from
Coke. Coke Zero, Fanta Zero, Sprite Zero, Dr Pepper Zero. We will continue to listen to feedback to ensure that
our catering provision reflects the preferences of our fans.

Q17. Pies and other food could be sold in hygienic sealed wrapping. Has this been considered?

A17 All of our hot food is cooked on site. We comply to the highest hygiene health and safety legislation. We also
employ a full time Health and Safety Officer who undertakes random checks at every match. Our packaging is
all purposely chosen to match each item served.

Q18. The selection of pies is displayed on screens but doesn’t always say it’s for pies, and doesn’t give the price.

A18 This will be corrected.

PUBLIC RELATIONS
Q19. Wenger’s comments about Sterling brought no disciplinary measures against him although clearly against Premier League rules. Did the club make any representations to the PL or the FA?

A19. Formal representations to the Premier League or The FA were not made. We were disappointed with Arsene Wenger’s comments regarding Raheem, however pleased that the vast majority of commentators and media did not share his view.

Q20. Any movement on direct contact with fans (e.g. Points of Blue as previously)?

A20. In December 2017, the Club will be launching an on-going programme of monthly Official Supporter Club branch visits commencing in the Greater Manchester area. Club representatives from a number of departments, ranging from Operations and Infrastructure, to City TV and Digital, will attend meetings to provide fans with an insight into the inner workings of Manchester City off the pitch. We are also working on another initiative to improve structured dialogue between the Club and supporters and further information will be announced on the website, later this season.

"A10 Tickets are not ‘siphoned off’; the Club has always been
transparent in terms of away allocations and the number of different supporter groups that are allocated
tickets. "

Complete fiction.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.