Defensive Midfield Targets/Options

Not really. His positional sense is dreadful. Sometimes he can tackle someone close to him, but he often misses the key opponent because he's in the wrong place and doesn't have the pace or anticipation to get there.

Kante and Wanyama are on a completely different level. De Jong was better as a pure DM too. Fernando is one of our biggest disappointments of recent transfer windows. He needs to go.

yup

I get we need new fullbacks , I also understand we need another keeper and perhaps a new centre half

But...

The position we are crying out for is the defensive midfielder , pivot , anchor - call it what you want

Yaya can play it but isn't mobile enough anymore
Fernandinho can play it but has declined this season
Gundogan could step in but hasn't proved his fitness over a season as yet
Garcia doesn't look ready yet
Silva ? Would be a great playmaker from deep but not robust enough

Who are the alternatives in te transfer market, who could we get to step straight into the team to fill this crucial role?

Carvalho , is he mobile enough ? Is his passing good enough?
Fabinho , looks like a box to box midfielder to me , we need someone who will control the play from deep
Kroos , probably not obtainable and is he good enough defensively ?

We are looking for someone in the Busquets, Lahm or Alonso class here , I can't think of anyone we could realistically get ?

I think if you have enough energy and ability in your midfield you don't need an out and out DM, or at least not a beast of an enforcer. From Pep's prior teams I think he would agree. However, we have done well over recent years when we had a talisman in midfield, Viera, Barry, DeJong, Yaya have at times all bossed the midfield for us. Without Yaya, or when his legs cant keep him up with play, we look a little light. I think a lot depends on the defense and VK, he adds so much in terms of leadership and physical presence, keep him fit or find a pair of CBs that offer the same and it changes the dynamic of what you need midfield.

We desperately need an out and out DM we also need two quality full backs to play on either side of him - all with power and pace to burn.

The problem is that we need more than just a DM nowadays. It's not enough to have a player that just breaks up attacks and passes it to the more talented player next to them. Whoever we bring in is likely to be replacing Yaya too, which means they need a world class range of passing capable of running games at the highest level. Otherwise we'll have Kev and Dave having to collect the ball from deep all the time.

The problem is that we need more than just a DM nowadays. It's not enough to have a player that just breaks up attacks and passes it to the more talented player next to them. Whoever we bring in is likely to be replacing Yaya too, which means they need a world class range of passing capable of running games at the highest level. Otherwise we'll have Kev and Dave having to collect the ball from deep all the time.

Julian Weigl.

Same De Jong that was a backup when we won the league?

He was a defencive midfield and I didnt say he was ever present and we do still need the option in the squad

If I remember correctly he was involved in the movement that ended with the Aguero goal and played a prominent part in our away victory against Newcastle.

Just off the top of my head.

Surely it hasnt taken until page 5 to mention the legendary,mythical and all round midfield God that was NDJ.....??

Scandalous!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.