Post Match Thread: City 2-0 Watford

smart tactical switch from the manager won us the game yesterday, always more than one way to skin a cat

really pleased for raheem looked liked a weight lifted off his shoulders, i expect him to play with more freedom from now on

onwards and upwards

I'd just to point out to all those media personel, who seem to be suggesting that our first half performance was lethargic, that they can go and fuck themselves.

I thought we were dominant in the first half, playing against a 5-5-0, very well organised Watford team.

I'm not sure what we are supposed to do sometimes. I'll tell you now, Arsenal, who play the same kind of football, would have lost that game. We were disciplined, patient and made the right changes at the right times, both in the people and tactically.

I think we are a world class central midfield player away from putting in a challenge for the champions league. The squad is incredible.

Well done to all on another top performance.

Who needs Pogba when we have Fernandinho ?

The most under rated player in the league.
Just flicking through this thread properly for the first time, hence the late reply
Have to say, Fern is possibly the most underrated player in the league. His value to the side cannot be stressed highly enough. We seem to have a worthy successor to NDJ, with the added bonus that he's going to weigh in with a few goals during the season (Nigel's one major weakness).

We have looked awesome so far this seaon, some of the play going forward is superb to watch & we have looked good defensively too. The players really look up for it at the moment, even in the dying minutes of a game, which was lacking at times last year.

I think a big difference this season is that Pellers is not changing the back 4 every game. As a result I think we have looked solid defensively, Kolarov & Sagna look like world beaters at the moment. Kolarov was busting a gut to get forward at every opportunity, not seen any stats but he must have covered some distance yesterday. Vinnie & Mangala starting to look like a very good CB partnership too. Also last season Pellers seemed to altenate between Fernandinho & Fernando, I think we always look much better with Fernandino, who has been excellent so far. Adding Sterling has been a masterstroke too, I've been very impressed how quickly he has fitted into the team, the fee we paid for him will soon seem like a bargain in my opinion & the "expert" pundits saying we paid too much for him will look foolish. I believe that we have the best three players in the PL in Silva, Aguero & Toure, all three are genuinely world class & a joy to watch. I think Navas has had a good start to the season, but he was disappointing yesterday IMO, he gave the ball away cheaply too many times & we looked better when Nasri came on. If KBD comes in to replace him then we will be even stronger than we are at the moment. I hope we keep Nasri, I think he is underrated by many & is one of the best players in the league on his day.

I think Pellers has learned from some of his errors last year, I like that he has so far kept a winning team & doesn't make changes for the sake of it. Our first 11 is very strong, the test will be if we get a few injuries to see if the squad is as good as we think. It's a great time to be watching CIty!

We have looked awesome so far this seaon, some of the play going forward is superb to watch & we have looked good defensively too. The players really look up for it at the moment, even in the dying minutes of a game, which was lacking at times last year.

I think a big difference this season is that Pellers is not changing the back 4 every game. As a result I think we have looked solid defensively, Kolarov & Sagna look like world beaters at the moment. Kolarov was busting a gut to get forward at every opportunity, not seen any stats but he must have covered some distance yesterday. Vinnie & Mangala starting to look like a very good CB partnership too. Also last season Pellers seemed to altenate between Fernandinho & Fernando, I think we always look much better with Fernandino, who has been excellent so far. Adding Sterling has been a masterstroke too, I've been very impressed how quickly he has fitted into the team, the fee we paid for him will soon seem like a bargain in my opinion & the "expert" pundits saying we paid too much for him will look foolish. I believe that we have the best three players in the PL in Silva, Aguero & Toure, all three are genuinely world class & a joy to watch. I think Navas has had a good start to the season, but he was disappointing yesterday IMO, he gave the ball away cheaply too many times & we looked better when Nasri came on. If KBD comes in to replace him then we will be even stronger than we are at the moment. I hope we keep Nasri, I think he is underrated by many & is one of the best players in the league on his day.

I think Pellers has learned from some of his errors last year, I like that he has so far kept a winning team & doesn't make changes for the sake of it. Our first 11 is very strong, the test will be if we get a few injuries to see if the squad is as good as we think. It's a great time to be watching CIty!

I think that should read 'not changing the back 4 every game, YET'. He has blown 30 mil on a spare cb. He will almost certainly start messing around once the work permit arrives & Zaba gets fit.

Other than that looming threat, we look in absolutely fantastic shape. All of the players are putting a shift in, even Yaya & Nasri, & Sterling is great in both directions.

There was a case yesterday, when Watford had the bus severely parked, that a more traditional cf whould have perhaps opened them up, & we looked a bit predictable (they defended brilliantly) but we would normally have Bony for that job. When Sterling moved centrally, the difference having him there, compared to watching Dzeko, Balotelli etc lumbering around in recent years, it looked absolutely electric. Even Aguero looked a bit slow off the mark at times by comparison & failed to pass to him on several occasions, when he made light speed runs. He also got across the defender & scored at the near post, something we so often could have done last season but hung back instead.

Sterling has brought us so much already, but imo it's just the tip of the iceberg. He is picking up the magic from Silva & learning to get on the same level with the 1-2s etc (he learned a fair bit from Surez tbf) but he can go past players, he can track back at pace & stop attacks, he is the player we have needed all along.

He is the No1 signing imo, with just Sterling, it still would have been a great transfer window. But DeBruyne will add another dimension entirely.

I can't even imagine how far this team could progress if the manager gets the blend/tactics right for each opponent.

Excellent point
The international break could be a good thing for us because I think we have been so pumped up in the first 4 games that there is a danger that we may burn ourselves out not just physically but emotionally. It can't be easy to keep playing at such a high intensity so I think 2 weeks to regroup, let De Bruyne settle in and get Sergio up to 100% fitness could be just what we need and then come back re-energized to keep the winning streak going.

Good summary for me - couldn't agree more.

Watford fan, have to say lads you were superb yesterday. We were obviously on a damage limitation exercise - newly promoted, the last thing we would want at this stage was a good dicking. I know we got one, but the score-line doesn't reflect that. Watching players like Silva and Sagna, however much it grated was good to see. I thought we defended well for the majority, but one lapse and then a well worked move following a fortunate ricochet sealed the game. Our season will not be defined at places such as here, but we may be able to take some confidence from our defensive tactics to push on now and try and stay in this league for more than the usual one season!

Have to say as well, your support was very, very decent. Good work and not too much mickey taking either... I sincerely hope you win the league. Good luck, see you back at the Vic'.

Everything you said is right apart from the completely different player part. He's done this for the best part of two seasons but the formation has left him ruthlessly exposed. With a tighter midfield and Yaya pulling his socks up a bit more he's showing how much of a complete midfielder he really is.

Great result. We played well again but Watford deserve credit for their first half performance, we probed but they played very well and were very well organised. The most pleasing thing was to see Pellegrini change it early and recognise it needed something different. We don't need to rely on just 1 style of play now we have numerous weapons and it's his job to find the oppositions weakness and utilise our weapons effectively. Today he done it perfectly.

Navas is a weird one. This season he's been in some of the best form he's ever had at City, including today, but unfortunately for him, Sterling has highlighted his weaknesses.

I predicted a big game and a goal from sterling today with Watford doubling up on Silva, he certainly delivered, the frightening thing is, there's still plenty of work to be done by him on the training pitch, he needs to learn how to shoot and specifically put power in his shots. His crossing could do with some work too but when you've got Kolarov almost always right behind you that's not something you need to worry about.

Defence were solid again, they look well drilled they cover each other and Dinho is a machine in being there to mop up in and around the edge of the box when a player is beaten, Vinny's got them organised, Mangala looks unbeatable and the fullbacks have both been excellent. Also great to see the work rate from the defenders and in particular Mangala when coming back from a corner, as soon as Mangala realises the ball isn't coming to him he turns and sprints 50-60 yards to get back into position and help stop any potential break. Fantastic to see.

Would never begrudge Fernandinho MOTM award as he's my favourite player and deserves every award he gets, but i thought it should of gone to Sagna today, who was superb yet again. Second half watching him close up from 114 there was a period of pressure from watford and Sagna won absolutely everything. He first came out of nowhere to slide in and block a shot that looked like it could of been heading in, then he was the first to the ball from the resulting corner, the ball came back in, sagna again clears, they attack down our right, he tries to outrun sagna, he was having none of it then finally a few seconds later after our attack broke down they threatened to break and Sagna charged back and made an inch perfect sliding tackle. He's certainly making a hell of a lot of people on here look like complete muppets. Long may it continue.

Oh and one last thing, i don't mind Watford in general, there's plenty of teams their fans could of supported instead of them and i know it was probably just a handful of absolute morons but it reflects badly on their entire fanbase when somebody is sad enough to bring a man united scarf to the game (not even a half/half scarf) with them and throw it into our end in the first half. Talk about small time...

Mate, they annoy us as much as they do you! We were slagging off the idiots who started singing United - problem is they're not even day trippers, like when we played you in the cup - they're an embarrassment. You did well, now go win the league!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.